E1e-6RGB mod

McGizmo

Flashaholic
In the never ending pursuit of ........... nah, let me start over......

Commissioned by special forces to provide a tactical toy as well as babe magnet for off duty down time.....Well that's a blatant lie....

OK, I'm not sure why I made this but the parts were there and it was one of those things you find yourself compelled to do.

head.jpg

components.jpg

Early version MadMax drives 6 RGB flashing LED's at a typical voltage of 3.5 on a single 123 cell.

In a dark room with a white wall at a distance for target, this light makes you want to grab a bag of munchies and reflect on college days gone by; that is if you're an old fart like me.

thumb.jpg

I plan to field test this light by hanging it from a neck chain and going skinny dipping in a neighbor's dark swimming pool. I can test a certain lanyard stub tail switch at the same time. With successful field test results, I will then move on to a new version of a dive helmet. This is another blatant lie. Perhaps I didn't even make this mod..............

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, a new, smaller version of a disco light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice Don, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
a question though, what is the color of the led at the very bottom? it does not seem to emit any light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Shiftd,

I believe that LED was in blue fade out mode at the moment of the photo. It's real hard to get a shot with all the lights behaving properly. I'm just glad I didn't get enough of these LED's from Wayne to repopulate my KL2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
AHHHHH
you mean these leds are all emit RGB randomly? that explains it. I thought you use only red, blue and green leds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice work!

in fact...it's rather groovy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
That must be crazy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You HAVE to make a vid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wasnt one of these shown in the CPF get together thread?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don, you are definitely having fun with your skills! After all the hard "enjoyable" work that you put into your artful mods...it's gotta feel good to come up with something as different as this in an E1E!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey!!! I thot you was busy! Oh, I get it -- busy with stuff like this!!!

Interesting and...different...and...why am I getting hungry...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
...I wonder if there is a way to get them all to fade or change colors at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was kind of a question I had, but the picture answered it for me.
It looks as though there is no way to synchronize the colors.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh, time to get the Dremel tool buzzin' again. How did the lights look with each one cycling under it's own timing? Would be nice to be able to synchronize, but then again we would probably not be able to get these so cheap.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder what the quantity pricing would be for say, 200. It *would* be a spendy string of lights.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don's mod reminds me of a "polychromatron" that I made in the 70s. It was simply a few strands of blinking Christmas tree lights (R, G, and B only). I placed the lights inside a large, frosted, sculptured lamp globe about 15 inches in diameter.

When turned on, it seemed that an infinite number of color patterns would move over the surface of the globe. It was more hypnotic than watching a fireplace.

Gosh. Now, where did I store that thing . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two of them for $2 each at www.LSdiodes.com, plus $2 shipping. I'm still waiting for them to come in.
Even if you could get them for $1 each, still a very pricey string.

When I bought them, I thought they only flashed red - green - blue. I didn't know it was like a miniature lightwasher.
I saw a video of an arc AAA with one of these in it here a day or so ago. It is a neat little LED.

*EDIT* Here is the link to the video:
Arc Christmas AAA . It is less the 500k, if you've not seen one of these in action, it's worth the time, even on dial-up. *EDIT*

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie, I needed a play break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This weekend will be back to the serious stuff.

The LED's all start in sequence but over time get out of sequence. I think this makes for a more interesting wash of color anyway.

Had I used 6 Nichia 500's this might have been a good useful pocket light. Then again, I think I might have enough useful pocket lights. I think a rubber boot over the head with a thick bundle of fiber optic strands might be the ticket for this. For an EDC, I put this light on par with the Maxi-Beam but this light is a bit easier to carry. A white paper napkin makes an instant diffusing lamp globe that is great at occupying simple minds; trust me.

- Don

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shankus,

The light strings I was speaking of are older than you're thinking -- the latest technology of the early 70s. The strings are actually sockets with screw-in bulbs, I think about the 4 to 6 watt size. So you can select whatever color balance you prefer. I chose mostly blue since they were dimmer.

Paul

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now we know what model of tactical light Austin Powers carries.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very cool mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif