Ugliest brand youve never given a chance?

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I have owned pretty much every brand of LED flashlight at one point or another. Some just to try out for a bit and then sell them, but there is one brand that I have never given a chance.

Eagletac

Although I cant really put my finger on why, I just think that ALL Eagletac lights are just plain ugly. No offense to Eagletac fans, and Im not bashing them as I admittedly have never even given them a chance. I have looked over their specs and some are very impressive, but I just think they are all U.G.L.Y. Especially the "military series". The M3C4 just looks so "out of balance" I guess... I have read good things about them, but I just cant bring myself to even try one of them.

And yes, yes, I do understand that flashlights are used in the DARK and the aesthetics are not as important as performance, but I do like a sexy light and to me, the Eagletac's are the ugly stepchild of LED lights.

So, for you "seasoned flashaholics" (and by seasoned I mean have owned more than one brand of light and consider yourself a flashaholic... (you are one when you say you are one)), is there a particular brand that YOU find too ugly to even try?

Or am I alone here?

lovecpf

EDIT: oh, I forgot another big one. Streamlight Terribly ugly.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix TK30 looks kinda goofy (someone referred to it as a candy apple). When I was looking for lights around a year ago I saw the TK40 and wanted it, but I wanted a light that used 18650s. I found the TK30 but I thought it looked terrible initially, but I eventually thought it looked OK and its the brightest light I own at the moment. I love the light, especially after changing the emitter to a warm MCE. I won't try ICON because of their looks and I don't "get them".

indychris

Newly Enlightened
I rather like the way my T20C2 MKII looks.
eusa_think.gif

recDNA

Flashaholic
eusa_think.gif

+1 but I don't like the looks of any of their M2X series even though I do like how they work!

I think anything with a heavily crenelated bezel scares me off on looks alone.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
From the depths of cheapo Dx, there is FandyFire. I delve in the low budget lights from time to time, but I don't think I will ever touch a light that has that printed on the side.
sku_90124_1.jpg

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Any light that looks like a plunger, regardless of brand.

Nap.

Nah, its gotta be a brand. Several brands make "plunger" lights but this thread is not about the ugly type of lights, but about the ugly brand of lights that you wont consider because of that. You can think of one, cant you?

From the depths of cheapo Dx, there is FandyFire. I delve in the low budget lights from time to time, but I don't think I will ever touch a light that has that printed on the side.
sku_90124_1.jpg

Good God! I thought I had heard of / seen all the "...fire" lights but FandyFire I think tops the cake. I agree, that logo uglies up a light really quickly!

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I won't try ICON because of their looks and I don't "get them".

THIS is the kind of answer Im looking for! I agree with you on the main icon lights however the carabiner one is slightly interesting with the clip (I dont own one though) but I DO like the Irix II headlight.

eusa_think.gif

I said "no offense to the eagletac fans"! So which brand do you NOT like the looks of to the point that you wouldnt buy one?

beerwax

Enlightened
looks are so important. i dont care if my light cant cook or clean or costs too much to run. so long as it looks good.

no seriously its becoming an issue. ive gone off black lights or aggressive designs so its lean pickings out there for me.

saw some photos of a damascus steel lf2 that got me interested. and a copper/berylium one

cheers

Last edited:

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
Maglite. Pretty much the entire lineup. Don't really care if they r a traditional design. They look cheap. Perform cheap and r essentially the hallmark of a big pointless design. They don't evolve. They don't change much and overall they make mr laugh. Don't care if u can put awesome mods in them. Out of the blister pack they just look terrible

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back in the day when Flashlight Reviews was my favorite site, Doug had a page of Five Star rated lights. One light he raved about was Heliotek. I just couldn't stand that light even though I usually base all my decisions on technical merits and NOT appearence.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yea, I guess it's the ICON for me also. They do absolutely nothing for me. But I agree with recDNA also, heavily crenelated bezels are ugly also.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Fenix. Just me, matter of opinion, no right or wrong...They just have a plasticky look to many of the ones whose specs I would otherwise be interested in. A little too simple/utilitarian for my taste. If I'm going to pay a premium price I want something that looks premium too.

Napalm

Enlightened
Nah, its gotta be a brand. Several brands make "plunger" lights but this thread is not about the ugly type of lights, but about the ugly brand of lights that you wont consider because of that. You can think of one, cant you?

Doesn't work like that with me. The fact that Honda produced this first gen of Insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HondaInsight.jpg

would not prevent me from looking into their Accord line.

Nap.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
sku_90124_1.jpg

I think if I told a coworker I was buying a FandyFire I'd get beat down and painted pink :eek:oo:

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
ICON for me too, they just look like toys with the weird designs and the anodizing looks it will wear very fast.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Never really cared for the looks of most "tactical" lights. Too much stylin' going on. And Icon is just strange, and too big for my liking.

Geoff