Surefire E1b or Olight M20 r5 Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClownFish801

Banned
Hello I am looking for a camping light and have my eye on the Surefire E1B Backup and the Olight M20 r5 Warrior. I am looking for pretty good throw and good quality. Can anyone please help this is my first thread.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Hey there! :welcome: in regards to your question, it just depends how much runtime and capabilities you want. The E1B will give you decent throw I think, but limited runtime and modes, but is quite small and pocketable and light weight. The M20 will give you more throw I believe, and much more lumens. It also runs on rechargeables so you will not need to spend a lot of cash on primaries. The M20 is also hella tough and won't be hurt if you drop it down a few stories (witness the M20 youtube torture test vid). But the caveat is that the M20 is much larger and bulky, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're hiking (holster carry). Runtime is also greater on the M20 depending on what mode you use.
Hope that helps, dude.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No experience on the Olight, but there are also alot of E1B fans here. TIR Lens, awesome throw on high. Can easily attached to a hat via the clip. Awesome runtime on low. My $.02.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally own an Olight M21 and I15...both are great lights, very good quality. I would suggest you go for the Olight because it can be used with either two CR123s or a single 18650 rechargeable Li-Ion which can deliver about two hours runtime on high....which is quite a bit of light...enough so that you may not need to run it on high especially as a camping light.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I own both.
Overall, I enjoy the E1B more.
However, my Olight experienced many problems, but that was only because I realized the LED components had come loose in the head, which I fixed by tightening everything up with special needlenose tweezers. Also, the Olight M20 beam quality is utter trash. I own BOTH the smooth and orange peel reflectors, and the orange peel reflector is actually just as trashy as the smooth reflector. The beam profile is almost as horrible as all Rayovac flashlights in existence. (Brutally honest here, because companies who put out garbage for which people spend their money, need to suffer the consequence of a bad reputation...for putting out such horrible lights).

On the other hand, I also own the M20s. Now this is a great light for you to consider. I own the original M20s. I'm not sure which LED is has, but it is NOT the 2nd-gen M20s, which cnotains the "S2" LED. Anyway, excellent beam, 4 modes, slightly greenish-blue tint, but it will make you happy in almost all areas.

E1B makes a great EDC (every day carry) or backup light, but it is certainly not a camping light. Best of luck.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are looking at two totally different lights in two totally different classes. To me you should be comparing the E1B to other single cr123 lights and the M20 to other single 18650 lights and then decide from there. Just about everything is different between these two lights. I think you need to decide what you are looking for (size, type of batteries, throw vs. flood, run time, UI, total output, etc) and then go from there.

You question is like asking if you should buy a Lotus Elise or a Mercedes S class. Two totally different cars.

ClownFish801

Banned
Thanks guys I really appreciate it I will probably get the surefire e1b but if somebody who owns the e2dl defender has any thing to say please intervene I am looking for cr123 batteries and good throw (or spot).

Tommygun45

Enlightened
+1 on not being able to compare these two. You def don't want to take the E1b camping, in my opinion. The high mode will only run on one battery for about an hour and a half. Also its a fairly narrow beam. It throws alright but really doesnt compare to something like a Quark Turbo. I would highly suggest looking at the Quarks. They have a low mode that runs for a month. Literally. The high modes are higher and have more output and run for over twice as long as the E1B. They also have a bunch of modes in between. If youre going to be in the woods potentially away from batteries or electricity sources the E1B might be the last light I bring. However, it is arguably my favorite light of all of my lights. Its small and compact and puts out a great beam. (TIR artifacts aside) Its built wonderfully and feels excellent in the hand. If my life were on the line Id trust it as much as any light I own. However, I wouldnt bring it camping, its just not that kind of light. If youre looking for a good camping light and want a Surefire, the E2L Outdoorsman would be a far better choice. Its name alone should let you know that. If youre set on Surefire's the LX2 would also be in the running for a pretty good camp light. The A2L as well, given its great flood modes. Aside from that look at the Quarks, found at www.4sevens.com. They are good lights and much more versatile than the E1b. If you get the funds, grab an E1b eventually but don't make it your one and only light. Hope that helps.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to ClownFish --

Don't you already HAVE a thread on this question ? ? ?

:confused:
_

TomnAl

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the SureFire E1B although lower in lumen rating !
This is because the E1B is extremely tough , in quality : better than the Olight counterpart !
Small and lightweight , major pros in camping !
2 way clip , slap it onto your hat and you got a serious headlamp !
Serous thrower , TIR lens : Max throw with generous spill !
Warranty , lifetime ! Translation : No worries be happy ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.