Is the Fenix TK45 or iTP A6 still worth getting?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so there are loads of reviews of this torch and I really like the look of it, but with the plethora of XM-L lights coming out, is the TK45 still worth getting?

For me the more flood / less throw is good, so I'm not too keen on the new TK41 (but like that it now has the same side switch as the TK45).

Would you still buy one?

Another possibility, though not as good as the TK45 is the iTP A6, again, is this still worth getting?

kj2

Flashaholic
Well. I have a TK41 and a TK35. Both very nice, good light. Both with XM-L led.
But still, I want to get a TK45. Not for the throw but for the flood. And the 45 looks very cool with his 3 heads :D

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a "big" floody light, it is worth it today but there are a number of other companies coming out with triple XML lights that will be even more floody and just as bright (quite a bit brighter in some cases). Most of those use 18650 cells though and I am guessing you want to stay with NiMh AA cells? I know of one triple XML coming that uses NiMh C cells.

If the money is not an ojbect, forget the A6.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the TK45 and the A6, and I really like the TK45 a lot more than the A6. I agree with others here that say you should get the TK45 if money is not a concern, but the A6 is still really fun if you don't want to shell out for the TK45.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TK45 and the TK35. The TK45 is definitely more floody and has a really nice tint. It is great running on 8-Eneloop AAs!

The TK35 is a little less floody and punches out to a good distance.

I think the TK45 and the TK35 make a great pair. I love each of them and wouldn't want to give up either. The TK41 is less suited for general use and is really well suited to throwing.

The TK45 is more suitable for limited distance use where you want a lot of flood in a near-field range, with little need for distant illumination.

The TK35 is more suitable when you want a bright floody light that also gives a potent and still broad central beam - situations where you want a lot of light at mid to greater distances, more throwy than the TK45, but not at all too narrowly focused. The TK35 is perhaps the ideal general use XM-L light for outdoor use. A great blend of flood and throw in a very compact form factor that runs on two 18650's.

I got my TK45 first and loved it, but when I added the TK35, I was blown away at the TK35's potency.

The TK35 boggles my mind.... it's an amazing light. And I still appreciate the TK45 as well.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
The TK45 remains one of my favorite lights. It's bright, solid, and looks great. There is nothing significantly brighter until you get into triple-XML or SST-90 territory.

Best of all, it runs forever. Of my entire collection, if I could only have one light in a true emergency, the TK45 would be it.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashflood... I agree that the TK45 is a great light, though a bit odd looking with it's three hydra heads cobbled together. Performs wonderfully, though. I got my TK45 before getting my TK35.

When I got my TK35, I found it totally blows the TK45 away, however, being strikingly more potent in an outdoor setting. As you feel about the TK45 being your ultimate emergency light (I thing it's a great choice for that myself) if I had 18650s or CR123's, I would probably choose the TK35 because it offers fantastic flood, but also really punches out brilliantly a much greater distances than the TK45 can.

I do prefer the side switch on the TK45 to the two end switches on the TK35 because the interface is easier to operate. And I appreciate the ability to run the TK45 with AA Eneloops and other commonly available AA cells if necessary. That can be an important factor in some situations.

But when I've got 18650's at hand and I'm stepping out into the greater outdoors (I live on 5 wooded acres in a very wooded area of properties with 5-25 acres) the TK35 is easily my light of choice and it never fails to amaze people that I show it too outside at night. Mind boggling, really. It gives me the sense that nothing can hide in the darkness on my property when I've got the TK35 in my hand... it almost turns night into day.

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Indeed. And it will be yard sweeper light, no make that a field sweeper light if they put xm-l in it.

flashflood

Enlightened
Provably fenix is going to update the tk45 with 3x xm-l in it. Just a wild guess. :).

I think you meant "probably", although "provably" would make me very happy!

I hope they do this -- I really like the TK45 look, feel, build, UI, brightness, tint, beam, runtime, and 8xAA power. A winner on all counts.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. And it will be yard sweeper light, no make that a field sweeper light if they put xm-l in it.

With the limited range of the current XP-G TK45, it is a yard sweeper now...and a great yard sweeper it is... but definitely not a field sweeper. The TK45 gives a broad and bright beam, but its relatively unfocused lumens really begin to run out of steam at 30-40 yards or so. Swap the XP-Gs for XM-Ls and I think you're right... it will become a field sweeper!

richpalm

Banned
I've got a TK-45... horribly green compared to newer XP-G's I have. I don't use it, but don't have the patience to sell, either.

Tried to get it open to replace emitters-no way... I couldn't do it with every method I've seen on CPF for getting lights opened.

Rich

flashflood

Enlightened
I've got a TK-45... horribly green compared to newer XP-G's I have. I don't use it, but don't have the patience to sell, either.

Tried to get it open to replace emitters-no way... I couldn't do it with every method I've seen on CPF for getting lights opened.

Rich

Wow, I've never heard of tint issues with TK45. When did you get it? Mine is from November 2010 or so.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I've heard of tint issues with the TK-45 also.

My recently purchased (early April 2011) TK-45 has an absolutely beautiful beam and tint... slightly cool, but closer to neutral than anything else with no coloration tint.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys,
I guess I've read your mind on the "TK45 with 3 XM-L's in it :devil:" and several days ago I decided to send Fenix an e-mail, basically telling them that for some folks at "candlepowerforums" this would be THE ultimate flashlight (including me :whistle: ). Here is their response:

"Hello Delcho​
Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.​
Thank you very much for your kindly suggestion to the TK45, though we don't have the update plan at present for this model, I can forward your suggestion to the R&D department for their reference in the future design, it will be noticed well.​
Best regards!"

So let's all hope that one day in the near future we will see it on their website.

If this happens, you owe me a good beer, preferably on the shores of the Mediterranean sea ( I'm a modest guy :thumbsup: )

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reasons I am interested in the TK45 and asked the original question are:

on/off swith on the side
runs on AA
has a floody beam
very high output or low for a very long time
looks
solid build

My concern, if the LEDs were update to XML, is would the beam characteristics be lost and it end up more of a thrower?

From everything that has been said, it looks like I should go for it. If Fenix don't currently have plans to update it, it will be a while even if they do. In its current configuration it ticks all the boxes and it still seem to be a favourite despite how long it has been around for.

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
Wow, I've never heard of tint issues with TK45. When did you get it? Mine is from November 2010 or so.

Got mine around the same time. It is green compared to my other XP-G's and XM-L's. It wouldn't bother most people, but it ain't good enough for me. That plus dealing with all those AA's is a pain. I get more out of my homebuilt triples with one cell and nice tints.

Rich

Richub

Enlightened
I'd say the TK45 is definitively still worth getting. Both in looks and performance.

As said earlier, it's a flooder pur sang.
I can imagine caving with a TK45 would be a thrill. Too much throw in a cave or any limited space is only a waste of light.

I own both TK35 and TK45, and the TK35 is much more an outdoor light. The TK45 is better suited for smaller areas or confined spaces.