Your Ideal LED Light

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your ideal light currently? We all want infinite lumens and runtime, focusable, perfect UI, completely waterproof, 100 CRI, etc. I'd like this thread to be realistic, lets say the light is possible within 1-2 years, but isn't here yet (if it is available let the person know). We are all members of CPF so obviously we will push the boundaries, but at least try to keep it somewhat realistic. Please try to limit your choices to the 4 attributes below. You can specify your attribute with a general statement or by comparing it to a specific light, such as floody/throwy beam, or ___ brand/model beam. List your attributes in order of importance (1 being most important and 4 least important). Please only choose 4 so we can attempt to maintain realistic goals for lights. This can obviously change so feel free to post often, for example if you found your perfect EDC and now need a _____ type light.
Attributes are listed below in alphabetical order (4 realistic ones please):

-Build (bezel type, clip options, durability, floating ability, fit and finish, lens type, materials, threads, waterproof rating, etc.)
-Customer Service (shipping time, support, turn around repair time, warranty, etc.)
-Output (beam profile, CRI, emitter, lumens, lux, tint, etc.)
-Power Options (battery type, multiple chemistry options, rechargeable support, runtimes, etc.)
-Random Preference (something not listed, we are all picky)
-Size (Length, Max Width, etc.)
-User Interface (focusable, modes, presets, program options, switch preference, etc.)

Comments/Discussion/Questions

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Customer Service (HDS customer service, lifetime warranty)
2. Output (1000+ lumens, Warm/High CRI, throw/flood balanced beam like Fenix TK30 beam)
3. Build (durable, adequate battery protection, IPX8 waterproof rating, metal body HA aluminum or SS)
4. Power Options (18650 and CR123s, 60 minutes on max output)

I have found my ideal EDC, but I'd love to see a big light with the HDS/Surefire warranty.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'd love to see a warm/ neutral version of McGizmo's LS20 head on a clicky body, with two levels of low flood ( moonlight and 5 lm.) with two levels of main beam. (75ish and 200ish) lumens. All accessible through the clicky in sequence, with memory. 1x123, RCR or primary, Titanium, no longer than my Haiku. Hey, may as well dream big! :)

nbp

Flashaholic
I'd love to see a warm/ neutral version of McGizmo's LS20 head on a clicky body, with two levels of low flood ( moonlight and 5 lm.) with two levels of main beam. (75ish and 200ish) lumens. All accessible through the clicky in sequence, with memory. 1x123, RCR or primary, Titanium, no longer than my Haiku. Hey, may as well dream big! :)

Sounds like a Don and Henry love-child. :naughty:

I'm in. :eek:oo:

shomie911

Enlightened

I think you won the thread.

Perfect use of the floody LEDs for the low output modes since they're more suited to close up tasks, a nice medium from the main LED for long-runtime, and a solid high-output mode for outdoor use. Use of High-CRI LEDs around the 3000-4000K color temperature would make this not only the perfect EDC, but possibly the only light I would need.

I normally don't buy the $300-700 customs, but if a light with these specifications were to be made in the future I don't think I'd be able to resist. :devil:

Lightman2

Enlightened
I'm easy ..... a Zebra light with a stiffer switch and a beacon mode. Oh and maybe a model that uses 2 x 123 lithiums. And I am sorry I raved about the easy on Zebra light switch which some, including I, had concerns abouts because I actually like the fact I can turn the light on by simply clenching my light holding hand. Won't be able to do that with a stiffer switch but it will eliminate some of those accidental activations. Fussy I know. And a tritium insert in the tailcaps of all models.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when the Ra Twisty was only a press release, I decided I wanted what amounts to the current EDC Rotary (though the entire back section would be the power dial, and the switch I had in mind at first was the Kroll - I since a piston-drive mechanism should also be practical). The idea then was only 3 stages, however, calibrated at 1, 60, and 1000 lumens. Using the XM-L and AW's IMR batteries, this is now feasible.

I'd be tempted to stretch it out to a 18500 for hand-filling size, and I'd add a bezel-down clip that allows it to sit very deep in the pocket. Two clips would ship with the light; one would sit below pocket level, and the other would leave 1/4" to 1/2" of the light protruding to allow it to be fetched from the pocket more easily. On the other hand, since it's happened before, three tail sizes would be offered - 18350, 18500, and 18650. This means the circuit would need to withstand up to 7.5 volts, just in case all you have to hand are RCRs and the big tailcap.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
1. 300+ lumen max output to .03 lumen low output
2. LOP reflector for good balance of flood and throw
3. Two mode programmable with two stage, forward-clicky tailcap (think Quark Tactical with Surefire 2 stage tailcap) which allows for two programmable, dual stage modes (both stages of tailcap programmable for a total of 4 user settings)
4. Interchangeable bodies for AA--AAx2--RCR123--18650

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I have two ideal lights.

EDIT: Egads, only four attributes? Here goes:

1. Double controls via a tactical tailcap and near-the-head button with a hybrid Surefire Tactical Tailcap and Zebralight SC51 control scheme (primary light levels instantly available with the highest output the first and quickest option, and secondary modes ala the SC51)
2. Removable grip that mounts on the head to disperse light and make into a candle
3. Output from .2 to 200 lumens
4. Environmentally sealed and can float

And now, for the original post:

1. A double-cell light made from some sturdy polymer that is environmentally sealed, can float, and withstand extreme impact and conditions. It would be tuned as a thrower but have a positive-click twisty head that raises the LED and makes it more floody in a pinch. It would have a removable handle covering that is normally a grip but can be removed, placed on the head, and used as a light disperser to use the flashlight as a suspended or tail-standing candle. It would have primary brightness levels that were instantly accessible via a Surefire Tactical Tailcap-style UI -- .2 lumens, 50 lumens, 200 lumens -- with other brightness levels --5 lumens, 25 lumens, and 100 lumens-- accessible via a Zebralight SC51-style UI (haven't tried the SC51 yet, but I like the sound of it now, and I like the it's quicker to get the high beam on the SC51, so I'd keep that feature on this light). There would be a tailcap button and a regular by-the-head handle button. I would want one of these in AA and CR123 types, as AA is more practical but CR123 is better for the instances of extreme conditions.

2. I like really small ones like the Photon Light, but I want one with more durability. If some company came out with an aluminum Photon Light (same size and specs as the PL2) it would be perfect. I'm hoping here that the aluminum construction would help keep the controls more durable. My PL2 still works after years of pocket abuse but sometimes I have to squeeze it a few times to make it turn on, which is not the end of the world, but it could be improved.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two ideal lights.

EDIT: Egads, only four attributes? Here goes:

1. Double controls via a tailcap and near-the-head button with a hybrid Surefire Tactical Tailcap and Zebralight SC51 control scheme
2. Output from .2 to 200 lumens
3. Removable grip that mounts on the head to disperse light and make into a candle
4. Environmentally sealed and can float

And now, for the original post:

1. A double-cell light made from some sturdy polymer that is environmentally sealed, can float, and withstand extreme impact and conditions. It would be tuned as a thrower but have a positive-click twisty head that raises the LED and makes it more floody in a pinch. It would have a removable handle covering that is normally a grip but can be removed, placed on the head, and used as a light disperser to use the flashlight as a suspended or tail-standing candle. It would have primary brightness levels that were instantly accessible via a Surefire Tactical Tailcap-style UI -- .2 lumens, 50 lumens, 200 lumens -- with other brightness levels --5 lumens, 25 lumens, and 100 lumens-- accessible via a Zebralight SC51-style UI (haven't tried the SC51 yet, but I like the sound of it now, and I like the it's quicker to get the high beam on the SC51, so I'd keep that feature on this light). There would be a tailcap button and a regular by-the-head handle button. I would want one of these in AA and CR123 types, as AA is more practical but CR123 is better for the instances of extreme conditions.

2. I like really small ones like the Photon Light, but I want one with more durability. If some company came out with an aluminum Photon Light (same size and specs as the PL2) it would be perfect. I'm hoping here that the aluminum construction would help keep the controls more durable. My PL2 still works after years of pocket abuse but sometimes I have to squeeze it a few times to make it turn on, which is not the end of the world, but it could be improved.
Interesting post, I don't hear a lot of lights that incorporate floating probably because it requires added volume to the light, but it is a great idea. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about customer service, I'm gonna go with HDS/Surefire type (at least 4sevens) customer service from now on.

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
1: I'm perfectly happy with my recently put together Malkoff MD3 Hi-Low XM-L with either 3X16340 AW's or 2X18500AW's. With 3 cells the low is about 60 lumens and the purity and form of the beam on both high and low is simply breathtaking. I think I'll enjoy this Flashlight for some time; I'm probably not a reformed 'flashaholic but with the Malkoff in hand, what else is there? Perhaps something from HDS, maybe a high CRI. Now, if Z/L. comes up with a Hi CRI. version of their SC60W., I'll be first in line!

srfreddy

Enlightened
1. Small, CR2 for keychain
2. Infinitly variable from .003 to 100 lumens, above 80% circuit efficiency
3. Frosted medium optics, and neutral High CRI beam.
4. Trit ring around the emmiter so permenant low low beam.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about customer service, I'm gonna go with HDS/Surefire type (at least 4sevens) customer service from now on.

I'm assuming the company that makes my theoretical light is reliable, as I wouldn't buy a light from a company that wasn't. Service is not a feature, it's a prerequisite.

nbp

Flashaholic
1. Small, CR2 for keychain
2. Infinitly variable from .003 to 100 lumens, above 80% circuit efficiency
3. Frosted medium optics, and neutral High CRI beam.
4. Trit ring around the emmiter so permenant low low beam.

Get a Titan or T1A and have it modded with a SSC P4 hi cri by DaFab and you'll be pretty darn close to that light!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming the company that makes my theoretical light is reliable, as I wouldn't buy a light from a company that wasn't. Service is not a feature, it's a prerequisite.
This is true... but quality LED lights should last a lifetime, and I sure as hell want to make sure this is the case from now on for a majority of my purchases. I had a list of options in my original post so CPFers would prioritize their preferences, compromise, and realize what is important to them in a light. The format doesn't matter, but the posts have been good and realistic so far. I own a lot of Fenix lights that meet your post that I quoted (i.e. they are reliable), but the warranty/service is not close to HDS/Surefire. I want to be able to call/email and get help that day or get some parts so my light is fully functional again.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build:
- smooth stainless steel bezel.
- clip: either no clip or removable reversible clip
- durability: should be able to survive a 6' drop onto concrete with nothing breaking except for dings on the finish.
- floating ability: none
- fit and finish: black or natural HAIII with quality comparable to the Sunwayman V10a. Or for a classier look and better heatsinking replace aluminum with polished copper.
- lens type: glass aspheric with antireflective coatings (I love zoomies)
- threads: square cut
- waterproofing: dunkable (1 o-ring at all seals with maybe 2 at the telescoping zooming part.
- the light should also be capable of being disassembled by the user to enable upgrading and modding.
- heatsinking should be sufficient to handle higher power LEDs

Customer Service:
- preferably a fast ship time from an American distributer. Sorta like Shining Beam

Output:
- beam profile: since I prefer zoomies, I'd want one with quite a wide flood mode and a relatively narrow spot mode. Much more important to have a bright flood mode. Spot is used less often for occasional viewing things in the distance. I prefer a very wide flood however.
- Neutral white or high CRI tint
- ideally around 500 lumens on flood mode, with 20k lux on spot mode.

Power options:
- I tend to mostly use my lights for EDC pocket use. 16340 or 14500s are preferred. Should also be capable of running on non-lion batteries in an emergency. Run-time on max should be at least 20 minutes. Should run for multiple hours on low modes.

Size:
- relatively small. Max 90mm long by 22mm wide.
- I prefer a plain cylinder shape without anti-roll or exaggerated features, and with the head the same width as the body.
- should be able to tailstand.
- should have aggressive knurling over most of the body like the Shining Beam S-mini or Jetbeam PA01.

User Interface:
- brightness selector ring with tailcap forward clicky power switch like the Sunwayman V10a. Controls should be easy to activate one-handed. however, they should also be stiff enough that tailcap lockout is not necessary to avoid accidental activation during pocket carry.
- needs moonlight mode, plus a variety of medium modes for longer runtime and a max mode. If not using a brightness selector ring, shortcuts to moonlight and max required. Interface similar to Zebralight SC51 would be ideal. Barring that, a ramping interface similar to the Nitecore D11.2 or Liteflux LF2XT compact user interface would work.
- flashing and strobe modes aren't required. However, it would be ok to have them so long as they are hidden.
- as an aspheric the light should be zoomable. Control for the zoom can be either a ring or a manual slide forward and back.

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I own a lot of Fenix lights that meet your post that I quoted (i.e. they are reliable), but the warranty/service is not close to HDS/Surefire. I want to be able to call/email and get help that day or get some parts so my light is fully functional again.

Which ones?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) single cell, small form factor.
2) the ability to use rechargeable or primary cells.
3) cr123 format, vilrage and mAh in a small form factor.
4) robust, can handle abuse constantly.
5) ipx 8 standard, for water proof.
6) reliable.

Currently, i'm edcing the McGizmo Haiku XP-G. Previously it was the McGizmo PD-S. They dont have huge lumens like other offerings, but they do have are useful lumens. This IMHO.

Latest posts