Fenix E05 - beam round or oval?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
my Fenix E05 xp-e r2 version gives off a slightly oval shaped beam. does anyone else have this problem? do i have a defective unit?

appreciate any feedback.

Robo.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a flood diffuser optic. I don't think it is supposed to be perfectly round like a reflector. Both of mine are not and are R2's.

hotlight

Enlightened
didn't notice before, just went and checked.
yeah, mine is a little oval-ish on the good ole white wall.. no big deal for real use IMO.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
thanks for the feedback guys.

i use mine as a backup and it only gets sporadic use so the oval beam didn't bother me before. but last night, for some reason, it started getting on my nerves a little bit. i thought i'd see if it was worth trying to get it fixed or replaced. but if others are the same, i might as well live with it. no big deal either way.

papa_mcb

Newly Enlightened
I just checked mine and it is pretty much a circle I tested from a only a foot distance though and at a few inches it is a tight circle.

ragweed

Enlightened
My E05 is a round circle as well. A slightly oval beam should not be too bad IMO.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is perfectly round. Perhaps you optic is distorted. Lenses that are set by threading often experience ineven tightening forces. Perhaps this has distorted the shape of your lens enough to make it uneven.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I supposedly bought an R4 and a R2, but after checking on the Fenix website and entering the serial numbers it said I have two R4s. Anyways, both of them look perfectly round to me, one is slightly cooler then the other.

Last edited:

hotlight

Enlightened
sounds like there's a beam shape lottery with the E05.

IMO, everyone wins tho.... the beam is great. Mine is barely oval. It's oval-ish out to about 4-6inches away from a wall, after that distance I can't tell. Not sure how bad others ovals are, but, in my case it's not a big deal(and normally I care about stuff like that)

srfreddy

Enlightened
Its kinda hard to tell from the diffusion, but its kinda ovalish, not distracting in real use anyway.