How many lumens for a camping light?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Its my first camping trip as a flashaholic. I'm trying to decide whether to take my Malkoff M61WLL for the long runtime or my Malkoff M60 for throw and having a touch choice making up my mind. What kind of lumens is everyone else running for their camping light?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me around camp a floody headlamp between 10-20 lumens does the trick. Anything above 100 lumens is just showing off.

kelmo

Devon

Newly Enlightened
For my main light I use a Coleman North Star gas lantern. This I run off my gas bottle that supplies my 3 burner stove top. It throws out enough light to light up my whole campsite, probably close to 3000 lumens.

For inside the tent I have a couple of rechargeable LED lights I bought from Aldi for about AU$16 each that run forever and supply me with enough light, with 3 power settings low about 100 lumens and high about 160 lumens. I only ever use the low setting and they have about a 100 deg flood. I do have a couple of handheld 12v flouro's that I can plug into the car on long leads, but I no longer use them because the LED's are so convenient.

P1040729.jpg

and the rear of it. Has a handy magnet that I can use to just stick it on any metal surface such as tent poles and it works well.

P1040730.jpg

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its my first camping trip as a flashaholic. I'm trying to decide whether to take my Malkoff M61WLL for the long runtime or my Malkoff M60 for throw and having a touch choice making up my mind. What kind of lumens is everyone else running for their camping light?
Why not take both?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholics take 'em all!:devil:

I was going to offer similar advice. Yes, a nice, low floody light is great for around the campsite - but having the chance to play with all of your lights for the whole night is priceless :D

For me, I only ever have not enough lumens...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my nephew to Pyramid Lake Nevada to camp one weekend. I had an L1 and M6 as handhelds. For those of you not familiar with the area, it is basically a rock garden with a really big alkaline lake. It is out in the middle of no where in the high desert and you get some really high quality darkness if the moon isn't out. The M6 was impressive but just way to bright. The little L1 with it's 65 lumens was perfect. It is really surprising how 65 lumens can punch holes in the night when it's really dark.

I always take something really bright like M3LT or M6. After about 5 minutes of play time the 1st night it gets put away or the kids (they only get one set of batteries) take it and dominate the flashlight tag games with the other campers.

I always have a Minimus for myself and Tikka 2 for the wife. When my daughters get a little older I shall get them Tikkina's.

You have to take at least one really annoyingly bright light.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
It is notable that not too long ago, having a 4-D Cell Maglite putting out about 70 lumens was an eye-opener.

I just had a great couple of weeks in the woods with my M61HCRI, it was often more power than I needed. In the few occasions where it wasn't enough, I would have needed something that was specifically built for throw, not necessarily something brighter. I would say that you would be very well served by bringing both the M61WLL and the M60.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I forgot to mention I will be bringing me Fenix TK41 also. This is my show off/ light up the island light/scare the bears light. The malkoff is for the serious stuff.

jayy42

Newly Enlightened
I try to use my headlamp as little as possible when I'm in the wilderness because I find it to be very disruptive in almost complete darkness. Also, for me, size and weight are far more important than lumens.

A Petzl Tactica works great for camp chores and I can use the red filter to preserve night vision.

I carry a fresh set of batteries but no spares to save weight - I carry a Foton as a backup though in my survival kit.

That being said, I have considered carrying a little thrower for checking out bumps in the night and just for fun...

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
For camping I'd take everything I own - but that's only 4 flashlights here...

Lumen wise this would give me options of around 3, 25, 40, 90, 190, and 235.

The middle of that range would probably be used the most, bottom range next most, and top output the least.

That 235 lumen figure comes from my 6P/M60. I probably wouldn't need it at all, but that doesn't mean I'd be leaving it at home!

Ian2381

Enlightened
For me 80 Lumens is enough for your needs, Just need a Headlamp, A flashlight for throw and a Lantern/Flashlight with diffuser if you are in a group. As a flashaholic, you need to bring at least one really bright light...

srfreddy

Enlightened
Just probably a headlamp, maybe 100 lumens, floody, probably a Zebralight, an XML 18650 light to burn some woods, I guess the SC600w would be my top choice, and some sort of diffuser for the flashlight to act like a lantern.

Richub

Enlightened
My advice:
One light with low lumens and a long runtime, and a second powerful one.

I'd take my Fenix TK15 & white diffuser tip with me for everyday purposes, and my Fenix TK35 in case I need a LOT of light.

Don't underestimate low modes inside a tent. Even 12 lumen can be pretty blinding if somebody accidentally looks directly into the light.
That's where a diffuser tip comes in handy.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no such thing as too many lumens.

:thumbsup:

Especially when camping in Australia. Koalas might look soft and cuddly and eat leaves during the day, but at night they hunt. The best protection is 5000 lumens or more, to make them think it's daytime again while you get out the boomerang...

Devon

Newly Enlightened
Those drop-bears can be killers for sure. I keep a croc close by just incase they do come down from the trees.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
A headlamp is always out of the question when there's girls around.:thumbsup:

Elzetta M60 (high/low cap) with a Malkoff M61LWW and Fenix TK41 it is!