Well priced Cree XM-L T6 torch

Martin van der Poel

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at buying a more powerful torch than the small AA powered one I currently have, I found this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/1400LM-Zoom-CREE...item1e63a26149.
The Torch comes complete with batteries and charger, it uses a Cree XM-L T6 emitter and two 18650 li-iron batteries, has anyone any experience with this unit.

Questions I have are:
1) does the torch cut out when the batteries are nearly flat, as Li-iron don't like to be discharged fully.
2) I don't believe the 1400 lumen's claim, but the emitter should be able to do something like 800 with the batteries used.
3) what is the lowest power setting, is it low enough to get some light with a very long operating time or is it just a medium setting that still uses a lot of power (flat batteries before you know it.
4) When left on high, whatever high is, how long before it reduces the light output and by how much does it go down.

I know that you can buy a name brand and you know what you get, but in a lot of cases you get a hefty price tag for what can be had for much less.

Regards,
Martin

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Well priced Cree XM-L T6 torch on Ebay

This should be posted in the LED flashlights sub-forum.

:welcome:
1) does the torch cut out when the batteries are nearly flat, as Li-iron don't like to be discharged fully.
No. Both the torch and batteries are not protected.

2) I don't believe the 1400 lumen's claim, but the emitter should be able to do something like 800 with the batteries used.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-watt-350-mA&p=3591802&viewfull=1#post3591802
See the recovered posts by Vinz and curtR.

4) When left on high, whatever high is, how long before it reduces the light output and by how much does it go down.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308569-No-real-benefits-to-overdriving-XML

3) what is the lowest power setting, is it low enough to get some light with a very long operating time or is it just a medium setting that still uses a lot of power (flat batteries before you know it).
The power outputs are not stated in the ebay literature. Many of the 5 modes are full power, half power, quarter power, strobe,SOS. Expect 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours.

I know that you can buy a name brand and you know what you get, but in a lot of cases you get a hefty price tag for what can be had for much less.
Not an XML with a zoom. LedLenser will have one out shortly though.

-

The XML is a very low Vf LED. Your torch does not have proper regulation and can overdrive the LED to 4 and 5 amps or above the safety limits of the battery. So run mostly in medium and go to high IN SHORT BURSTS only when necessary.

Safety instructions for use of lithium ion batteries:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened

IF you are going to buy a "budget light" (where this post will soon be moved to), that one is way too expensive. You can get a better light, better batteries, and still save a lot of money. Go to the website for solarforce-sales and browse around there. Don't get excited about the ebay's claim to 1400 lumens, it is a huge exaggeration.

uknewbie

Banned

Some good answers above, I would just add don't be fooled by their crazy over-exposed pictures either! Whilst there are some difficulties in photographing light to show it's brightness, they have clearly made it appear brighter than it will to the eye IMO.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened

2x18650 budget light with a zoomy and an XM-L? Unless you are really experienced, I woud run away, very far, very fast. 2x18650 budget lights are not a good choice if this is your first go with 18650. Its of the utmost importance that the cells are matched and are equally maintained. Combined with generally poor regulation in most budget lights and the possibility of very high draw of an XM-L: Danger Will Robinson! I've also yet to hear of an XM-l with a zoom that works really well. So far XM-L's and zoom lights have not been a good combination. Trooplewis has some good advice above. There are better choices for less in the low budget XM-L category.

Just to add: Besides solarforce, I suggest you contact Miles at Xtar about his XM-L options and have him quote you something including his 18700 Sanyo based cells via this thread over on the marketplace, see posts 23 and 31:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-shipping-XTAR-A01-is-on-massive-promotin-now!!!!

Also consider the Xeno E03 XM-L. That runs on AA or 14500 but is exceptionally floody and does not throw very far. Information here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...03!!!-500LM-AA-14500-Pocket-Rocket!-(CW-NW-WW!)
I review this light here.

If you don't want to spend much and want to get into li-ion powered XM-L lights, these are some decent choices.

Last edited:

Martin van der Poel

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thank you very much for the multiple fast replies.
This is not my first LED torch, I probably have about 7 of them, mostly small inexpensive units, the most expensive is a $40.00 3 D cell "Cree XLamp" that I bought in a camping shop two years back. Recently I bought a $12.00 SIPIK SK68 3W AA from an Ebay store, this unit outperforms all the other torches by a huge margin.

I will read through the above answers and suggestions and see what the best option is.

Regards,
Martin

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Martin and welcome to CPF,
You've gotten some excellent advice in the above posts. Seriously, lights like that should be avoided.

I'm impressed that you took the time to join our forum and ask some questions before your purchase. What I've noticed over the years of watching this forum is that many folks, after buying 5 or 6 inexpensive lights, often come to realize that if they had simply spent some time researching first and bought one well built, but slightly more expensive torch to begin with, that they would have actually saved money AND ended up with a great light as well.

For instance..... a new XM-L torch was just released by Zebralight, the SC600. This is a company with a good track record, and while this new light has only been out for a few days, it's already starting to look like it might be a big step forward in small, bright, affordable lighting.

Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the ebay offering, but it offers SO MUCH MORE flexibility in terms of what you can do with it that it's utterly amazing:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM-L-750Lm-Flashlight-18650_p_55.html

I'm not recommending that light, just showing you that there are some other better altnernatives.

You're on the right track. Don't be in a hurry. Spend some time reading here on CPF and learn what's going on....... especially with rechargeable batteries, which are great, but some of them can be dangerous if not handled and used safely.

Here is a great resource for learning all about rechargeable batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

If you find that you still want to explore the use of lithium-ion rechargeable cells, keep your eye out for batteries that offer protection circuits and lights that offer protection circuits as well..... and until you are more familiar with the technology, I would highly recommend that you consider only lights that use ONE of these types of cells at a time, as that will reduce your risk considerably.

Ok, enough scare tactics :).

Be sure and check out the CPF welcome mat (lots of great info):
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277224-The-Welcome-Mat-a-FAQ

Have fun!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the little Xeno XML that runs on 14500 for a taste of what XML can do.
Yezl in the marketplace is another budget XML worth a try.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
$60 ish dollars you could get a more reliable XML light and charger.
Itc sells the Solarforce l2p XML for $33 shipped, and an ultrafire 139 charger goes for $12-20 dollars. Solarforce will have a littlebetter quality control than the light your looking at.
It won't be focus-able but larger die emitters don't look all that pretty focused

recDNA

Flashaholic
Jetbeam BC40 is a high quality nicely tinted very bright XM-L T6 that runs on 2 X 18650 or 4 X CR123. Only 2 modes but I don't use flashlights this big for reading maps. Why buy a cheap inexpensive light when you can buy a good inexpensive light?