Quark S2 vs R5?

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Quark AA with an AA2 tube for a spare. I will be leaving the light with it's AA2 tube in Haiti next month with a missionary. I will be leaving the single AA tube here at home on the trip. When I get back, I will be buying another Quark. The smartest thing I could do money wise, would be to just buy an AA2 since I already have the AA body, but they come with an S2 head and not the R5. I've heard some folks on here complain about the S2 having a green hue to it, and I'm wondering if anyone has any decent beam shots of the R5 and S2 that I could see for a comparison. I'm not a flashaholic, or a flashlight snob, but I don't want to have to buy a second head for $40 if I don't like the S2. I'd rather waste $20 on another spare body tube. At least I can use that to store/carry extra power cells in :)

Thanks,
Mark

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this helps or not...

Left beam is an AAx2 S2 with Eneloops on Turbo

Right beam is an AA R5 with AW 14500 on Turbo

6013c3b0-8eb5-bc62.jpg

Ad Astra

Newly Enlightened
My recently arrived (2 weeks ago) Quark AAx2 S2 has no green to it, FWIW.

It does closely resemble that beamshot on the left.

Napalm

Enlightened
The tint is determined by the color bin not the efficiency bin. You can have both S2 and R5 (and FWIW any led) in the most ludicrous tints. If the manufacturer "got a good deal" (i.e. cheapened out) on XP-G leds from the 1T or 2S color bins, the lights will definitely have the so much hated green tint.

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
Left, Sunwayman M20A with XP-G R5. Right, Eagletac P20A2 MkII with XP-G S2.

In this particular comparison it is the R5 which has ever so slightly more green. So it's about the color bin not the efficiency bin. What you did was to catch 4sevens with the hand in the cheaper color bins.

Here's a link to a great post:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nd-Vf-Charts-and-Links-for-Popular-White-LEDs

Basically you want LEDs from the bins along the "ANSI white" line (the dotted one). If you stray too much from it, then the light will appear "colored". In the "cool white" area, this means you'll perceive the light as having a green tint (if you strayed in the upper areas) or purple (if you strayed in the lower areas).

nap.

Last edited: