Spark SL6 ODP?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently deciding between the Spark SL6 or the Zebralight SC600

Does the Spark have overdischarge protection? I'm planning to use unprotected cells

picrthis

Enlightened
I do belive so, the manufacture even supplies unprotected Sanyo's for an extra $6, I'm using unprotected Panasonic 2900.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

It is 3.0V for the cutoff

Is this stated in the product literature, or, as Overclocker asks, has this been determined through testing? I wasn't sure if in the reviews the reviewer pulled the cells, or the light cut off.

In HKJ's extremely thorough review here, he uses a variable voltage supply to sweep the voltage up. The circuit is active below 2.5 volts, and is clearly drawing current and producing lumens. Therefore, I am inclined to believe that no, it does not have over discharge protection.

Use unprotected cells with caution.

EDIT: While one should still use unprotected cells with caution, HKJ states this in his review:

"Also note that all the curves stops at about 2.4 volt, this makes the light mostly safe to use with unprotected LiIon cells. The 2900 mAh cells that can be discharged to 2.5 volt will be completely safe to use in this light, even in unprotected version."

I did not realize he drew the voltage sweep down that low, and I mistakenly interpreted the initial emission of light to correlate to the starting voltage in his tests. The light appears to cut at 2.4 volts. So, this looks like the perfect light for those Panasonic 3100 cells everyone drools over. :thumbsup:

This light will fully unlock the capacity in these cells, unlike many lights which assume a 2.8 or 3.0 volt termination.

As a corollary, one should not run down a "regular" li-co cell, as you will most likely over discharge it.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now we have manufacturer confirmation and empirical confirmation à la the electrical wizardy of our very own HKJ. :thumbsup: