Damaging LED drivers by applying power to the output

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's say I have a powerful LED that I want to direct-drive. Let's also say I want to run another circuit through a driver with a switch selecting which circuit is powered up, so I can drive the same LED at reduced output as well.
This implies that, running at full power in direct-drive, the driver's input has no energy, but its output sees whatever voltage the LED is currently running at.

Would this damage the driver?

CKOD

Enlightened
Use a DPDT switch, to move both the cathode and anode of the LED from the driver to direct drive and avoid the issue all together ;)

You'd run into issues that depend on the driver. You run into stuff like the LED- not being connected to batt- because of stuff like current sense resistors, etc. Or on buck-boost drivers, the LED + could be the one connected to ground, and the driver actually generates a negative voltage for the LED-.

The only driver I think you could get away with something similar would be with one of the AMC7135 based boards. Since the LED is just connected to batt+ anyway, a switch to connect the output- of the board to batt- would bypass the regulator and go into direct drive.