• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE9...also the standard for the systems I manage.

I consider third party browsers to be bloatware...doesn't really do anything really different from the built-in Internet Explorer, and tends to cause more problems. Chrome is advertising faster speed...does that fraction of a second really make a difference? Even if it does, compatibility problems makes it not worthwhile.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Safari, because it makes it easier when syncing bookmarks with iPhone. I also love the "top sites" function, I use it as my home page.

carrot

Flashaholic
I use Safari when I'm on Mac and Chrome when I'm on Windows. Since OSX is my primary operating system that would make Safari my primary browser.

I gave up on IE years ago, back when dial-up was still prevalent. I was tired of IE crashing and losing all my open windows, and I really appreciated the tabbed browsing features that the other browsers offered. I was a longtime fan of Mozilla, and then Firefox back when it was called Phoenix, and later Firebird. I've since moved away when Safari caught up (no more rendering bugs) and when Firefox was no longer the nimblest browser. I've dabbled with Opera but never made it my primary browser until my much older Mac couldn't handle the Safari 5 update: because Opera is so nimble and lightweight it is ideal to run on older machines. I really like Chrome's forked process system, as it is so much more responsive and doesn't get bogged down by Javascript-heavy sites like the other browsers, but the user interface is still bogged down by small bugs and lack of attention to detail on the Mac version.

I've given dozens of browsers a shot over the years, some of the more interesting ones being iRider, GhostZilla, Dillo, Flock, Camino, OmniWeb and Amaya, but these days I find Safari suits me best: a snappy rendering engine, excellent keyboard shortcuts, and fastidious attention to details.

For instance, one thing I like about Safari that no other browser does is truncate the names of tabbed pages: If you have a lot of tabs open and they all start with the same text, it'll recognize that and only display the useful part on the tabs.

safari5vfirefox4beta.png

Browsing Netflix: Firefox 4 beta on top, Safari 5 on bottom

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
I used firefox for a very long time, as it led the pack by far in terms of features and functions, but switched to chrome because it was much faster than firefox. I actually used opera for a while way back when they were the first with tabs, and today I always pack my chrome window full of tabs. Chrome's main selling point (for me at least) is that it doesn't slow down much with a lot of tabs and windows open, it's very lightweight especially compared to firefox. I heard that firefox recently changed to look way more like chrome, so maybe ill check that out sometime.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I have IE8, Firefox and Chrome installed in my computer. After using IE8 for a short period of time, I immediately switched to Firefox after seeing how much faster and simpler it was. However, on an impulse, I downloaded Chrome. I was shocked at how amazing it minimalistic interface was, and it was extremely fast too! Now I use Chrome almost exclusively (except when something doesn't load, then I use Firefox, which is only 0.01% of the time).

richpalm

Banned
Firefox 4 at least loads faster than ver. 3, and I've got it loaded down with add-ons in this circa 2003 machine.

I tried Chrome but it wouldn't let me select the install directory and it put stuff all over the place. Dumped it.

Rich

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chase the bleeding edge in all things, so I'm running the Firefox 5 Beta.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
4.01 on my Win7 Ultimate machine was a pig of a thing. 5 runs smooth as double cream.

On my Mac, I haven't noticed much difference. I run a whole bunch of addons, the only one the doesn't work is HTTPS-Everywhere.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Safari... Im having a blast with the new extensions released.

"JumpingURL" rocks! Super slick to send a page Im in the middle of reading (mostly CPF pages :lovecpf ) to my iPhone to finish reading on as Im leaving work.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm using FF 3.6 till my favorite dark theme is upated to be compatible with FF 4. I have been using Netscape/Mozilla browsers since Navigator 4.02. I could care less who is the fastest as long as I am within 20% of the top dog most of the time for me functionality and the right extensions to save me time keeping track of things is worth more to me. One extension I use a lot is URL link.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefox for me. Tried Chrome, it bogged and froze frequently, used more resources than FF. Uninstalled Chrome and haven't missed it. It has been several years since I've used IE.

richpalm

Banned
4.01 on my Win7 Ultimate machine was a pig of a thing. 5 runs smooth as double cream.

On my Mac, I haven't noticed much difference. I run a whole bunch of addons, the only one the doesn't work is HTTPS-Everywhere.

Thanks-gonna give it a go.

Rich

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Firefox 4 user here. I want stability and configurability more than speed, and Firefox's "about:config" feature offers a dizzying number of customizable options.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Given the way MS has tied it into the OS, everyone using Windows has some variety of IE installed, so it's hardly worth mentioning as available. Opera is my primary browser, though I also have Firefox 4 and Chrome installed - just because I'm a geek. Although IE has come a long way from the long era of the rightfully much-loathed IE6, I still simply do not trust it.

Something a lot of people don't seem to consider is that people using a variety of browsers (or email clients) is a good thing; it makes it very difficult for malware authors to create a nasty that will affect most of the population. With 90+% of desktops running Windows, the applications are where there's a chance to "deepen the gene pool" and improve general resistance to malware.