Looking to purchase Olight T25, and have a couple of questions

UllSang

Newly Enlightened
Hi!,
A friend was visiting this past weekend and had a T25-T. I immediately thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. From what I can tell its an good light (read some reviews, including light-review.com) , I have been needing a light similar to that, but had 3 main questions.

1. I have been reading about the 14500 and how the Li-Ion are really good. From what I can tell the T25 doesn't support Li-Ion. Am i really going to regret that?

2. There is the new 2010 model that the main difference is the Switch to the XP-G from the XR-E.(http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...this-one-yet&p=3461986&viewfull=1#post3461986). I could really lean either wide regarding the throw vs spill changes. Anyone have any ideas on which one I should lean towards?

3. I would like to get a rechargeable battery system that can power this unit (pending the answer to #1 about not really needing Li-Ion). Any recommendations that will have the most power and last the longest? I don't mind spending 20-40 if its good.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Deal4

Enlightened
Hey, I'll give it a shot though I know there are tons of others here way more qualified than I.
From what I have found, uaually 2 AA lights use the same engine as their single AA brethren. The single version of the light can take the higher power of a 14500, but if you double it with the 2 14500 batteries you are going to fry your light.
Now I'm not going to say there aren't any lights out there that can do this, but as far as I know all the main players such as EagleTac, Fenix, Olight, 4sevens, etc can't take 2 14500 batteries.
That said you can use a lithium battery say from Enegizer, just not the rechargable.
I only use AA batteries as they are much easier to come by and still fairly bright. What I have found to be the best is Eneloop batteries. They hold their charge for a very long time, and don't drain near as fast as a reg Ni-mh.
If you are set on using 14500 batteries I would suggest you get the Olight T15 instead which is single AA. You will get close to the same amount of light with one less battery, and smaller to boot.
Just to give you some things to think on, try looking up the ST20 by Klarus, the EagleTac P20A2 MKII, the Fenix LD20 or even the Javelin from Dereelight if you are convinced on a 2 AA battery light. The Javelin is my favorite for a far reaching beam.
Concerning if you should get the XR-E or the newer XP-G that depends if you want a further reaching beam with less flood or you want to light up a closer area. The XP-G is a few lumens brighter, but you won't be able to see quite as far away. To the eye I have heard that the difference is not noticable since the beams are different.
Hope that helps. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon!
Regards, Shad

UllSang

Newly Enlightened
I am not attached to the double AA, it was just the light i saw. I will take a look at those lights, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the info about the XR-E vs XP-G, I was wondering how noticeable the difference in throw is in real world use.

Deal4

Enlightened
Doh!:ohgeez: I went and committed one of the worst sins a person can do here on CPF!
I didn't say: :welcome:
Well, hope you can forgive my error!!
Hope you enjoy CPF, but please be careful! It is terribly easy to get caught up and start spending money like crazy!:shakehead
O well it's worth it!
By the way, the T25 is a great light too if that is what you end up getting. Olight is a good company, I just don't have any of their lights yet.
Post your thoughts and impressions once you get the light. Always good to hear other's thoughts!
Shad