Advice needed - Quark, Jet Beam, or Fenix?

destro72

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to LED flashlights, and am looking at purchasing one of these 3 models:

Quark AA Tactical S2
Jet Beam BA10
Fenix LD10

Can anyone make some recommendations on which way to go?

Thanks.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
If you hang around here very long you will wind up with all three.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it you want a single AA light. decide if you want it geared more to flood or throw (most single AA are floody though) and if you want a forward clicky (Quark tactical) or reverse clicky (Fenix). Look at the UI of each light and the run times. Once you figure all that out you have to decide which of those feature are right for you. The LD10 and Quark AA are nice lights. I know nothing about the BA10 - it is brand new and it is Jetbeams "budget line" so corners may be cut. Also, check out the Zebralight SC51. You may want to look into neutral tint options too. Many here no longer like the bluish tinted light of cool tinted emitter and instead opt for neutral.

flame2000

Enlightened
JetBeam BA10.....forward clicky, tail-stand and the most affordable among the three.
Down side......only 2 mode.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I'm relatively new to LED flashlights, and am looking at purchasing one of these 3 models:

Quark AA Tactical S2
Jet Beam BA10
Fenix LD10

Thanks.

:welcome:

The decision is mostly personal preference on what you think would work best for your needs.

All these lights, even the Quark, have similar lumens -- within the 130-180 range. If you're looking to stay with AA lights there are SO many choices!!
A current recommendation of mine would be a Sunwayman V10A. Or I suggest you check out the ThruNight series. You'll get more lumens with those. You won't notice any difference in brightness with any of those you listed, so again, it'll be the style, UI, and size of the light that will determine your decision.

Read as many review as you can...not to confuse you, but just to get an overall picture of what choices you have.

Good luck!! :naughty:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are pros and cons to each of those lights, the Jetbeam is the best bang for your buck, the Fenix is probably the sturdiest of the lot, the Quark has the widest range in brightness.
I'd puck the Quark because I like moonlight mode, and floody lights

Napalm

Enlightened
Will the light be frequently used (turned on/off) or just carried around most of the time without much actual use?

If frequent use, then you may look at wear issues. Check pictures of the head contacts - are they thick metal pills/rings or just PCB thin layers? This is especially important with "twisty" lights, where the tube/battery will rub against those contacts when operating the light, and overtightening the head may strip the PCB ring that comes in contact with the tube.

If EDC light, you may also look at size, smaller is better.

And may I also submit to your attention some less popular lights here, like the Sunwayman C10A?

Nap.

destro72

Newly Enlightened
I take it you want a single AA light. decide if you want it geared more to flood or throw (most single AA are floody though) and if you want a forward clicky (Quark tactical) or reverse clicky (Fenix). Look at the UI of each light and the run times. Once you figure all that out you have to decide which of those feature are right for you. The LD10 and Quark AA are nice lights. I know nothing about the BA10 - it is brand new and it is Jetbeams "budget line" so corners may be cut. Also, check out the Zebralight SC51. You may want to look into neutral tint options too. Many here no longer like the bluish tinted light of cool tinted emitter and instead opt for neutral.

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but could someone explain what "forward clicky, and "reverse clicky" is?

Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
Reverse clicky is just click-on, click-off.
Forward clicky is press in for momentary on, click-in for full on.

Definitely look into the Lumapower Trust-1. After I bought their Incendio V3+, I'm very impressed with the quality and ease of use with their lights. Also 220lumens from a AA light is unheard of lol

Cheapest place to get these if you call and inquire about the CPF 8 percent off discount:
http://illuminationgear.com/241082.html

Napalm

Enlightened
Reverse clicky is just click-on, click-off.
Forward clicky is press in for momentary on, click-in for full on.

Mhh. In the reverse clicky version, the light won't turn on until you release the button (after fully pressing it and hearing the click).
With the FWS clicy, the light will turn on as soon as you start pressing the button.

Nap.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forward clicky = momentary on with a 1/2 press and it goes off when you let go. It will stay on when fully pressed. reverse clicky has no momentary on.

Mode changing is generally different between the two. Forward clicky lights generally use a twist of the head to change modes while a reverse clicky uses a 1/2 press of the clickie switch (when turned on) to change modes. Most forward clickie lights allow selection of the light mode when turned off. Reverse clickie lights start in some default mode and selection is made when on. There are exceptions to this but that is a very general rule of thumb.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quark AA Tactical S2
Jet Beam BA10
Fenix LD10

Thanks.

IMHO, get the Quark AA Tac, but try for the R5 than the S2, unless youre okay with the off-white tint. You forgot to add Zebralight to this AA list. :) Also, you might want to make sure that the AA light you get can take on a 14500 cell, at least you have that option.

Zebralight cant run 14500 (as per the manufacturer)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
JetBeam BA10.....forward clicky, tail-stand and the most affordable among the three.
Down side......only 2 mode.

There's actually a cheaper one (and cooler looking due to the SS), the Trustfire F25:

F25-1.JPG

I run this with a 14500 cell and its running well over 250 lumens. Run real hot though, SS is a bad conductor compared to the usual alum, but it looks cool and everyone wants one! heheh :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Sunwayman V10A over the three listed.

Whatever brightness level you want is infinitely variable with the ring. Simple & works. No fussy UI, no change in mode if you bump the light.

I get the "buy all three" message, but also consider "Sell the other three". That's what I've done, of course with a loss of funds.

CR123

Newly Enlightened
If frequent use, then you may look at wear issues. Check pictures of the head contacts - are they thick metal pills/rings or just PCB thin layers? This is especially important with "twisty" lights, where the tube/battery will rub against those contacts when operating the light, and overtightening the head may strip the PCB ring that comes in contact with the tube.
What's the relevant amount of use? All the Quarks I know of (and have) are just PCBs, and those layers don't look pristine even on new lights, but they have a 10 yr warranty, and I haven't seen complaints of this sort of failure.