ITP A1 EOS issue

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't find much with the search, so here goes. I have an itp a1 eos that I've carried on my keys for a little over a year. Recently the light stopped working due to the spring at the base (negative contact of the battery) becoming detached. I can take the spring out completely and I'm assuming this is whats causing the problem. Is there any way to reattach the spring (maybe JB weld or something?)? Its not a huge deal, I'll probably just suck it up and try my luck with another light or maybe a SS version if I can't fix it. Thanks for any input

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
I dont have mine here at work with me to look at it and see how its setup inside, but I'd go with the SS version, has the newer better emiter in it anyways, although it might be a lil hefty for keychain carry, i just use the clip on it or deep pocket it, its so small!! I have the A3 for keychain carry.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
the spring's not the problem. it's supposed to detach. the problem is likely in the head somewhere. the head is very hard to open.

i'd try a different light. the iTP A lights don't seem to stand up that well to keychain duty.

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it might not be the spring then and for $20 I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or try and mess with it. Looks like I'm just going to have to find something new then...how horrible :devil: I like the idea of a keychain light because I always have my keys with me, thus I always have a light with me. If I go pocket carry I'll probably stick with AA and maybe go with a Quark AA or Jetbeam BA10. Decisions decisions...Thanks again

robostudent5000

Enlightened
IMO, a keychain is a harsh environment for a flashlight. it's being tossed around and banging against metal keys all day. unless you're really gentle with your keys (i'm not), i think you're better off pocket carrying a AA light and putting a fauxton on your keychain.

shortstack

Enlightened
I have the SS version and I had the same problem. I tried messing with the spring to make sure it wasn't a contact issue and cleaned the contacts. The light still didn't work so I sent it in for repair.

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Like shortstack, I've tried cleaning the spring and contact points with rubbing alcohol and letting them dry. No luck and they weren't really dirty or grimy to begin with. Since it's been well over a year I don't think it's still under warranty.

joe1512

Enlightened
I have had mine for about a year on my keychain and so far have had no issues at all. I have the SS one.

If you are considering another one, you might want to think about the Quark MiniX 123. I have one on the way and it is practically identical to the itp A1 in size and function. It has an XM-L emitter though which should translate to about a 60% increase in brightness and efficiency. I am looking forward to comparing them. Unfortunately I ordered 2 weeks ago from a crappy site who claimed to have it In Stock (and is STILL supposedly in stock), but its really on backorder. :-(

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Joe, I was actually just looking at the Quark MiniX the other day. However, I seem to have changed my thought process slightly when it comes to battery configurations. Sure I have many different batteries from rcr123 and 18650's to AA's, but lately I've been trying to keep all my gadgets and gizmos powered by the same battery...AA's. I can get them anywhere and I have the ability to charge the AA's anywhere, anytime with either solar, DC, or AC chargers. I suppose I could rig something up for the rechargeable Li-Ions, but since the devices that use them are limited to flashlights and voltages are higher, I'm having a hard time justifying it. I have a device that uses AA's to power a USB port so I can charge my phone and iPod on the go. I can charge the AA's in the device using a mini usb charger from the car or home and I plan to eventually expand my options with solar. So, with that being said, I guess I could just look at the Quark Mini AA :nana: And that stinks dealing with companies that play games when it comes to having items in stock once you've already shelled out the $$$$. Hope it works out soon

joe1512

Enlightened
I figured since I already have the RCR123 and charger, I mine as well stick with it. I can see your point though, and if I were to do it all over, I'd stick with AA/AAA lights. I was tempted to go with an AAA light using a 10440, but my existing charger would blow up the battery and I didn't wanna invest in another one.

Honestly, since its the same voltage/current from either an AA or AAA, unless runtime is a big issue, I'd consider an AAA keychain over an AA. Most chargers handle both AA/AAA.

shortstack

Enlightened
I have the SS version and I had the same problem. I tried messing with the spring to make sure it wasn't a contact issue and cleaned the contacts. The light still didn't work so I sent it in for repair.
ITP warranties them for 18 or 24 months full coverage (check your warranty card/manual), if it has been longer then that they'll just charge you parts. I sent mine back to the dealer that I had purchased it from, and they were going to send it to ITP to fix.

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
ITP warranties them for 18 or 24 months full coverage (check your warranty card/manual), if it has been longer then that they'll just charge you parts. I sent mine back to the dealer that I had purchased it from, and they were going to send it to ITP to fix.

Same thing with me, mine stopped working for no reason, and my dealer advised me to send it back to them, and they sent it overseas for repair. 3.5 months later I got it back, fully repaired and still going strong (3+ months). So yes, it'll get fixed, but it takes a while to get it back.