Olight M20S vs. 4Sevens G5

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Greetings all. I'm interested in an Weapons Light and am interested in opinions between the Olight M20S and the 4Sevens G5. I was looking for a light with Maximum throw, 340 lumens with a blinding strobe. UI is important but durability is more important as is warranty. Opinions and Experience are welcome.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Olight M20S has bad PWM flickering and the switch on mine was not as reliable as I expected. Jonas

Belial

Newly Enlightened
Personally the m20s is better in my opinion. However with a weapon it's best to have a Surefire for reliability.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the m20s, although I'm a little biased since I own one. As well as I haven't noticed any of the pwm people talk about, with the exception to when I started the light up the very first time. Another reason I would suggest getting the M20's is Olight is offering a xml dropin for the light, incase you need more flood instead of throw. As for throw the G5 has the m20s beat. And within the m20s itself, throw is noticeably better once you install smooth reflector. Spill is still pretty nice but you get a much more defined hotspot. Not sure which would be better for blinding, a more concentrated beam of light or a more consistent beam of light...dunno.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I would go with the m20s, although I'm a little biased since I own one. As well as I haven't noticed any of the pwm people talk about, with the exception to when I started the light up the very first time. Another reason I would suggest getting the M20's is Olight is offering a xml dropin for the light, incase you need more flood instead of throw. As for throw the G5 has the m20s beat. And within the m20s itself, throw is noticeably better once you install smooth reflector. Spill is still pretty nice but you get a much more defined hotspot. Not sure which would be better for blinding, a more concentrated beam of light or a more consistent beam of light...dunno.
Good to know. Thanks.

00birdy

Newly Enlightened
Good info, I've been wondering why Olight doesn't make any XML standard... and as i've been comparing pictures the XML seem very dominant in light output in comparison. Is this just because flood shows up better than throw in pictures? How much more throw advantage does it really have over the XML?

Last edited:

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Good info, I've been wondering why Olight doesn't make any XML standard... and as i've been comparing pictures the XML seem very dominant in light output in comparison. Is this just because flood shows up better than throw in pictures? How much more throw advantage does it really have over the XML?
I saw the TK21 U2 version which was 468 lumens (XML) compared to the 4sevens G5 S2 version yesterday and the G5 blew it away on throw/distance.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may go against the grain but I have been disapointed in my M20S2. I feel it doesn't throw as far as it should, It doesn't seem 340 lumens, the tint is terrible, and I can never find that little white button to switch the modes. Oh, let me not forget the holster, what a joke. Can't wait to sell it or give it away.

I can't comment on the G5 since I have not owned one. My TK21 XML easily out throws my M20S2. So if the G5 S2 out throws the TK21 I guess you have your answer.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about checking out the armytek predator?
seems very rugged, throws better than the 2 lights mentioned, and has a programmable interface.
its next on my buy list.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
I have a RRT-1 converted to R4-5C Neutral tint using an AW18650 and it is my ATF. It is not the highest lumen however I believe it's lux is competitive with best. My bro' has a Maelstrom G5 neutral converted neutral as well and when compared side by side at medium distance the G5 with a smooth reflector does slightly better but at farther the RRT-1 maybe edges it out by a hair due to the focus point. The RRT-1 beam is nicer with LOP reflector. Although the G5 is a nice looking light the edge in aesthetics also goes to the RRT-1, just my biased opinion, though. Sorry no pics or video but we'll try to post some comparison in the future.

Consider also the ArmyTek Predator and Xeno G42. I believe they best both the RRT-1 and G5 in throw however they have shortcomings in other areas IMO.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I own both lights, and I have to agree, that the PWM flicker on the M20S is BAD. I estimate around 100 Hz. Try waving your right hand in front of the M20S, and it'll seem like you have five right hands. However, since you're looking for a weapons light, I'm assuming that you'll only use it on the highest setting, which makes the PWM a non-issue. The OP reflector makes for a really nice beam, and it is true, that the SMO reflector makes it look like the light throws better, but that's only because the SMO introduces a really nasty dark ring right next to the main beam, which makes the hotspot SEEM brighter. I tried illuminating a target at 100 meters with both reflectors, and I was unable to tell any difference.

The G5 has a nice beam with the SMO reflector, no rings and artifacts, and it throws like crazy. Target illumination at 100 meters compared to the M20S is NOTICEABLY better. However there is nearly no secondary flood, but on a weapons light that's probably not a problem, right?

Go for the G5. You won't regret it.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I own both lights, and I have to agree, that the PWM flicker on the M20S is BAD. I estimate around 100 Hz. Try waving your right hand in front of the M20S, and it'll seem like you have five right hands. However, since you're looking for a weapons light, I'm assuming that you'll only use it on the highest setting, which makes the PWM a non-issue. The OP reflector makes for a really nice beam, and it is true, that the SMO reflector makes it look like the light throws better, but that's only because the SMO introduces a really nasty dark ring right next to the main beam, which makes the hotspot SEEM brighter. I tried illuminating a target at 100 meters with both reflectors, and I was unable to tell any difference.

The G5 has a nice beam with the SMO reflector, no rings and artifacts, and it throws like crazy. Target illumination at 100 meters compared to the M20S is NOTICEABLY better. However there is nearly no secondary flood, but on a weapons light that's probably not a problem, right?

How hot does the G5 get when it is on Maximum output?

EnduringEagle

Enlightened

How hot does the G5 get when it is on Maximum output?

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Just got the G5 in and it is TERRIFIC!! What a little light canon this thing is. Took it to the range and blasted through a pile of rounds on Rifle and shotgun and this light is great. Very sturdy and lights up up targets at 100 yards like it is day light. LOVE THIS THING!!