Advice sought regarding Thrunite purchase

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Hello and thanks for reading. I have lurked around this forum for a little while picking up nuggets of wisdom etc from the more experienced forum members. I have many flashlights and in some cases a few of each model (Preon revo's etc) but i have always stuck with 'standard' LED lights from Fenix, 4sevens et al. For my next purchase i wanted a flash light that i could use as a search light and i am torn between gettting the Thrunite Catapult SST-50 or maybe a Malkoff creation of some sorts? I am more drawn to the Catapult for its factory design and the ergonomics are what i desire in a light. Any advice is welcome but please go easy if i have been looking at the wrong tools for the job.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I have a v2 Catapult with the SST-50 LED, and honestly, it is fantastic. Aside from some HIDs, it is my most powerful light, and it was a great value when I got it. It way more rugged than a M@glite, and I love the 18650 variety out there, so you can really set it up with some 2600, 2800 or 3000 milliamp batteries and have it last a while.

I carry it with me whenever I am backpacking, even though I have smaller lights with good output. I have taken the head/reflector/bezel off to expose the LED, and used it for area lighting for a camp site, though obviously, this requires some caution. The throw is fantastic, check out some of the threads for it here.

I bought it from Lighthound, and I have had it almost 6 months with no issues at all. I think the price has dropped, and there is a V3 coming out that uses the XM-L LED, and it might be worth waiting for that, as testing here has show it to have a bit better performance.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?247177-ThruNite-V3

This holster carries it very securely.

http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/lite-holster-stretch

While there are some amazing lights here with a variety of uses made by some outstanding fabricators the sturdy construction and light from this beast would be hard to match at this price point.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Phil40000 - and Wildlands too! :)

I'll move the thread to LED Flashlights for you.

yowzer

Enlightened
I don't know if any dealers have the V2 left in stock, but the V3 is a nice, heavy-duty (And heavy!) bright throwy monster of a light. Get the diffuser accessory as well for maximum versatility. Easy to switch between flood and throw without having to unscrew anything.

The more compact (Thanks to side-by-side battery arrangement), lighter and cheaper Fenix TK35 is also worth looking into. It's not built as solidly, but is still a very nice light with good range and very bright output.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
As far as I can tell, The Thrunite Catapult V2/3 version is the brightest furthest throwing LED flashlight out on the market right now that is not an aspheric, and not ginormous like the Olight SR90 and 91. I have been searching for weeks for one that throws further and brighter but have been unsuccessful. Good luck with your purchase.

Dan

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Fenix TK41 if you don't mind having a pocket full of 8 AA's as backup.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the imput, i agree that looking at the stats/tests the Catapult seems to be the strongest contender in its class. The model i have been looking at is a Catapult SST-50 version 2. The max lumens quoted is 1000 but am i right in thinking that will equate to circa 800 'real' lumens? Also there are lots of different 18650 Batteries on the market. Can anyone reccomend a decent 18650? I don't want the cheapest as it is like putting Citroen 2CV tyres on a Ferrari.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The model i have been looking at is a Catapult SST-50 version 2. The max lumens quoted is 1000 but am i right in thinking that will equate to circa 800 'real' lumens?
The rating system for lumens has changed over time - from theoretical "emitter lumens", to actually measured out-the-front max lumens, to ANSI FL-1 standard measured lumens (i.e. at 3 mins into the run).

The V2 SST-50, V2 XM-L and V3 XM-L have all received individual reviews (click the links). The V3 review will allow you to compare output and runtimes to the earlier models, all measured the same way. Basically, the XM-L versions have higher max output, greater throw, and longer runtimes than the SST-50 version. V2 vs V3 differs by the interface.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed reply self built. Some of the terms/details used on the reviews somewhat confuse me if i am honest. Your knowledge on the subject is frighteningly good. Which one of the Catapult models will have the longest range? Which one is the most powerful? or is it more complex than that?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the detailed reply self built. Some of the terms/details used on the reviews somewhat confuse me if i am honest. Your knowledge on the subject is frighteningly good. Which one of the Catapult models will have the longest range? Which one is the most powerful? or is it more complex than that?
The XM-L versions (V2 or V3) have a longer range and are more powerful than the SST-50 version (although the difference likely isn't so great as to make one need to upgrade).

The main difference beween the V2 and V3 XM-L is in how many levels you have (the V3 has an extra constant output, and a strobe mode).

I know there's a lot jargon here (and in my reviews), but a lot of it is covered in the Welcome Mat, and a few of the sticky threads.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell, The Thrunite Catapult V2/3 version is the brightest furthest throwing LED flashlight out on the market right now that is not an aspheric, and not ginormous like the Olight SR90 and 91. I have been searching for weeks for one that throws further and brighter but have been unsuccessful. Good luck with your purchase.

Dan

If you want to stick with a larger manufacturer then the Catapult V3 XML and EagleTac M3C4 XML are pretty much tied for the longest throwing and most powerfull xml light. That said, my de-domed Varapower 2000 will out throw both and it is quite a bit brighter than both.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
I did some research on the Varapower light and it is definitely the king of its class. Amazingly bright. I am very impressed. I cannot believe it has an SST-90 and no more of a heat sink than the stock maglite head. But I noticed it seems unobtainable like a lot of small manufacturers. A while ago I was looking for the Neofab Legion II. It was an awesome light, but you couldn't find one. Tre, thank you for the tip, I will have to keep an eye out for this light. I have definitely never heard of it but you have sparked my interest. On a separate note, I have never heard of this de-doming lights. I will have to read more into this. It sounds very interesting. A friend of mine had a Dorcey 200 or something like that. It was the dorcey that you could get at Sears that had a charge port that was covered by a threaded sleeve that you spun to expose the charging recepticle. His dome fell off his light and in my ignorance told him it was broken and he should return it for a new one. Little did I know it very well may have improved his throw haha. Funny thing.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Again many thanks for your valued and informative comments. Just to confuse things even more I have been looking at the highly anticipated Fenix TK60 as well as the Catapult. Does anyone know if the new Fenix has been designed as a search light or is it a general purpose light with some flood as well. Any musings would be most welcome to help me decide which light will be the best thrower.