Nitecore EX11.2.2?

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
I'm posting this in hopes of helping a potential buyer of this light. Pictures would make it so much easier, but I no longer have the older ex11.2.

Brief history: Bought a new ex11.2 this past Saturday. Played with it for 2 days great stuff. Sunday I went to grab it for a night walk and proceeded to turn it on as normal, but it went into strobe mode for about 3 seconds then cut off. hmm. All the sudden the light started getting hot, not warm, but nothing was on or so I thought. I immediately opened it and took the Surefire CR123 out and bam! I was hit with the glorious smell of fried electronics. Honestly I thought it was the battery being an LED novice, but it was not as the battery was fine and worked in other lights.

I brought it up to goinggear this morning to explain what happened. After explaining my issue they brought another one out for me for an even swap. I had to take the clip off (optional accessory) the fried one and put it on the new one.

Upon closer inspection comparing it with my fried ex11.2 we noticed some interesting disparities. My broken ex11.2 had a "v.2" clearly marked on the opposite side of the normal markings in a different font and size. Kind of like someone just printed it after-the-fact.

On the newer ex11.2 v.2 the markings read "Smart PD EX11 v.2 R5" where the broken one read "Smart PD EX11 R5" with the above mentioned "v.2" marked on the opposite side. This newer one also has a tritium slot on the piston switch the older one does not. The piston switch is also much shorter in distance traveled vs the older ex11.2. The newer one also has a much purer white tint vs the blue/purple in the older one.

So what we are thinking is that Nitecore possibly has 2 version 2's floating around. Version 2 of version 2 (one with the correct markings and tritium slot) and version 1 of version 2 (with the after-the-fact applied "v.2" marking). Confusing I know. Maybe this will help someone deciding to get one of these.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Happy to report my newer version of this light is well. This is my favorite edc light so far that I have owned. An excellent interface, tiny size, big power on rcr, good power on cr, tailstands and a nice additional clip.

The beam on this light is perfection I wish all my lights had a beam like this! I've had a lot of lights in the past month and this beam outshines them all and by a large margin.

anomalyconcept

Newly Enlightened
From what I've gathered from other threads around cpf, the difference between the EX11 and the EX11.2 is the driver module which fixes the parasitic drain, and there is only one version of the 11.2. This is what I think happened: Your original EX11.2, marked "Smart PD EX11 R5" with "v.2" printed on the other side (like you mentioned- looks printed after-the-fact) was from an earlier production run of the 11.2, right after they released the fix. Nitecore at the time still had a lot of EX11 parts in their stock and so used them; the v.2 was printed after the fact to distinguish the updated modules from the original EX11. When the supply of EX11 parts ran out, the newer ones with "Smart PD EX11 v.2 R5" were used. Of course, this doesn't fully explain the differences which you noticed, namely the piston travel or to a certain extent, the LED tint (manufacturing variance?). I do know that the tritium slot is an optional part on both the D11.2 and EX11.2 as some sellers let you choose. (Posting to old/inactive thread for completeness. I got to this thread from the 'related threads' at the bottom of the page.)

manhairetis

Newly Enlightened
This is the reply I just received from Nitecore on this matter, I hope it helps.

Thank you for supporting on our products. Please don't worry about this issue. Because we have update for D11.2 and EX11.2 already. If the people still complaint in the forum, because they bought the old version. The new version is without this problem. Therefore, please don't worry too much about it. Because there are some customers return D11.2 and EX11.2 old version back to us to repair. We have updated for them, they enjoy to use the flashlights again.
I hope I can put your heart at easy now. Have good day. Welcome to enquiry if you need more information.
Best Regards,
Info Center

AaronG

Enlightened
I've looked at the D11.2 and EX11.2 a couple times but I haven't purchased either yet because of all the Q C problems and newer UI with blinky modes.

If they went back to the D10/EX10 and managed to be defect free for awhile I would probably buy one of each.