ITP A1 EOS XM-L U2 Mod

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316152-How-to-open-a-ITP-A1-EOS

Continued from here :

I was challenged to mod a ITP A1 to XM-L , initially I resisted as the difficulty factor was above Normal , but then reconsidered as I thought it might be time to rise to a new level ...

To say it was interesting , is a understatement ...

Lets try some pictures

100_3001.jpg

Here is the XM-L U2 on a 10mm board mounted in the pill ..

100_3004.jpg

It lives ...

100_3014.jpg

Emitter is ever so slightly off center :ohgeez:

100_3009.jpg

ITP pictured next to my A20 XM-L T5

100_3015.jpg

Wall Shot ...

PB240004.jpg

Low mode

PB240005.jpg

Medium mode

PB240006.jpg

High mode

The beam is soooo smoooth , so floody , by no means a thrower , but it just pumps light , and from such a small package .

Well , dont be-leave the Lumen output , but the light box says :

Low 80L , Med 400L , High 800L but fades to 730 within 10 seconds ..

This is a very small host for a XM-L mod , but on low and medium it just rocks hard , on high its just insane , but sure does help with the bragging rights . :naughty:
Heat will be a problem on high , and the longer you run it , I would expect continued output sag .

I just hope the owner is happy with his modified ITP .

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bragging rights indeed. It'd almost have to be the smallest light to break 800 lumens...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive :) Did you change the driver?

Yes , changed the driver ..

The original driver died when the light was dropped from height , and the heat it took to remove the pill , would have most likely also killed it ...

I hope to be able to safely remove the driver , for a XP-G R5 mod ...
Next Project [ ITP A1 ]

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nuts. I wish I could mod like you. My A1 is begging for a warm XM-L :)

flashwaver

Newly Enlightened
Hey old4570,
Have you consider doing this mod for $$? I will be the first one to up for it!

Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
What kind of battery are you using?

Any estimate of how long you can hold it in high before it gets too hot?

Looks like a great edc mod!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
For testing I was using a cheap Ebay unprotected RCR123A [ 16340 ] as I was trying to limit current , a IMR may push output/current even higher ... :eek:oo:
Though why would you want to ? I think Medium takes care of business . [ But thats just me ]

I ran high for up to around 30 seconds and the body was warming up [ its rather cold here ATM being winter ] . But I would expect that around the 60 second mark it would be a great hand warmer on high , and around 120 seconds it just might be too much .. Not so worried about the light getting warm , but rather the heat at the emitter , the way the pill is designed , is not that great for removing heat and transmitting it to the body , so it may give a false sense of everything being ok when in fact the emitter may be cooking in its own juices so to speak . [ On a extended run ]

I will have to add a note about this when I ship the light .
I dare say its quite usable on low and medium , but running it on high for any extended periods ? It really wants a copper pill with some mass [ Lathe Work ] to be able to handle High [ hell I could be wrong ]

And , this will be the only one I do [ sorry ] , as It was a challenge to test my abilities , and I really dont think the ITP is a good XM-L host now that I have seen the pill . I guess only time will tell , if this mod is able to survive being moded to XM-L . + There is a fair bit of time involved , just removing the pill is a drama in itself , and Im currently doing a Cert 4 IT course , so finding time is a challenge . This project was a great little distraction to take my mind of study , but I find my School work load increasing - end of semester projects , so time is at a premium .

Gavin if your reading this , I will get to your Solarforce hopefully this week end . [ I hope ] oh! and the RQ .

Last edited:

flashwaver

Newly Enlightened
So you actually take contract from people!! That is cooool!! I am new to this forum and you(the awesome OP). Just wondering, how to apply for your "contracting"? haha

Anyways, super nice mod. I been looking for a insane pocket rocket like that.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
pb270005.jpg

pb270004.jpg

Top picture is the XP-G R5 mod , and the one below that is a Factory stock ITP ..
I was able to save the factory driver for the XP-G R5 mod .

Two very interesting mods :

So anyone thinking of moding there ITP A1 .. ?

Remove the driver before you attempt the mod : Yes this is tricky ...

Removing the pill is tricky - and requires a lot of heat to break it lose . And I mean a lot of heat ... The heat will destroy the emitter in the light , the price you pay .

The pill is light weight , much like a soda can is light weight ...
If you XM-L , you might consider a Copper pill [ lathe work ]