Do You Say Eighteen-six-fifty or One-eight-six-five-oh?

Do you Say/Think Eighteen-six-fifty or One-eight-six-five-oh?

• Eighteen-six-fifty

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • One-eight-six-five-oh

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this might be a fun, simple thread. I always called these popular cylindrical cells "one-eight-six-five-oh" batteries until going to Photon Fest last year, when I heard Scott call them "eighteen-six-fifties."

So, when you refer to these cells, aloud or in your own mind, how do you pronounce them?

:)

LEDAdd1ct

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Hmm, there are two different dimensions being specified (diameter and length), and many of the protected cells are longer than 650mm, so maybe it should be pronounced "Eighteen six hundred and seventy-five" or whatever length the cell actually is ;)

But yes, I call them "Eighteen-six-fifty".

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The usual rule of English is that when a number is used as a designation for something it is read out in words. For instance the C-9000 is the "C-nine-thousand"; the BC-900 is the "BC-nine-hundred"; a 14500 cell is a "fourteen-five-hundred".

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, Mr Happy, that makes total sense. For some reason, when seeing "18650" the notion to apply that convention never occurred to me; it took Scott's explicit verbalization to make me think otherwise. Excellent point, though, and the examples you picked I would certainly refer to as you describe, and I believe I would have applied that convention even before Scott's utterance.

flashflood

Enlightened
I've always said it like 90210, but since the name actually means 18mm x 65mm x shape 0, the logical thing would be to call them 18-65-0 (eighteen sixty-five oh).

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
Just ask for lower case L-sideways infinity-upside down backwards nine-upside down two-capital Oh

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious... I say it eighteen-sixty five- o (as in oh), splitting it into diameter, length and format (round).

Makes more sense to me because the numbers refer to distinct characteristics rather than one big value.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The usual rule of English is that when a number is used as a designation for something it is read out in words. For instance the C-9000 is the "C-nine-thousand"; the BC-900 is the "BC-nine-hundred"; a 14500 cell is a "fourteen-five-hundred".

I've never thought twice about it, but that does seem the natural way. The Liquid Metal Terminator was indeed the "T-one thousand"

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I've heard it pronounced "One-eight-six-fifty" before somewhere. That seems quite normal, although I do say eighteen-six-fifty.

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Good question I always use the eighteen six fifty too but I really dot think it matters as long as you don't say "you know those double 123 things" lmao

Lion251

Newly Enlightened
I've always said it like 90210, but since the name actually means 18mm x 65mm x shape 0, the logical thing would be to call them 18-65-0 (eighteen sixty-five oh).
I have heard before that the last 0 would mean 'cylindrical cell', but are there examples of cells that are not cylindrical, and follow the same numbering convention?
Otherwise, I would find it more logical to interpre the numbers exactly as you would for button cells: the first two digits are the diameter in mm, the rest form the length / height in tenths of a mm.
After all, a CR3025 is also cylindrical, 30 mm diameter, and 2.5 mm thick. So, by analogy, a 18650 should be 18 mm diameter, and 65.0 mm long.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
"eighteen-six-fifty"

It never occurred to me to call them "one-eight-six-five-oh" cells. This would be the same as saying the present year is "two-zero-one-one", as opposed to "two thousand eleven". I just don't think like that. However air traffic controllers and military communications personnel, for example, utilize this convention to reduce the possibility of errors when communicating such figures verbally.

Sometimes these cells are also called "four thirds fat A" Li-Ion cells, which is accurate as well. This seems to be more common when referring to nickle based chemistry cells though.

Dave

dwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Curious... I say it eighteen-sixty five- o (as in oh), splitting it into diameter, length and format (round).

Makes more sense to me because the numbers refer to distinct characteristics rather than one big value.
That makes sense to me my pants are not three thousand eight hundred and thirty two.
38-24-36 would sound odd as a long number.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense to me my pants are not three thousand eight hundred and thirty two.
38-24-36 would sound odd as a long number.

Good point, dwestonh. On the other hand I've never referred to the fine specification of "38-24-36" as "three eight, two four, three six" either, rather as "thirty eight, twenty four, thirty six".:grin2:

Thinking about my last post, I don't know why I think of 2011 as "two thousand eleven". I guess I'm just not used to changing millenniums. I say it both ways, I guess. I've always referred to 1911 as "nineteen eleven", for example. Given some time, maybe by 2015, I'll start thinking of it as "twenty fifteen".:)

Dave