The Money Pinch

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else suffering from tough times? My flashlight hobby has mostly been put on hold and I can only make wish lists for now. The past two years have been especially rough for me moneywise. I've been getting by ok with the jobs I've had so far, but I've been through quite a few rough patches.

Recently I had to get a root canal and crown done, and that's $3K right up the wazoo. Also spent $600 on new tires. Shame really because with that money I could've easily picked up a Polarion Abyss, if not two of them! Maybe even a Night Reaper in the base model.

Anyone else feeling the pinch? Leave economic issues, politics and government conspiracies for the UG. Just trying to gauge how flashaholics are doing in the same predicament.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seem that all the bills come at once. Between bathroom renovations, shoes, boots, clothes and heating bills, there's not a great deal left in the kitty for fun things.

Fortunately for me, there's nothing for sale right now that's really calling me. I'll have time to save while waiting for the 'next big thing'.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know you are a flashaholic when you think "man this root canal/crown/sewer line/blend door actuator that is a $60 part that costs $1000.00 to install coulda bought me x light/s". :p

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I was stuck paying over $4K for dental work two years ago. That hurt, but it beat potentially losing a few teeth. Anyway, yes, I'm pretty much perpetually short on money for extras. The upside is I really know how to stretch a buck when it comes to hobbies. $50 in parts can keep me busy for weeks. I'm also good at "repurposing" stuff I find.

carrot

Flashaholic
It was a really tough winter for me but now that I have a new job and the freelance work is paying I'm doing alright. Not phenomenal, but enough that I can afford a few nice things I'd had on my list for awhile.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead: Yes, you're right on the money. :) I guess it has more to do with timing. When I finally managed to save a couple grand I found out I had to have a root canal. I thought "Man why couldn't this happen one, maybe two years from now??? I could've had the Polarion in my hands right now!!!"

It was a torturous reality check. LOL

I was stuck paying over $4K for dental work two years ago. That hurt, but it beat potentially losing a few teeth. Anyway, yes, I'm pretty much perpetually short on money for extras. The upside is I really know how to stretch a buck when it comes to hobbies. $50 in parts can keep me busy for weeks. I'm also good at "repurposing" stuff I find.

You're right about the teeth, I intend to keep all of 'em. I too stretch my buck on everything, and am surprisingly content with the amount of money I have. I could always use more lol, but I always tell myself it could be worse. Sometimes it does get really tight, though. :(

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
My wife drives 100 miles a day, and her car has a thirsty 5.7L V8. When gas prices go up, the money we have to spend on hobbies (and food, clothes, etc...) goes way down. These past few months have been rough. Oh, and she just had a baby. Those are expensive, too. I've been staring at this $40 headlamp for months now, but I know if I buy it I'll wish I hadn't.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I got fed up, and decided to go back to school in order to get a job that isn't effected by a **** poor economy. Nearly anything related to the medical field falls under that category. Unfortunately, people get sick. People have accidents. People get victimized. Some of them act like obnoxious idiots, and get treated as such; thus requiring medical care of all kinds. Even heathy folks get old and sickly.

A year from today, I'll have been part of the medical community for awhile. Making a truly decent living, instead of an almost decent one.

beerwax

Enlightened
times are tight here. no more titanium for a while methinks. just paid for a zeno eo3 budget light, eagerly awaiting delivery.

my tip for keeping your teeth - get an electric toothbrush.

cheers