Anyone ever mod a Pelican 2360?

CKOD

Enlightened
Ive had a pelican 2360 sitting in my car, in the center console for a year or so with duracell procell bateries in it. After being though one summer and winter without leaking and ruining the flashlight, I guess its proved itself tough (or lucky) enough that I'll spruce it up a bit, put some lithium AA's in it and return it to its place in the center console.

Looking down the end of it, looks like it has an XR-C, with an ugly yucky 7000-8000k tint. I measured the current to it at ~350mA, and they quote it at 94 lumens (IVe seen 100 in other plcaes, so they probably have a Q3 or Q4 emitter and stating emitter lumens and not OTF.

The driver turn on at .7V and runs down to .4v, definitely a boost driver, which means it will go direct-drive though the diode in the boost converter once the input is high enough. The emitter is on a 14mm star, which means it'll be an easy swap to an XM-L on a 14mm MCPCB. I dont particularly like cutter's XM-L MCPCBs, poor thermal performance in other testing ive done, but at 350mA it wont be that much of a problem, plus I get to be picky about the tint with them, so I have a 4000-4200K T4, neutral emitter on order.

The Cree PCT says that a T4 XM-L at 350mA should be good for ~123 lumens. So a ~30% boost in output, and a vast improvment in color temp. Could get ~150 lumens if I went with a U2 bin, but this isnt gonna be a monster either way, so lets go with the nice tint. The XM-L's power draw will be at 1W instead of 1.2W also, so it will stay cooler but at least a little bit.

Seems like it'll be a nice little 2AA light after the emitter swap.

EDIT: the back of the MCPCB has the following engraved on it. "XRCWHT WN-P2 090323" I'd believe WN color bin (6350k-7000k, on red/purple side of blackbody, and if its a P2, then pelican was getting(really) optimistic with 100 lumens, as the PCT says 67 lumens at 350mA for the P2. Double the light and a nice tint would be great!

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone ever mod a Pelican 3260?

Are you referring to a Pelican 2360? Don't find a 3260 on the Pelican website. I don't have a 2360 but I'll guess that an emitter swap is doable, it looks like a nice light from the description.

CKOD

Enlightened
Re: Anyone ever mod a Pelican 3260?

Are you referring to a Pelican 2360? Don't find a 3260 on the Pelican website. I don't have a 2360 but I'll guess that an emitter swap is doable, it looks like a nice light from the description.
Doh, yeah you're right. I have it right here in front of me, no excuse to get the wrong number.

I potted up the driver with a decently thin 2 part epoxy, that was pretty easy. If it works well with a XM-L swap, and people show interest, I may order a few, do a driver pot/emitter swap (maybe even offer tint choice or an option for GITD if there is space around the LED in the reflector opening) and sell the lights, since its simple enough, and doing 5-6 at once would split up the time to do it to something reasonably low. Its fairly stout feeling, and the clicky is nice and firm and... clicky. It looks like the clip can go head up or head down, but I cant be sure, mine doesnt have a clip. It also looks like a sandwhich shoppe badboy could be put into the pill if you filed out the staking and got the old one out, but thats more then I'm looking to do.