Help with Solarforce Monster Thrower

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
A while back, I purchased a Masterpiece Pro-1 from solarforce-sales, and, as per the website, was supposed to be a "Monster Thrower." I have searched high and low on CPF for a solution to my problem, but I haven't come across anything that helps.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the thing to work right. I am using the flashlight with 2 x CR123s in a L2X body. Should I be using a higher voltage than only 6V? The head says max input voltage is 16V, so I don't know if 6V is too low... Maybe I have a faulty pill/emitter? Is there a certain number of clicks I have to do to make it work?

All I know is I bought this light with the anticipation of throwing monsters into the neighbors yard, but I have no monsters coming out of the light. Does anyone know what kind of monsters are supposed to be thrown?

Oh, by the way...

/sarcasm lovecpf

ragweed

Enlightened
I do not think Solarforce is one of the better throwers on the market! I think you have been had IMO. Good Luck in sorting it out.

OCD

Enlightened
I do not think Solarforce is one of the better throwers on the market! I think you have been had IMO. Good Luck in sorting it out.

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but the MPP-1 is one of the best budget throwers out there...just search CPF and read some reviews.

SSV, not sure of how your MPP-1 was packaged, but according to the packaging that came with mine, it reaches its max brightness at roughly 6v and anything up to 16v goes towards runtime. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

It is a single mode light = click on, click off.

I am running mine on 1x 18650 (= 4.15v) and it is nearly as bright as when ran on 2xRCR123's (= approx. 8.3v) and IMO, throws like a beast for the money.

That's my $.02

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce Masterpeice Pro 1 is the best bang for your buck dedicated thrower out there. Even the the highest output emitters (XML, SST-90) cannot compete in the throw arena without a very large head a la O light SR90. The Masterpiece Pro 1 will not run at max output on 4.2 volts, it requires at least 6 volts for max output. That said, if your CR123 cells are not high quality cells (in which case "voltage sag" will cause them to not deliver the full 6 volts to the emitter under load) or if they are not brand new, you will likely not get your full brightness.

You say you are using the L2X body with the head, but you say you are using 2 x CR123. The L2X body is a long body designed for two 650 mm long batteries such as an 18650. I'm not even sure how you're doing that unless you are using a spacer of some kind. But since you have the L2X, why don't you just use 2 x 18650 Li Ion cells? That will give you plenty of voltage to make sure you're running at max output and crazy good run time. You could also use 4 x CR123 since the head accepts up to 16 volts.

In my opinion, the L2x is the best body for the MPP 1 head. Get your batteries situated and I think you'll be impressed with the throw. Granted, you will notice that the overall output will not be as high as any of the new XML lights but every single photon is directed down stream, resulting in really good throw.

Let me know how this turns out.

Edit Also, this is a single mode emitter. You can click it as many times as you want, but you'll just be turning it off and on again. One more thing: OCD submitted his response as I was typing mine, so I apologize for any redundant information.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back, I purchased a Masterpiece Pro-1 from solarforce-sales, and, as per the website, was supposed to be a "Monster Thrower." I have searched high and low on CPF for a solution to my problem, but I haven't come across anything that helps.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the thing to work right. I am using the flashlight with 2 x CR123s in a L2X body. Should I be using a higher voltage than only 6V? The head says max input voltage is 16V, so I don't know if 6V is too low... Maybe I have a faulty pill/emitter? Is there a certain number of clicks I have to do to make it work?

All I know is I bought this light with the anticipation of throwing monsters into the neighbors yard, but I have no monsters coming out of the light. Does anyone know what kind of monsters are supposed to be thrown?

You don't really make it clear what is really wrong with your light. Are you just not getting the brightness and performance you were expecting? The Masterpiece only needs one click, it's not a multi-mode light.

Obvious questions.....Have you tried cleaning the contacts? Have you checked to see if the batteries are in good working order? There's an excellent trouble shooting sticky over in the budget lights forum that would be really worth your while to take a look at. It will give you some basic backround on troubleshooting your light and some things to try even if not everything will apply easily to your Masterpiece. That would be the best thing to do for now.

If, after trying at least some of the suggestions in the sticky you still have no luck just send an email to Solarforce and I'm sure they will do something for you. They always offer friendly, helpful customer service which they seem to take much pride in and they stand behind their products. (Although, to be honest your customer service experience may depend on what "a while back" means regarding how long ago you bought this light.) The few times I've had problems with Solarforce products it's been a pleasure dealing with them and they always take good care of me as a customer and they go out of their way to let me know they appreciate my business.

I own a Masterpiece Pro-1 and it equals or out throws lights costing far more. I've been very pleased with mine, although I do run it on 2 (sometimes 1) 18650s depending on how I decide to set it up. Still, it shouldn't be all that different on 2 CR123s to the point of feeling the need to post this thread.

Best of luck!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your light has too many monsters of different sizes it can go :poof:

Perhaps it is throwing monsters beyond the neighbor's yard so he can't see them or maybe the monsters are too small to see.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
You say you are using the L2X body with the head, but you say you are using 2 x CR123. The L2X body is a long body designed for two 650 mm long batteries such as an 18650. I'm not even sure how you're doing that unless you are using a spacer of some kind. But since you have the L2X, why don't you just use 2 x 18650 Li Ion cells? That will give you plenty of voltage to make sure you're running at max output and crazy good run time. You could also use 4 x CR123 since the head accepts up to 16 volts.

The L2X comes in regular (1x 18650) or extended (2x 18650). Im guessing he has the regular?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
You don't really make it clear what is really wrong with your light. Are you just not getting the brightness and performance you were expecting? The Masterpiece only needs one click, it's not a multi-mode light.

Obvious questions.....Have you tried cleaning the contacts? Have you checked to see if the batteries are in good working order? There's an excellent trouble shooting sticky over in the budget lights forum that would be really worth your while to take a look at. It will give you some basic backround on troubleshooting your light and some things to try even if not everything will apply easily to your Masterpiece. That would be the best thing to do for now.

If, after trying at least some of the suggestions in the sticky you still have no luck just send an email to Solarforce and I'm sure they will do something for you. They always offer friendly, helpful customer service which they seem to take much pride in and they stand behind their products. (Although, to be honest your customer service experience may depend on what "a while back" means regarding how long ago you bought this light.) The few times I've had problems with Solarforce products it's been a pleasure dealing with them and they always take good care of me as a customer and they go out of their way to let me know they appreciate my business.

I own a Masterpiece Pro-1 and it equals or out throws lights costing far more. I've been very pleased with mine, although I do run it on 2 (sometimes 1) 18650s depending on how I decide to set it up. Still, it shouldn't be all that different on 2 CR123s to the point of feeling the need to post this thread.

Best of luck!

Guys, guys - it is a joke. His light is not really broken - it just doesn't "throw monsters".

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounded a lot like someone I used to know who doesn't speak English very well. I almost didn't respond to the post 'cause it sounded so weird but remembering how my friend could butcher a sentence trying to express himself I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Ha!

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
First off, I want to apologize to everyone for not being clear enough that the post was a joke. There is nothing actually wrong with my light. In fact, it is quite impressive, regardless of how much it cost me.

Having said that, a couple of you had a point.

Lies. I wake up next to one every morning :p

Some of you should really reread the post

That's quite funny, Dsoto87... I hope she doesn't read this post, or she really WILL be one. :)

If your light has too many monsters of different sizes it can go :poof:

Perhaps it is throwing monsters beyond the neighbor's yard so he can't see them or maybe the monsters are too small to see.

I hadn't considered the monsters being too small to see. After all, how big of monsters could I expect from an XR-E?

P.S.
Thanks to all of you that were trying to be helpful with my "problem."

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine had issues with the driver, after 30s or so the output drops in half. So I ordered a new 1.3A driver from KD and getting it installed by another cpfer(I'm no good at soldering), can't wait to get it back and see if the issue has been fixed and if the 1.3A driver increases throw!

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good, Fusion. Let us know how it does when you get it back. More monsters is always a good thing.

I would like to mod mine to have an XML @ 2.8A, but I have no idea how to get the XRE out without tearing it or the pill up because of the epoxy... :(

Maybe someone here knows a secret?