Woods glass filter for UV light.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I finally got my wood's glass filters. As people here with 365nm led experience know the led's themselves emit a small amount of whitish light. This tends to obscure some of the fluorescing effect of the led. Well after going to a local stained glass place and having them cut out a glass circle from the 2"x2" piece, I have to say it vastly improves the quality of the UV light output.

From my driver's license to the colored stripes glowing on various denominations of dollar bills, the contrast is greatly improved. For anyone with a 365nm UV light I highly recommend getting a wood's glass filter made.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I will soon order my first 365nm light and will test the visible light output to see how much comes out of it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just got one of the Rosco 2" x 2" filters. Even though the website said it was Woods Glass, and so does the packaging t hat it came in, it's actually a dichroic filter and has a silver mirrored appearance.

I'm wondering if I can cut this type of filter to shape with conventional glass cutting techniques without disturbing the properties of the filter.

Nighcrawler

Newly Enlightened
Cutting Dichroic "Wood's Glass" from Rosco

I just got one of the Rosco 2" x 2" filters. Even though the website said it was Woods Glass, and so does the packaging t hat it came in, it's actually a dichroic filter and has a silver mirrored appearance.

I'm wondering if I can cut this type of filter to shape with conventional glass cutting techniques without disturbing the properties of the filter.

Yes, I purchased one of the 2"x2" filters just last week from B&H and using an ordinary hand cutter, I scored it and broke it easily. You can just barely see your score mark because it is like a front surface mirror on both sides, but it cuts like ordinary glass, not plate or pyrex. I made two clean cuts with NO problem at all, and used my Wizling grinder to prepare a 1" diameter blank to replace the clear lens in my UV LED flashlight. It works wonderfully. I have tried working with the glass from fluorescent BLB bulbs without much luck. I suppose if you broke an incancescent BLB bulb and used your nippers to get a convex piece, then took a grinder to it, you would be in luck.

But for me, it worked out GREAT to cut up the Rosco filter and grind a circular blank!

-- Nightcrawler

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cutting Dichroic "Wood's Glass" from Rosco

ok, well i've been looking for as cheap as possible woods glass and have come to no avail unless i get it from china, and they want a fortune for what i need. it needs to be 4" dia for my spotlight, anyone here know where i can find such a piece?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Cutting Dichroic "Wood's Glass" from Rosco

Yes, I purchased one of the 2"x2" filters just last week from B&H and using an ordinary hand cutter, I scored it and broke it easily. You can just barely see your score mark because it is like a front surface mirror on both sides, but it cuts like ordinary glass, not plate or pyrex. I made two clean cuts with NO problem at all, and used my Wizling grinder to prepare a 1" diameter blank to replace the clear lens in my UV LED flashlight. It works wonderfully. I have tried working with the glass from fluorescent BLB bulbs without much luck. I suppose if you broke an incancescent BLB bulb and used your nippers to get a convex piece, then took a grinder to it, you would be in luck.

But for me, it worked out GREAT to cut up the Rosco filter and grind a circular blank!

-- Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler, thank you for this information. I have a regular glass cutter so I will try this. The dual-sided evaporated coating was scaring me off but if you've had good success with this technique I will try it also.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Solarforce UV dropin, and have the same question -- is cutting down a larger Wood's Glass filter still the only good way to filter out the visible part of the spectrum, for a regular flashlight?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Solarforce UV dropin, and have the same question -- is cutting down a larger Wood's Glass filter still the only good way to filter out the visible part of the spectrum, for a regular flashlight?

EDIT: this looks partway toward what I want, in a filter gel: http://www.rosco.com/CFFileServlet/_cf_image/_cfimg6513053213413912437.PNG
That's Permacolor P4200 Deep Purple
Transmission: 89%

found using their graphic search tool: http://www.rosco.com/mycolor/mycolor.cfm

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If it's an LED drop-in, you can try some gel filters. Here's a site that recommends a combination of Rosco R383 Congo Blue and R375 Cerulean Blue. Look up a theatrical lighting supply shop and obtain a RoscoGel sample swatch book to test it.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's an LED light already, and you arn't planning on using it for anything else, I'd go with an LED drop in rather than filter.
UV incan is virtually useless.
UV hid is awesome but need a thick filter to withstand the heat. I use the filter from a magnaflux lamp on my maxabeam, but it's a little thick to try and cut.
I've found high power UV leds to be quite impressive!