POWER FAILURE LAST NIGHT WHILE TAKING THE 250+ LUMEN CHALLENGE

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had quite a humid scorcher yesterday and even before I got home I knew it would rain in a couple of hours. About a half hour after I got home, the wind started to blow VERY hard. I even saw a young sapling bend down so far it must have touched the ground. At that point I figured I better hurry up and start cooking just in case. I never really had any power outages where I live (maybe 2 hours once and some hiccups every full moon), so I wasn't expecting anything that would last, but was kinda hoping since I don't get to be the only light on very often. The power had 2-3 major hiccups while I was cooking and I asked the gods to just let me finish cooking this (don't have a barbecue and didn't feel like bringing out the camping stove).

It was dark, but really DARK… like night time dark! I figured I better keep the TK45 close by and shoved my Malkoff MC-E in my underwear elastic (it was really, really hot). At precisely the moment I decided my steak was done, the power went out (see, the gods listen sometimes) and I disconnected my PSP charger from the wall and plugged it in my computer's UPS (preparedness, man.) All my windows where still open to let the smoke out and I proceeded to eat with my TK45 in turbo tail standing next to me. I swear I never saw my food so clearly. With all the smoke and bright light pouring out of my window, the neighbors from across the street must have thought I was running a diesel generator in my apartment. I should have gone outside and taken a look for myself, because for sure some people must have been staring at me eating my steak while they're in the dark eating carrots with not even a candle. Then it started pouring and the thunder was real close, so I shut all the windows.

Once I finished eating, I figured that the power never goes out this long and no one is stupid enough to climb in a wet pole with that kind of wind and thunder. With the TK45 getting pretty warm by now, I decided I should switch for my LD40 while doing the dishes. I spent the rest of the evening playing on the PSP, talking on the phone and switching between lights to let them cool off. I had to get the TK40 and TK15 at one point. I switched the batteries from the TK40 to the TK45 with the LD40 on (the challenge is specific on using your light on maximum and the TK45 is better at dissipating heat.) It was too dark to keep the lights off with the PSP in my face, so I kept switching lights every now ant then. In the end I drained one set of batteries for the TK45 and one set for the LD40, the PSP was still almost fully charged and I went to bed with the TK15 and a red filter on it. Thinking about those poor unenlightened people across the street probably stuck eating cold or half cooked, doing dishes in the dark and headed for bed early, I was laughing my head off "business as usual here!"

The power only came back after I fell asleep, so I can't say how long it was out. My frozen meat was fine this morning, but I might have lost 2 tubs of ice cream and had plenty of hot water for my shower. I hope the ice cream will still be at least edible because today is another hot humid one with no A/C at home and about 26 batteries to charge.

WHAT ARE THE LESSONS FROM THIS? Not much I didn't know, but I learned a few.

Precious modes, man… I kinda missed my precious lower modes.

If you're going to blast the lights during a power outage, don't forget to close the blinds. I'm sure I was the only thing on for a lot of people last night.

Keep watching for overheat. It is not so much an issue as it used to be, but you wouldn't want to burn out that 150$ light now, would ya?

When your high output LED flashlight switches down because the batteries are getting tired, you might not notice at all, especially if you're busy. Check every now and then because even if you have the impression you're still on turbo, you actually might be on medium by now, which indicates your batteries are dying on you.

Aiming a powerful light at the wall (if it can't tail stand) can be too bright in the context where you can't use a lower mode. I aimed my LD40 inside the desk where objects are darker and reflect less so I didn't see my face in the PSP.

You can't fix the table with a light in hand. Ceiling bounce is the best here because you can see pretty much everything, not just the table or part of it.

Being prepared is key. Mentally prepared is as important as physically prepared. A ups will not keep a computer running for long, but it can charge your batteries. Turn it off if not in use, but don't wait too long before using that precious juice either, as the battery will slowly drain on its own. Charge your batteries early rather than too late.

I just realized I totally forgot about my HID which definitely is more than sufficient for the 250 lumen challenge. It also has a 12V outlet that could have kept me charging batteries for extra hours after the UPS would have been drained, but right now I'm thinking in terms of freaking the neighbors out (thinking about National Lampoon's Christmas vacation when he turns the lights on and the neighbors get sunburns.)

Use your hot water while it's hot and clean those dishes or take that shower you might need. Definitely start with the shower if that's the case.

Eat your ice-cream before it melts. Meat will stay frozen longer and will keep for a good 24 hours in a fairly full freezer as long as you don't open that door more than the one or two times you need to get that ice-cream tub out then in (unless you're a total pig and eat the whole thing, then your meat might keep a little longer…)

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
You need a generator! I don't know if they are (cheaply) available where you are, but this side of the pond there are various Chinese made generators for next to nothing. I've got a small 1200w 4 stroke unit (I didn't want a 2 smoke!) which although probably wouldn't last for many years if I was using it day in, day out, is ideal for couple of hours a year back up. That should make the neighbours jealous! Obviously you still need your torches to find the genny, and get it going though.

I always find it fun in these sorts of situations, a bit of an adventure. Whether I would still think the same after a couple of days is another matter...

ragweed

Enlightened
Power outages is what got me started buying LED lights! I find at the minimum a Photon will work great! The next step is the E01 at 10 hours run-time & can get you through almost anything. I keep a Gerber Ultra Infinity on hand at 25 hours run-time for extended blackouts. You really don't need power lights to get you through IMO.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a generator! [...]

I'll start by buying a house first, otherwise the Gen would have to become my interesting new Ottoman, ;LOL;

[...]You really don't need power lights to get you through IMO.

No you don't... I definitely would have prefered to leave 3-4 lights on at 5 to 30 lumens, or even candles for that matter and not need to spend this evening charging batteries, but I am decided to get through the 250+ lumen challenge no matter what. The power outage just made it even more interesting to stick with the big guns.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract, great story. I think it must have been hard forced to use 250+ lumens. I would cave in and use lower level lights.

We had a power outage at work, State University of NY, Purchase campus. I work in a film/photo archive that is housed in a section of the campus library. Power went out in half the library. Which included the archive. we have big windows in the office so plenty of daylight came in.

I had to use the bathroom. I EDC my Quark AA. I walk down to the bathrooms and the lights are off. Easily taken care of. Just ceiling bounce the light. I walk in and I see this poor guy trying to use one of the urinals, in the dark, with just his crappy flip cell phone as the only source of light.

I felt like a sorry for the guy haha. Walked in, looked at the pitiful guy, did my business and walked out. Leaving him in the darkness fumbling with his cell phone in one hand and his manhood in the other.

Best part was that I could tail stand the quark off the top ledge of the urinal. Which left me hands free to do my business.

HAHA

Sarlix

Enlightened
Haha, way to rub it in Solscud007. You could have at least waited of him to finish his business before walking out with your Quark LOL

carrot

Flashaholic
Sounds like a blast! Heavy rains and lightning here too today and the power flickered so I was hoping for some blackout action myself but alas, no luck.

ganymede

Enlightened
Sounds like a blast! Heavy rains and lightning here too today and the power flickered so I was hoping for some blackout action myself but alas, no luck.

You guys are lucky! In my neck of woods, power failures are part of life, we even have an index named after it! No kidding, it is called System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) and for my state it was 1947 minutes or 32.45 hours in 2010!

Here's something funny, wife and me went to an official dinner function a few weeks back, it was raining a bit outside, just after they start serving the steam fish the power went out, we are so used to power failures I would say majority of the whole hall of people (closed to 1000) stayed put at their tables and finished the whole fish (imagine the bones) with the light from their cellphone flash or screen! Beat that! :sssh:

Just checked wiki, the SAIDI for North Americans is approximately 1.5 hours! Any flasholics thinking of moving to my state with SAIDI value of 32.45 hours? :devil:

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
Nice stories to read. I love my lights and always EDC one, but power outages here in Europe/ Holland are very rare especially while living in the city. I can only remember two power outages in the past 15 years or so (except for a few blown fuses over the years, but that's fixed in less than two minutes, so doesn't really count).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract, great story. I think it must have been hard forced to use 250+ lumens. I would cave in and use lower level lights.[...]
It was very hard not to cave in. I tried with the lights out, but I couldn't see anything at all. Even when I noticed the TK45 only had medium mode left, it was too much, but that's what a challenge is, right?

Walked in, looked at the pitiful guy, did my business and walked out. Leaving him in the darkness fumbling with his cell phone in one hand and his manhood in the other. [...]

That's mean, but then again, keyring flashlights are sold everywhere now. I say let them learn the hard way if that's what they choose.

You guys are lucky! In my neck of woods, power failures are part of life, we even have an index named after it! No kidding, it is called System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) and for my state it was 1947 minutes or 32.45 hours in 2010!
[...]
Just checked wiki, the SAIDI for North Americans is approximately 1.5 hours! Any flasholics thinking of moving to my state with SAIDI value of 32.45 hours? :devil:

Most people only think about the fact that the lights go out and the TV/computer don't work in a power failure (shows how much light is a big part of everyday life), simply because they almost never have power failures, but I can't imagine what that must be like; I hope you guys have a gas stove and I bet you keep a lot of ice in the freezer.

Here's something funny, wife and me went to an official dinner function a few weeks back, it was raining a bit outside, just after they start serving the steam fish the power went out, we are so used to power failures I would say majority of the whole hall of people (closed to 1000) stayed put at their tables and finished the whole fish (imagine the bones) with the light from their cellphone flash or screen! Beat that! :sssh:

Can you imagine a hall with 1000 people that immediately proceed to fishing in their pockets and purses and then tailstand a flashlight the second the power goes out? I'd like to see that one day, but that also would mean I wouldn't be a flashaholic anymore, just slightly better equipped.

If in a state where power goes off for almost the equivalent of a work week per year, if no one else in that hall had a flashlight, then the hope is very, very dim for the unenlightened. I can say that only ONE of my neighbours across the street even had candles and I can see close to 20 appartments from my living room. I sometimes would like to have invisible flying cameras to check out how many of them even checked out the flashlight department and how many bought at least one after seeing MY light! hehe.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it was mean to leave the guy in the darkness. But hey, im prepared. He wasnt. At least he was coping with the use of a cell phone. But that is just sad. Survival of the fittest.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
HAHA Solscud! Nice implementation of SOTF. I still would have just been nice and waited for the guy :p

Cataract Im In Barrie ON and we had the same system pass by us. Power flickered quite often and i was shocked it didn't go out. The wind was incredible. I thought we were getting a tornado. Agian.....

Theirs a soccer field about 1 km away from me with the tiniest Dirt patch for about 5 cars to park on. My windows were open with just the screen infront. I was blasted by sand in my eyes on my computer and what not. A visible layer of sand/dirt was easy to see on my table. Ive never experienced such strong winds. Even while kite surfing. And then it moved East and pummeled your power! =D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good travel distance for such a system. It was a real mean one, but didn't last very long. I could hear the wind whistle real loud through the fences in the back. I almost felt like going out and feel what it's like, but I guess I was too busy. If that ever happens again, I'll go out and take a picture of the lone brightly lit window.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A steak dinner by ceiling bounce while the rest of the neighborhood is dark and a storm rages outside; that could be the most livin' large power outage story yet..

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! You forgot playing videogames all night after cleaning the kitchen (forgot to mention that one)!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, way to rub it in Solscud007. You could have at least waited of him to finish his business before walking out with your Quark LOL

Futile. The guy would've only made a smart-azz remark for your trouble...

I know because it happened to me!

Same as him, I went in a blacked-out bathroom and some poor jerk was trying to pee with nothing but the very, very dim light filtering in from the distant door to the hallway (I don't think he could even really SEE anything, it was a literal shot in the dark!) I stood my TaskForce 2C on the sink counter, took care of my business, and as we were leaving I got hit with one of those snide "boyscout" remarks!! :ohgeez: