NEWBE NEEDS A NEW LIGHT; REDILAST 2900, 18650's WONT WORK WITH FENIX TK15, HEELLP!!

godzilla

Newly Enlightened
i bought a brand new Fenix TK15 light cus it was a nice blend of quality, reliability, durability, and the light functions and intensity were what i was looking for.

next i decided to power the light with the latest and greatest Redilast button top 2900, 18650 cells. bought two. also bought a brand new 4 stage Pila charger.

bad news the cells are too long for the light, and there's no way around this, trust me.

so i can sell the batteries and get others that will work with the light, but after checkin around seems i'd be downgrading for sure - not really interested in that...

or i can sell the TK15 and get another light that (HOPEFULLY) is as good or better and fills all the requirements i stated in my first sentence - I'D RATHER DO THIS.

this is where i'm really gonna need help. i'm new to the flashlight world and need help finding this replacement light. i'm a pipewelder so i need a sturdy, reliable, simple light that really kicks out some lumens. simple low, medium, high beams and about 6 inches long. THE MAIN THING is that it'll fit these Redilast 2900's, which are (ever so slightly rounded up) 69mm long including button top.

MANY THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR HELPING OUT WITH THE LAST POST AND I REALLY VALUE YOUR INPUT IN THIS NEXT STEP - MOVING ON FROM THE TK15 :twothumbs

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you need more light up close or more light far away? I am thinking you would need a floody light for close up work? A floody light will illuminate a wide area with less intense light (because it is more distributed) and will not hurt your eyes when use up close. I am assuming you would rather have flood than that a light with a lot of throw and very intense beam which lights up a smaller area more intensly?

godzilla

Newly Enlightened
so I guess I'll ask "the" question, which is bound to full of opinions:

which is a better cell, Redilast's 2900 or AW's?????

please keep in mind I'm leaning towards another light, and still need suggestions.....

thanks

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
which is a better cell, Redilast's 2900 or AW's?????

haha. Well, the truth is they are the exact same! They both use the Panasonic NCR-18650 cell (more info here http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf2/ACI4000/ACI4000CE17.pdf ). They both have reasonable protection circuits. I recall that the Redilast protection circuit kicks in at a slightly higher voltage which is good. I also like that the Redilast has a bit more "cushion" around the protection circuit to protect it. You can't go wrong with either though. It just depends which will fit in your light better.