Shining Beam 3-Mode Regulated Circuit Board for XML, MC-E, SST-50 wiring help

ljw2k

Enlightened
Hi Thanks that was a quick reply and in the meantime i have soldered it all up and it's working great with the 3 Modes Low / Med / High

What are the 4 configuration of the 4 stars and any diagrams to show what each star gives in star1 is low mode only and so on.

Also using 4x Sanyo eneloops 2500mAh with that driver what sort of runtimes will i be looking at not brushed up on maths and the calculations involed to work it out

Cree X-ML LED Used.

2.8A Driver on full Runtime *****
900mAh on Medium runtime *****
200mAh on Low Runtime ****

Regards Andrew

Last edited:

yazovyet

Enlightened
so 4 AA batteries in serise.
if i am not mistaken that driver will pull current from the batteries equal to what it puts out and burn off any extra power taken from the batteries as heat.
so pulling 2800mA through your 2500 mA batteries should last for around 2500/2800 = 0.9 hours = 53 min. i'd expect it to run less than that due to batteries not being able to deliver the full 2.8A for their entire charge cycle.
2500/900 = 2.77hours = 166.6 min
2500/200 = 12.5 hours = lots of min

that assumes that the driver does not add any more inefficiency when it is regulating at a lower current. i would assume it does in fact become less efficient on medium and low but i am not sure how much. if you find any info on that please post it as i have one and am wondering the same thing

i don't know what the other modes are that you can get from those stars. maybe check kai or DX to see if they have any info about a driver that looks similar?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew, could you measure the current at the emitter when you power it up with
your board ?
The reason I ask, is that I measured the current of a XML powered by a similar
board. With an AW 18650 2900mAH, I measured 2A peak settling down to 1.5A
also using a 32600 batt I measured 2.5A peak before settling at 2A

Just want to confirm something that Justin Case posted in another thread :)

Epsilon

Enlightened
Anyone do the Maths on the runtime for me please.
Could you please read up on this sort of thing? With all respect, you posted a lot of topics with this sort of questions, which indicated a very limited knowledge of electrics (volts/amps/watts and how they relate to each other). You could use the knowledge for future projects :).

These kind of drivers simply limit the current. It basically passes through this driver and just doesn't let more current through.

ljw2k

Enlightened
Andrew, could you measure the current at the emitter when you power it up with
your board ?
The reason I ask, is that I measured the current of a XML powered by a similar
board. With an AW 18650 2900mAH, I measured 2A peak settling down to 1.5A
also using a 32600 batt I measured 2.5A peak before settling at 2A

Just want to confirm something that Justin Case posted in another thread :)

Hi mate i did not measure the current at the emitter but at the cap it reads about 2.7A

Could you please read up on this sort of thing? With all respect, you posted a lot of topics with this sort of questions, which indicated a very limited knowledge of electrics (volts/amps/watts and how they relate to each other). You could use the knowledge for future projects :).

These kind of drivers simply limit the current. It basically passes through this driver and just doesn't let more current through.

Does it matter how many posts i make and if it bothers you so much just don't post on my threads with your Negative answers.:sigh: but just for the book i now know how to work it out so this should make you feel better knowing i am not going to ask the same question again.

The ones Illumination Supply sells are the same as ShiningBeam. He explains at the bottom of the first post what the stars do when jumpered.

Excellent thanks for that information.

star1: 5/30/100/strobe/SOS (w/memory) (also default - no jumper)
star2: 5/100/strobe (w/memory)
star3: 5/30/100 (w/memory)
star4: 5/100 (w/ memory)

Epsilon

Enlightened
Hi mate i did not measure the current at the emitter but at the cap it reads about 2.7A
Then it is 2.7A at the emitter as well :)

Does it matter how many posts i make and if it bothers you so much just don't post on my threads with your Negative answers.:sigh: but just for the book i now know how to work it out so this should make you feel better knowing i am not going to ask the same question again.
Didn't mean to be negative, it's something that I noticed in the topics you started.
I don't mind you posting questions, thats what a forum is for. What you shouldn't do IMHO is just post the question as the easiest way of finding the answer. Instead of asking someone to calculate the runtime, please ask how to calculate the runtime. This way you can learn and do it for your self. This way you can figure out other battery / driver / led configurations for future projects.

GL with the project

ljw2k

Enlightened
Then it is 2.7A at the emitter as well :)

Didn't mean to be negative, it's something that I noticed in the topics you started.
I don't mind you posting questions, thats what a forum is for. What you shouldn't do IMHO is just post the question as the easiest way of finding the answer. Instead of asking someone to calculate the runtime, please ask how to calculate the runtime. This way you can learn and do it for your self. This way you can figure out other battery / driver / led configurations for future projects.

GL with the project

You come across very Negative indeed and I start topics as i am still unsure of what answer i need even after searching , i don't just start a topic for fun !!! it is started for help from more experienced members with the electrical/electronic experience .

If you can point me in the direction using the search button of my original question what is the runtime using 4x eneloops and this configuration please show me.

I'm Sorry " You " don't like me asking these questions but as i have already said above don't post on my thread and try to be little me on an open forum, maybe a pm may be more appropriate.

I now know how to calculate the runtime thanks to yazovyet from his simple explanation and your reply was very un contructive to my question and more likley to annoy which you have achieved to the highest level.

I think this conversation is left as it is now.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'm on my phone so I don't have a link...but if you google "run time calculator" one of the top results will be a handy web-based form where you can enter data and it will calculate for you. I use it all the time.

ljw2k

Enlightened
Thanks Archer6817j for the information and found the below and where or how do i find out what efficiency the driver is as it does not state on the manufactures website
http://www.kenworster.com/ledcalc/

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
80% is a reasonable starting point. However, the shiningbeam driver with a single 18650 is probably more efficient than that...or so I've been told.

Also, I get 90 minutes out of an AW 2600 with that driver. Theoretically it should be less than an hour but the current starts to drop as the battery voltage approaches the LED forward voltage. Less lumens but more run time.

Anyone else have experience with calculated vs observed run time? Mine is limited :)

ljw2k

Enlightened
That's brilliant 90 mins at full power and have you measured the emitter current draw to make sure it is pulling 2.8A ?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is that your questions are very basic, have been asked and answered numerous times over the years, and extremely easy to find the answer using the CPF search. How hard is it to figure out and plug in the search terms "calculate run time"?

As for driver efficiency, same deal. A simple search for "shiningbeam 1217" almost immediately tells you that it is a 7135-based driver. A follow-up CPF search for "7135 efficiency" leads you to the relevant equation of Vload/Vin.

Also if you had read more carefully, you would have also noticed that the 90 min run time is not at full power. Archer's post clearly states "the current starts to drop as the battery voltage approaches the LED forward voltage. Less lumens but more run time." And if you really did understand how to calculate run time, you'd realize that 90 min at full power with an AW18650-2600 isn't going to happen when driving an LED at 2.8A with a Vf somewhere around 3.3V. That's ~10W draw. But the AW18650 is nominally 3.7V and 2.6Ah. Obviously, 2.8A*3.3V is essentially the same magnitude as 3.7V*2.6Ah, which gives a calculated total run time of 1h at full power, assuming that Vin is higher than Vf by the necessary voltage headroom.

IMO, the way to estimate run time with a linear regulator driver like a 7135-based driver is to look at the discharge curve of the cell of interest at the relevant discharge current. Thus, you want to find discharge curves on CPF for whatever Li-ion cells you use, check the curve for say 3A discharge (assuming one is posted) and see how long the cell can hold its voltage above Vf+0.12V, which is the 7135 spec for the voltage overhead to stay in regulation. In reality, parasitic resistance in your flashlight will result in a voltage overhead greater than 0.12V, but you'll at least have a reasonable run time estimate.

ljw2k

Enlightened
The point is that your questions are very basic, have been asked and answered numerous times over the years, and extremely easy to find the answer using the CPF search. How hard is it to figure out and plug in the search terms "calculate run time"?

As for driver efficiency, same deal. A simple search for "shiningbeam 1217" almost immediately tells you that it is a 7135-based driver. A follow-up CPF search for "7135 efficiency" leads you to the relevant equation of Vload/Vin.

Also if you had read more carefully, you would have also noticed that the 90 min run time is not at full power. Archer's post clearly states "the current starts to drop as the battery voltage approaches the LED forward voltage. Less lumens but more run time." And if you really did understand how to calculate run time, you'd realize that 90 min at full power with an AW18650-2600 isn't going to happen when driving an LED at 2.8A with a Vf somewhere around 3.3V. That's ~10W draw. But the AW18650 is nominally 3.7V and 2.6Ah. Obviously, 2.8A*3.3V is essentially the same magnitude as 3.7V*2.6Ah, which gives a calculated total run time of 1h at full power, assuming that Vin is higher than Vf by the necessary voltage headroom.

IMO, the way to estimate run time with a linear regulator driver like a 7135-based driver is to look at the discharge curve of the cell of interest at the relevant discharge current. Thus, you want to find discharge curves on CPF for whatever Li-ion cells you use, check the curve for say 3A discharge (assuming one is posted) and see how long the cell can hold its voltage above Vf+0.12V, which is the 7135 spec for the voltage overhead to stay in regulation. In reality, parasitic resistance in your flashlight will result in a voltage overhead greater than 0.12V, but you'll at least have a reasonable run time estimate.

Thanks for the post Justin and i did not read Archers post correct ( Long Day ) and i am using AA Sanyo Eneloops not Li-Ion Cells and is getting late here in Uk so will have to see if i can find a chart for the Enloops 2400mAh tomorrow.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I know hellokitty already answered your initial question, but if you look closely at the pictures in my XM-L build thread you can see where the wires go.

I do believe you posted in that thread as well....