L4 VS Pacific Ocean

dlee96

Newly Enlightened
I just came back from an all day ocean kayak trip, my first kayak experience. First of all, nothing stays dry, even in "dry" bags. They may as well call them, "less wet" bags. Anyways, I clipped an L4 onto the outside of my camelbak to illuminate some caves we explored. Let me tell you, first time kayaking and trying to launch in 4-6 foot waves is not cool. In the break, I was "thrown" several times, and finally swam, or floated with kayak in tow, back to shore to take a break. During this time, everything on me was soaked, and most things ruined. My keychain inova corroded and left a mess on my keys, my 256MB usb key is ruined and my cell phone has some corrosion at the battery terminals. And these things were all in a "dry" bag. Even with some use, the L4 clipped on the OUTSIDE of my camelbak survived perfectly. Upon rinsing at home, it was perfectly dry (besides some lube) past the o-rings. The only things that survived unscathed were my camelbak (rim runner - also awsome), benchmade knife, and trusty L4.

Oh yeah, "surfing" back to shore on a kayak is actually kinda fun.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-dlee

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
Dlee,
Yeah! Send this thread to Surefire. I just sent a "slightly" more embarrassing thread to Streamlight and they got such a laugh out of it, they're sending me a new "Clip-Mate".
There's also a lesson here. It's called, "Keep a watch on your O-rings" and replace when needed.

Will