Deerelight dbs with xm-l emitter against same equipped lights

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
hi, i have a dbs v3 with xr-e emitter and thinking of upgrading to the xm-l pill
any dbs v3 owners out there with the new xm-l emitter?
hoping for some comparisons against the other xm-l equipped lights like the
catapult v2/v3, eagletac m3c4.

thanks

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a DBS V3 with a XM-L, and a Catapult XM-L, V2. The beam pattern of these two lights are similar with a good balance of throw and flood, but the Catapult is brighter and has more throw. The DBS is kind of a smaller version of the Catapult.
I also upgraded my Deerelight from the XRE-R2 pill to the XM-L, and I prefer the XM-L. It doesn't throw as far as the R2 pill, but still very good.

Last edited:

nc_hooper

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a bunch of Deerelight stuff (pills, various reflectors, small, DBS, Aspheric heads, etc). When comparing the DBS V3 against my Olight M31 SST-90, the spot size is about the same, but the M31 has more throw due to more lumens (800 vs estimated 600) and a larger reflector. But the DBS uses a lot less power on high (11 vs 20 watts) and has no thermal run-time limitations.

I really like my DBS/XM-L combination, especially when using a 4500K, 2.8 amp Nailbender Pill running from one 18650. Compact size compared to my other throwers, nice warm color, decent throw and quite bright spill (around the hotspot and overall). The nailbender pill is not quite as bright as my Deerelight XM-L pill (running 2x18650), mainly because of the slightly lower efficiency of the 4500K (T5 vs T6 bin). Both draw about 11 watts. I also like better the spacing of the 3 power levels (5%, 30%, 100% for the nailbender vs 25%, 50%, 100% for the dereelight).

I also have XR-E 1.5 amp, XR-E single battery, XP-E and XP-G Dereelight pills. The XR-E 1.5 amp definitely has the most throw, but there are considerable rings. The XP-E has no rings and just as small of a hotspot (but has less throw). The XR-E 1.5 amp with the aspheric puts the Olight M31 to shame.

Andy

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies guys.
i just noticed that the dbs v3 has been noticeably missing in the most recent throw/output charts
of the new thrower flashlight reviews. i was just wondering if the dbs has been surpassed by these newer
lights and thats why it isnt relevant anymore.

has any of you guys with the dbs v3 with xm-l tried putting on the aspheric? i have the dbs aspheric as well
and was wondering what would the beam pattern be compared against the xr-e. thanks. :)

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I have tried the aspheric with the XM-L and it puts out the same intense square beam as the R2, but since the emitter is larger, the size of the square beam is as well. Probably over twice the size. Very useful if you want to illuminate a larger area from a distance.
I'm not sure if the newer lights have surpassed the Deerelight, in terms of throw. There probably are some. It's just that the newer lights always receive more attention, postings, and reviews, than the older lights.

zip

Newly Enlightened
Here's a quick comparison

DBS Ver2 XR-E Q5
DBS%20Ver2%20XR-E%20Q5.JPG

DBS Ver3 XM-L 700
DBS%20Ver3%20XM-L%20700.JPG

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true the new lights have surpassed the DBS in terms of throw. The reason is that lights like the Catapult V3 and EagleTac M3C4 have larger heads (2.5" diameter reflector in those vs 2" diameter for the DBS). It seems to me that the larger lights like the M3C4 and Cat V3 can drive the XML harder too because they are larger lights with larger heat sinks that shed more heat. Edit: looked it up. The Dereelight XML pill is driven at 2.5A while the M3C4 and Cat V3 must be driven at about 3A.

The DBS with the XRE R2 will do about 25k lux @ 1m while the Cat V3 and M3C4 with the XML are doing 45k lux @ 1m.

Since the XML is a larger emitter with a lower surface brightness than the XRE and it is in the same size light with the same size reflector, it stands to reason the XML in the DBS is doing less than the 25k lux the light will do with the XRE. If I had to guess, I would say the DBS with XML will do 15k lux (or so) which is less than 1/2 of what the M3C4 and Cat V3 will do. Oh, and it goes without saying that you would HAVE to have the extension tube on your DBS to run TWO 18650 cells to even come close to fully driving the XML.

Last edited:

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
alpal, nc hooper,tre,zip.....thanks for the response and info guys.
i really hope deerelight would come up with a new head to match the newest throwers out there
and for cree to kick up their xr-e to the next level.:)

anyone tried to fit a cat head to a dbs body using a xm-l or xr-e emitter?hehe

Latest posts