How to unscrew the head of a TK45?

GBD

Newly Enlightened
The TK-45 has 3 heads on it, and they are stuck there pretty tight. the top rings have a catch on them, but I don't want to put something there to twist it as I would like to preserve the anodization.

any ideas how to unscrew the heads without damaging them?

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried it on a TK45, but I've loosened several stubborn bezels with a round wooden dowel. A plastic writing pen can work just as well. Lay either across the indentations then push down with plenty of force while turning to the left to loosen.

GBD

Newly Enlightened
Thank you maskman, that worked.

I also found out why it was so damn difficult to undo em, the threads had a generous coating of blue loctite.

well, I unscrewed the heads back on, unforchantly I was using some random metal rod I had handy to do that, and ended up scratching the tips...well, it got off, and I ended up sanding it over the scratches and for the hell of it removed more anodizaton so at least it blends in... I kinda like how it turned out anyways...

A tad of polishing, and I actually liked how it turned out beside the anodized parts... Wasn't ever intentional, but not that bad I say :)

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/****edthemud/polas.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
the threads had a generous coating of blue loctite... ended up scratching the tips

Reason I don't buy certain brands anymore, including Fenix.

Your results look very nice.

GBD

Newly Enlightened
Its not a bad light mate, I quite like it.... but just as a light to leave alone..
to me it would probably be just too much a pain in the *** to mod further without needing to machine new modules as Ill probably break the old ones trying to get them out.

(somehow I don't feel like making new ones today)

so if you plan to keep this light as is and don't do anything to it... not bad.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I buy a light I know the emitter will be "out of date" in a year or more.

I also know that some chemicals used in the manufacture of the light can condense on the lens and make it look very hazy.

If I can't open the light, I can't restore it to "good as new" condition. I consider any light with an epoxied head a "disposable" light.

Unfortunately my occupation rarely needs lighting, and my night-life is not very active. I buy flashlights out of interest/hobby and not for heavy use.

GBD

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I see what your saying.
Well, thats true I suppose, because it would be hell for me to get into the guts of this thing for repair (same for modification).
if the heads are loctited, reason tells me the rest of the light probably is too.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not a bad light mate, I quite like it.... but just as a light to leave alone..
to me it would probably be just too much a pain in the *** to mod further without needing to machine new modules as Ill probably break the old ones trying to get them out.

(somehow I don't feel like making new ones today)

so if you plan to keep this light as is and don't do anything to it... not bad.

I agree!! I have a TK45 as well and am quite fond of it. I've never had a problem with a Fenix light. GBD, your mod looks great :twothumbs

GBD

Newly Enlightened
Not much of a mod.. just an accident :)

I was half thinking about turning this into a laser, (woulda just machined some modules to pop into the heads).... but after the loctite issue, and seeing that this light is a keeper, I desided not to.

GBD

Newly Enlightened
yeah... ive never been too much a stickler for warranties :p
as far as im concerned, this is not a defective product and therefore its a go-ahead for me to start messing with it

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
I've tried everything with mine to get it open... no way. Everything from a rod across the head as mentioned, heat gun, the works. I gave up. Don't like the tint-too green. So it went in the parts bin.

Rich