Another New LED at Wal-Mart

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
I just left Wal-Mart about an hour ago. As usual I walked by the flashlights. I was surprised that they had not fully restocked from the panic buying, of all their flashlights, from the threat of the last hurricane. That has been over a week and it missed South Carolina by a long ways. However, they did have hanging on the wall several Brinkmann Rebels in 2 D size, with 4 LEDs. It was in a bubble pack with 2 D Energizer batteries for $19.95. The package said you could turn on 2 LEDs or 4 LEDs. It uses a different switch for the LEDs than the on/off switch. The lens looks like each of the 4 LEDs have their own focused lens. My LED Rebel is 1 LED and 2AA. Since I have never seen a 4 LED 2D Rebel I am assuming that they are new.

Have any of you seen or tried this light yet?

Even though they have not restocked their normal supply of flashlights they did have in stock a "large" center aisle display of Gag (excuse me Mag) lights. I am talking literally hundreds of 3 cell Mags. How in the world one Wal-Mart store thinks they are going to sell that many Gag (I mean Mag) lights after the hurricane threat is over is beyond me? Do you think there is that many unknowledgeable flashlight people to sell that many Mags?

James

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i heard that it aint the bst light plus it is huge this is where i saw about the light.and he knows his stuff link

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Yea, it is huge. The tube seemed to be bigger in diameter than a normal 2 D size but then it does have the same style rubber sleeve on it that the 2AA Rebel has. I would think this light should have a very long run time on 2 D cells.

James

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey, LightofMine!

Gee, I dunno about all those M*gs! Maybe if they had drastically discounted them all, then some modders would be very happy!
However, on the other hand, being reminded to be prepared for disasters, which a threat of ahurricane can do, does increase the demand for such items. I was stationed in Myrtle Beach when ol' Hugo decided to drop in.

Later!

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine just fine, and had figured they were no longer made as my local WM got a few in, sold them out months ago, and I haven't seen them since. Guess not. Cool. It's great for the price.

The WMs in Cary and Raleigh also aren't restocked, not even half-way, after over a week since Isabel. <shrug> Dunno why it's taking so long.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Since you tested one back in June, it is obvious they are not new. Since I never seen or heard of one until tonight I thought they were new. Have you done a run time on one yet?

I have experienced 3 major hurricanes in my life time. The last one was hurricane Hugo in 1989. It came to Charleston SC. during the night and the lights did not come back on for 3 weeks in my neighborhood. Back then people didn't know what LED flashlight were and Mags were still king. I would loved to have had a LED Rebel back then, 2AA or 2D. Batteries were a premium. It was days before stores opened then you had to stand in long lines while they only let a few people in at time. If you were very far back in the line the batteries were all gone when you got there (every size gone). In every situation in my life where I "REALLY NEEDED" a flashlight, long run time and available batteries were far more important than brightness and long throw. If I had to go though another major hurricane and if I could have only one light and my choices were a $19.00 Rebel or a $300.00 Surefire M6, I would pick the Rebel. In fact I would pick "any" long running LED alkaline battery light over "any" 123 Lithium Xenon light.

I do like bright flashlights, in fact I plan to order a Sreamlight TL-3 Xenon from BrightGuy soon. To me bright flashlights are mostly for "playing flashlights". My grandson and I play flashlights all the time. It is lot's of fun.

So if this $20.00 Rebel has a long run time, it may be a good addition to my LED collection.

James

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it was a great light until i dropped it on it's head and the soldering on the wires all broke off..

the led module and all the guts are connected to the flashlight by 3 wires.. two are hanging, but one is connected to the top of the circuit board, and soldered from the underside of the circuit board..

it's no wonder the soldering snapped, it barely has any give..

but prior to that, it was a great light.. nice and bright, nice balance, nice grip, it's had at least 5 hours of use and is still bright..

i guess i'd be willing to give this light away to someone who can resolder the wires into place.. since i don't have the equipment to do it.. and have no idea if brinkmann would replace it.

wwglen

Enlightened
I think that the Wal-Marts in this area (Eastern NC) are not restocked because Wal-Mart is changing their light selection.

I saw a neat 3 or 4 LED Clip Light, No Name. Runs on 3 AAA with RED LEDs. About $7.00. I didn't get it because the shelf tag said WHITE Leds so I thought I would wait for the white ones.

wwglen

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
Even though they have not restocked their normal supply of flashlights they did have in stock a "large" center aisle display of Gag (excuse me Mag) lights. I am talking literally hundreds of 3 cell Mags. How in the world one Wal-Mart store thinks they are going to sell that many Gag (I mean Mag) lights after the hurricane threat is over is beyond me? Do you think there is that many unknowledgeable flashlight people to sell that many Mags?

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Christmas is here soon:)
Everyone needs a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
I took a look at that four led last night at Walmart, but walked away without it.
How do you feel about the brightness/beam quality on a scale of 1 to ten, with say a rayovac 2d at 1 and a SFM6 at 10? (for comparable overall bulkiness)

It might be a nice choice for a utility light, but I am thinking about getting a few Surefire G2's for the same reason. I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

David <><

JJHitt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
In every situation in my life where I "REALLY NEEDED" a flashlight, long run time and available batteries were far more important than brightness and long throw. If I had to go though another major hurricane and if I could have only one light and my choices were a $19.00 Rebel or a $300.00 Surefire M6, I would pick the Rebel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I couldn't agree more. The most "tactical" thing I do is check to see if the seat is up or down.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had occasion tonight, right after getting an A2, to use it to find out what was jamming a Dispoz-All. That, and avoiding the big honking spiders that keep building webs right across walkways around here. That's the limit of my tactical needs.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Checking seat attitudes and avoiding bogey spiders are excellent tactical uses. Sounds like you get as much tactical use as the typical LEO, even if you life doesn't depend on it. (unless falling in or getting a huge spider netted to your face is likely to give you heart failure) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

David <><

Latest posts