Modded streamlight's "c4" led

muddrunner198

Newly Enlightened
We all know that there is nothing special about SL's "c4" leds. I started with a SL stinger led hp. Its a nice light with good throw. Thats what I like, its all about distance to me. My light came with a Cree XR-E emitter, unown bin. Its ran at about 700ma and puts out 200 lumens. I coud easily light up 200 yards and see the beam hit around 400 yards. But I wanted brighter. I ordered a XM-L t6 bin on a 16mm board. Its rated for 280-300 lumens @ 700ma. I did not want to change my driver, because it is made funky in the switch assembly. The led swap was straight foward though, just unsolder two wires and resolder two eires. The result wasa brighter, floodier light, that is only good for about 150 yards. If I lived in the city it would be perfect but I live on a farm with wide open spaces. So sadly, I will be putting my xre back in, and using the xml in another project. I had some pics of the build and brfore an after beamshots, then accidently deleted my entire sd card.

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
A better compromise between output and throw might be an XP-G. Though with reflectors made for XR-E emitters, the focal point is quite far back from the opening. Using a lambertian emitter like the XP-G might mean you lose some light out the sides because the emitter is slightly outside of the reflector opening to be at the optimal focal point.