Crazy SST-90 with one IMR 18650

BlahHead

Newly Enlightened
Hi torch-bearers,

I was wondering about building a supercharged mini light setup with the following specs:

A Luminus SST-90
An Aurora SSC-p7 black body
An orange peel reflector that came with the body
An AW IMR 18650
No driver... This would be a direct drive since AW IMR's are known to deliver more than 10A

The purpose of this light would be to shine it for bursts of time (30 sec max) just for the spite of it. :D

I already own the Aurora body and a Trustfire X6, and I've been more than impressed with the power of the SST-90!

Would this be a plausible build without burning anything up? I'm only a high school student with limited knowledge about drivers and currents and blah blah, so I'm not quite sure how to wire things up... I'll just trust the IMR not to explode or for the LED not to turn into ashes.... XD

What do you pros think?

Epsilon

Enlightened
Funny, though of the same thing, but there where a few things holding me back :). The pill is rubbish, it needs to be much more solid. I made a new one for my xm-l conversion. The second thing is a bigger problem: the switch. This can't handle the current to make the stt90 worthwhile. It can handle up to 2amp fine, but that's even out of spec! So I went for the xm-l instead with a 8x7135 driver.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 1 IMR18650 you would get nowhere even close to 10 amps. I think I tried it out when I first got an SST-90 and it was pulling maybe 3 amps if not lower in a single cell.

Mac

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 4 amps with direct drive AMR and SST-90 on modified maglite host.

BlahHead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for ya info Epsilon, but would the pill and the tail switch stiil be a problem if it's on for only 30 seconds or so?

With 1 IMR18650 you would get nowhere even close to 10 amps. I think I tried it out when I first got an SST-90 and it was pulling maybe 3 amps if not lower in a single cell.

Hmm.... yes--why not? Were there any problems to the connections.... perhaps thin wires?
Oh, that brings up a question: are my Trustfire X6's super thin wires holding up the current? The wires that are connected to the LED are only 0.5mm thin...

Thankss!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Molive was the only one that reported high amps with IMR direct drive, many other tried & no one got above 5Amp.
He might have an over compensated artificially high reading after Rigging his Volt meter with beef wires, or perhaps the meter is off?

I've tested a number of With IMR 26500, 26650 & 18650, under direct drive with nothing but short 20AWG wires,
I get 3.5A to 4.5A usually, after Shocking the led with 15Amp to reduce VF, I get 4.5-5.5A.
The Vf of SST-90 appears to be fairly close.

When put into a flashlight, expect the amp to drop a bit due to flashlight resistance.
I am willing to bet that the OP's SST-90 won't get above 4.5Amp in a flashlight with IMR18650.

The trustfire driver delivers 5.5Amp on high.

maglitesux

Newly Enlightened
This is an MTE SF-23 light I upgraded to an SST-90.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64376094@N07/http://flic.kr/p/9W4uRP
9W4uDF
photostream
photostream

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
get 9 amp with 1x18650 and sst-90 its hard, are necesary:

lucky for got low vf led

thick wires for the led

very thick wires for the multimeter I use 8mm2 (awg 8)

battery fullcharged at 4.2v

no springs:
img1142z.jpg

im not the only one have get 9 amp this guy have get too 9 amp
1103amp.jpg

but I prefer the xml, with some xm-l in paralel are very easy get more than 9 amp in this size
img1217u.jpg

img1229xr.jpg

Last edited: