GPS for iPhone use data plan?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I am planning to get Magellan Roadmate for my iphone. I want to know if I use the gps function (pre-loaded maps) on my iphone, does it charge me for using data? I don't have a data plan. I read on the web with mixed answers. I know you guys/gals are a smart bunch. I hope you can answer this for me. TIA

DG

Last edited:

Dutchprep

Newly Enlightened
You have to check the software. It depends on what type of iPhone you have. The only navigation app I know of that doesn't use data if your iPhone has built-in GPS (that is 3G and beyond, IIRC) is Tom-Tom for the iPhone.

flashflood

Enlightened
Hello,

I am planning to get Magellan Roadmate for my iphone. I want to know if I use the gps function (pre-loaded maps) on my iphone, does it charge me for using data? I don't have a data plan. I read on the web with mixed answers. I know you guys/gals are a smart bunch. I hope you can answer this for me. TIA

DG

Navigon works even if you don't have any cellular signal -- takes a little longer to get initial satellite lock without using cell towers to triangulate, but it works. It's expensive for an app ($59), but it has completely replaced my Garmin Nuvi 360.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navigon works even if you don't have any cellular signal -- takes a little longer to get initial satellite lock without using cell towers to triangulate, but it works. It's expensive for an app ($59), but it has completely replaced my Garmin Nuvi 360.

I have a iphone 3g using T-Mobile. I have roaming data turned off and I have no data plan. I tried using Navigon and it seems to work okay... did I get charged data?

edit: I read it takes a few kb to get a initial satellite lock, but after that it uses the map it was pre-loaded into the iphone. Is that true?

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
I have a iphone 3g using T-Mobile. I have roaming data turned off and I have no data plan. I tried using Navigon and it seems to work okay... did I get charged data?

edit: I read it takes a few kb to get a initial satellite lock, but after that it uses the map it was pre-loaded into the iphone. Is that true?

Not according to this: http://tech.kateva.org/2010/08/navigon-mobilenavigator-my-review.html

I have successfully used Navigon in places where there is no cellular signal at all, like Death Valley.

flashflood

Enlightened
iPhones 3G and newer all have A-GPS support, so it will use data from time to time unless you can deactivate A-GPS.

A-GPS is just an accelerator for initial satellite lock. If the phone can triangulate from cell towers, it will; otherwise it will use 100% GPS and just take a little longer to initialize.

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't forget that with iOS 4 you can disable the usage of cellular data in the Settings app, so if you need to be certain you are not using up data you can flip the switch.