Gun Show

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I was going to try and make it to that show, but Im working 13hr nite shifts 7 days a week for the next month.
I have a Sub 2000 w/G17 grip. IT ROCKS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
This thing is a hoot to shoot. Bought mine on line for about $290 after s/h/FFL xfer fee's.
If you have a choice, get the one with Glock 19(new model) grips as you will be able to use G17 and G19 magazines. They make a S&W grip version (cheaper mags). There are 9mm and .40 versions. Remember, 9mm ammo is cheaper and more readily available.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
R983, they are not "clips", they are magazines. Amateurs and thugs call them "clips".

Stay away from the no-name firearms. For a quality shotgun Remington, Winchester and Mossberg all make a home defense model. Remington will be the strudiest and have better parts availability.

Pass on silly accessories like the heat shield, folding/pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights and side saddle. Plenty of professional work has been done with a "social" shotgun having a plain bead site and 18' barrel.

I would recommend a Surefire integrated forend. A 2-shot mag extension coming even with the barrel is nice but not neccesary. This is all you need for HD.

Wal Mart offers a Remington 870 Express with 28' and 20' barrel with rifle sights. The 20' is available rifled or smooth. That could be your slug gun for deer, or smooth for HD.

Ebay and Gunbroker have 18' barrels for auction often. You can also order a Mossberg made Remington 870 18' barrel for less, usually around a $100 from Bass Pro or Cabella's(don't remember which). Last I heard, Mossberg was making all of Remington's barrels anyway.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
R983 said:
what the hell is a clip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, they are turn of the century; new technology.

The turn of the 19th century! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They're "Stripper Clips"

Little pieces of sheet metal that are folded to hold the rim of a cartridge, normally holding five to ten cartridges.

Is that enough of an answer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have found that "Gun Nuts" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and "Firearms Enthusiasts" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif are very precise in there use of terms and descriptions. Improper usage of some terms could lead to a catastrophe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yea, that Sub2000 looks like a lot of fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif And 9mm is definitely the way to go. Ammo is "real cheap" if you don't mind surplus, and just "inexpensive" if you want domestic. Look at some of the places online. Shipping isn't that bad.

Tomas

Banned
Ayup!

Us gun nuts do tend to be real persnikity about the terminology used. Don't know when most get it, but the sargeant who taught me about everything from revolvers to .50 cal machine guns and grenades was always that way. Maybe I picked it up from him. I know he hoped I would, eventually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used clips, belts, magazines and speedloaders. You didn't call one by another's name or ol' sarge would but yet another dent in your pith helmet, hoping to help your memory function.
blinkie.gif

Did I tell you about the time I almost go me a helicopter with that .50? Too bad it was one o' ours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

T_sig6.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've ever seen the metal clips that hold the rounds in the M1 Garand, you've seen a clip fed gun. There are also the stripper clips like the ones used to load an SKS, or the magazine of an M16/AR15.

I don't consider ghost ring sights on shotguns to be silly. They are good if you use slugs a lot. If you're just using shot, then ghost rings aren't needed though. The side saddle shell holders are a pain to use. I tried one on my Mossberg, but took it off. Maybe if it was one of the newer 4 round holders, buth the 5 round was too long to the rear. I like the stocks that hold 4 spare rounds though. It doesn't add any bulk to the gun. I kindo f like pistol gip stosk too. Not the pistol grip only, with no shoulder stock though. I mean the ones that are like those of an M16, shoulder stock with the vertical pistol grip. It's just what I'm used to.

Those Kel-Tecs look nice. Inexpensive, compact, and you can get them to use different magazines. If you get the one that uses Glock mags though, you could end up paying as much for a handful of mags as you did on the gun. Full capacity Glock 17 mags (17 rounds) can cost over a hundred bucks if new, or in like new condition. But it is a nice option of have. I thought about the .40 S&W version, but I figure, if I want a rifle (carbine) sized gun, I want a rifle (or carbine) cartridge. The new .223/5.56 looks nice.

onelight

Enlightened
Is the UNC made in the Philippines a copy of a mod37 ithaca if it is I have heard of some quality control problems with those.I love the ghost ring sights on my Mossberg work very well with slugs and are fast to pick up.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I've always thought "Clips" were for rifles/long guns vs. "Mags" for handguns.
What about SMG's or the Thompson's 30rnd drum?
Anyone looked at the new Beretta CX4?

onelight

Enlightened
Clips as a rule are used to load a magazine pistol or rifle in attached magazine or detachable magazine.The magazine is the container that holds and feeds the rounds to the bolt,to be loaded into the chamber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif a drum is a magazine, Does this explnation make sense?

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Ayup!

Us gun nuts do tend to be real persnikity about the terminology used.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I going too far to insist that a revolver isn't a pistol? I know technically I'm right but the dictionary disagrees.

JackBlades

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:

Plenty of professional work has been done with a "social" shotgun having a plain bead site and 18' barrel.

Ebay and Gunbroker have 18' barrels for auction often. You can also order a Mossberg made Remington 870 18' barrel for less, usually around a $100 from Bass Pro or Cabella's(don't remember which).

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as us gun nuts are getting our facts straight, let me point out that the eighteen foot barrel is more of a goose gun than a home defense option. I won't even get into the 20 & 28 footers..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Pass on silly accessories like the heat shield, folding/pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights and side saddle.

[/ QUOTE ]I resemble that remark.

Mossberg M590A1 18.5" 5+1
Pistol grip forend
Rear pistol grip w/stock
Heat shield
Side saddle
Bushnell Holosight
TACM-III tac light w/tape switch
Laser w/tape switch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunspot,........nevermind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JackBlades said:
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:

Plenty of professional work has been done with a "social" shotgun having a plain bead site and 18' barrel.

Ebay and Gunbroker have 18' barrels for auction often. You can also order a Mossberg made Remington 870 18' barrel for less, usually around a $100 from Bass Pro or Cabella's(don't remember which).

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as us gun nuts are getting our facts straight, let me point out that the eighteen foot barrel is more of a goose gun than a home defense option. I won't even get into the 20 & 28 footers..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah yeah, whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif " vs '

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
clip magazine definition...the the best of my knowledge a simplification might help. The magazine can be internal or external and fully contains all but possibly the top cartridge, it may or may not be contained. In an M1 Garand there is both a magazine and a clip. The clip goes into the magazine and the magazine is fixed while the clip is ejected after the last round. On some bolt guns, there is an internal magazine that is fixed but can be loaded with or without a clip where the clip is not needed after using them to load the magazine. The tube on a shotgun would be a magazine. Magazines that are external contain the cartriges fully except for what is showing of the top round and can be charges by clips that do not fully contain the cartridge.

R983

Newly Enlightened
Well, I ordered the KEL-TEC Sub-2000 today. I got it chambered in 9mm and set up to use Glock Magazines. It comes with one 10 round magazine, which is good enough for now, eventually I will look into the higher capacity Glock magazines. KEL-TEC also came out with a picatinny rail that mounts under the fore-end, I'll probably end up getting one of these in the future( for a tactical light of course!). From what I've heard, the Sub-2000 digests both cheap surplus ammunition and high end defensive ammunition nicely so I shouldn't have any problems with finding ammo.

I should get my KEL-TEC sometime next week, and I'm planning a trip for possibly the weekend of the 11th and 12th of October to go shooting. I'll let you guys know what my thoughts of it are, and maybe have some pics for you.

P.S. Here's a nice review I found of the Sub-2000.

Sub-2000 Review

Rich

AlphaTea

Enlightened
R893,
Congrats on your purchase.
Best place I've found for 9mm ammo is, believe it or not, Wally world. $10.85 for Winchester white box 100rd FMJ. No waiting, no shipping charge, only tax.
Dont bother going to the Irondequoit store, they dont have ammo.
To talk with other Kel-tec owners go to KTOG lots of good info there. Did you get the G17 or G19 grip?