Flicker in my new Solarforce L2/HAIII

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all let me say that my new Solarforce L2/HAIII us sweet, I'm running a Solarforce LC-XP G(.8~4.2V) module in the head! But I've noticed that there's some flicker due to(laterial) physical movement. Right now I'm using an Ultrafire 18650 cell with a good charge. I think it's the length or height of the cell, but I can't find my calipier to be sure. Has anyone else seen this?

chiphead

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing to try is always to stretch out the tail cap spring and or the spring on the drop in a bit to make sure it is constantly in contact with the battery. This has solved my problem 9 times out of ten when this happens. If it is actually the lateral shake that is the issue, it could be that one of the aforementioned springs is not contacting the leads (possibly wandering onto the plastic wrap of the cell instead of the leads?). You can fix this by wrapping your battery with something (paper, thin cardboard etc...) to keep it from moving laterally withing the tube.

Good luck.

richpalm

Banned
Tailcap retaining ring might be loose-tighten with a stout pair of tweezers in the two holes you'll see.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
...and also make sure you don't have a lot of excess lube on the threads or the ends of the mating surface of head-to-body and tailcap-to-body.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes cleaning the springs and contacts can help this problem in addition to stretching springs and tightening tail cap retaining rings. If none of those previously suggested fix-its work try some small rare-earth disk shaped magnets on one end of the battery and adjust the number of magnets you stack accordingly. DX can be a good source of these at a low price, such as SKU 5962 (10mm x 1 mm 20 pack) or SKU 4248 (8mm 20 pack) I find these magnets are a good thing to keep on hand and they are cheap enough to keep a good supply around. Just be careful with them as they are brittle and can break if they smash themselves together.