Opalec Newbeam question(s)...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the Newbeam has been around for quite some time, but I've never gotten around to getting one. Questons:

1. How bright is it compared to a PT Attitude on fresh alkalines?

2. Has anyone tried running a Newbeam from 1x123 cell, and how long was the run-time off of a 123 cell?

Thanx in advance for any responses!

PJD

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/reviews/reviews_index_leds.htm

Opalec 41 lumens @ 1m
Attitude 37

I'm surprised by that, though, as the Attitude has a 15 ohm resistor and draws 180mA with new alkies. The Opalec drives its LEDs about half that hard. Testing it right now...yes, I'd have to agree with the review site, they're about the same brightness. <shrug> Go figure.

quote from older thread:
"The newbeam is the best regulated flashlight I have - the ARCs are nothing like as steady. It draws about 340ma at cutoff (1.8 or so), down to 160ma at 3V. Light comes on at 2V - the red one.
Brightness is rock steady over the whole 2-3V range."

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how the opalec new beam would run on a 1AA? Like in Roths minimini mag

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
Won't run on a regular AA, but one of my EDC lights is a minimini mag with an Opelec and a 3.6V Lith AA.

Works great.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Don't mean to Hijack the thread but how bout a comparison between the Opalec and Inretech in the mm conversion.
I've read that the Opalec is good for camping. Camping meaning setting up camp, reading and trips to the outhouse.
And maybe some night hikes.
Does one have an advantage over the other?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Opalec is 41 lumens?!?!?! That would make it brighter than a KL1.... I don't think mine even compares to a KL1?!?!?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its 41 LUX, not lumens. Check Flashlightreviews.com for a thorough explanation of the differences in these 2 standards.