Got new Veleno e-series drop-in. ... meh

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1e I ordered finally arrived so I plopped in the Veleno e-series drop in and fired it up. Meh. It really doesn't seem like 200 lumens on high, more like 120 but the brighter spill could be fooling me. The spill is really wide on this setup. The hotspot is nice but weak if that makes any sense. Again that could be cuz there is more light in the spill. Just not what I was expecting. The tint is gorgeous though. Its pretty warm for a neutral emitter. The PWM is noticeable if your looking for it. I think I should've saved my money for a Ra Clicky 200. I also have to toggle the button twice almost everytime to change modes. Not a biggie tbough at least not for me. I will most likely put the module on the marketplace in a little while. I will keep my new black E1e however which its interesting to note has the new Surefire logo even though its being discontinued. (Which is shame). Well there is my two cents worth, if its worth that much at all.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

elumen8

Enlightened
KDOG3, what would you compare the beam to? I'm planning on packing my E1e with the three mode Veleno also. Could you possibly take a couple beamshots?

Thanks,
JB

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector in the E series are not really made for the XP-G tower module. I learnt that after I received my single mode tower. The design of the tower module is a compromise for those who wants to convert their incand E series into an LED. For a flood beam it is real nice, but I always wished for more throw. I had asked Steve if there is anyway for him to lower the LED on the module a little so that more throw could be achieved but he told me that it would produce a more ringy beam.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector in the E series are not really made for the XP-G tower module. I learnt that after I received my single mode tower. The design of the tower module is a compromise for those who wants to convert their incand E series into an LED. For a flood beam it is real nice, but I always wished for more throw. I had asked Steve if there is anyway for him to lower the LED on the module a little so that more throw could be achieved but he told me that it would produce a more ringy beam.

So how ringy as it comes now?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what pjandyho meant is that by lowering the LED, it'll produce a ringy beam. Right now, there isn't.

The E1E has a small head with a shallow reflector as it is, expecting throw even after it's converted to led isn't possible unless some sort of optics are implemented. If you want a small package that gives you a wide peripheral and even beam, E1E + Veleno can answer that call. But if you want throw, better off getting a E1b. :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The e series heads are a great untapped market for led drop-ins. I'm surprised there aren't more options for this. I've always wondered if the 3 and 5mm leds have got any better so that a direct drive setup could be made with respectable output and loooooonngg runtime.

Can't take beamshots, as my phone is the only computer I got.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experimented with that, by using O-rings and shims so that the LED sits lower in the reflector.
the beam was not as nice. Steve set-up the position and height of the LED as good as it can be.

I too, wasnt too impressed, the spill was great though, wide and bright. and did seem to be around 200 lumens when doing a ceiling bounce test compared to other lights. i had a neutral R4 5B tint, and with all neutral XP-Gs, i notice green in it.
about a week afterwards i got my HDS, and my E1E build got neglected, and eventually sold...

Viper715

Enlightened
I like my three mode in a black E1E and E1B clip but do find myself wanting for a little more throw and less broad spill.

Maybe Steve's new designed head will bring us that. I can't wait till he completes it and starts selling them.