Al, please respond about the A2

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, you've seen one. There was a time when I was very impressed with the E2. Compared to my Surge, the E2 and 8AX, the only two Surefire lights I own are much more yellow in beam quality. I'm getting spoiled, I guess. To me the 60 lumen output of the A2 doesn't sound very impressive but is it very much so noticably more whiter then an E2? Not a little more white but quite a bit more? If so then the recent price drop announcement might swing me towards buying one. What is your opinion of beam quality compared to E2?

Brock

Flashaholic
I would have to say it is noticeably whiter, maybe not dramatically, but you can see it is whiter next to the E2. The A2 I have seen also had a tighter / rounder beam, sort of like you squished the E2 down a bit more to a point, but still had a very nice surround beam. The lamp is similar to the M series, it has just the lamp, with a tip on it and "smoked" tip to help even the beam out. I can't wait to get one to really test out.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting that sick feeling in my stomach when I think I am yet again going to spend money on an object I don't really need. I do use my E2 but find I'm replacing the batteries before they are dead because they start to dim more then I like. I don't really care about the LED part of the A2, I wish they would offer a strictly incandescent regulated light. Maybe if I get one and experience the two in combination I'll change my mind.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2 has changed a lot since the SS2002 so I can't comment on what the production A2 will be like. However, I believe it is the intention of SureFire to take incandescent light a leap further with the A2. Just when everyone else are playing catchup, SureFire push forward again. Even more then Brock, I can't wait for the up and coming SureFire new products.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Would the M2D in the catalog fill that requirement, and if so, is SF still developing it or planning to release it? Or is it just another vaporware light?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Size15s:
....Even more then Brock, I can't wait for the up and coming SureFire new products.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Al,

I'm eagerly awaiting the A2 and new SF products also, but I'm concerned that these innovative
lights will grow in size as they grow in options and complexity.

I would treasure a light slightly bigger than an E2, or even the size of a D2 that was a pure regulated incandescent.

Surefire's decision to avoid the integrated lamp/reflector approach for the E series helped to miniaturize those lights. Brock's observation of a similar approach in the A2 makes me hope that Surefire will eventually give us the option of a smaller product, a single function incandescent with a simple LOTC, rather than the bulky two-step necessitated by the A2's light combination.

A 45 minute constant brightness light the size of or even smaller than the 6P/D3, that burns at or near the intensity of the present 2x123 lights would be a wonderful EDC option, especially for those of us who treasure excellence in small packgages.

Brightnorm

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I searched around but couldn't find the info - does the A2 use the same lamps as the E1 and E2? It sounds and looks like it does and if so, will it be possible to put the 120 lumen lamp in or will the regulating circuits make that not viable?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by nybble:
Hello, I searched around but couldn't find the info - does the A2 use the same lamps as the E1 and E2? It sounds and looks like it does and if so, will it be possible to put the 120 lumen lamp in or will the regulating circuits make that not viable?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi, and welcome there is no 120 lumen lamp for any of the e series that I am aware of. There is one for the 6P, M2, G2 and G2Z but that would be much too large.
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Last I knew the A2 used a different lamp from the E series. It looked more like the lamp from the M series, just a lamp, with a pointy frosted tip.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2 is a new model.
The only part it shares with some other SureFires is the short PocketClip, oh, and it takes SF123As.
There is no Lamp Assembly interchangeability.

Al

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, thanks! I don't know what I was thinking, I had a momentary conflation of the E series and the 6P.
smile.gif
Wishful thinking, I suppose. Heh.