Any owners of both Fenix TK35 and TK41 discuss benefits and disadvantages of either?

hmm

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at both of these lights and there seems to be benefits and disadvantages of both. I am just trying to figure out which one is more comfortable to use regularly and has a better user experience. I know that the TK35 uses 18650, is lighter, has a clicky and is more compact. I know the TK41 uses AAs, is a much better thrower, has longer runtime and looks like regular, but intimidating flashlight.

TK41 seems to have better stats, but I've already read two posts elsewhere where owners of both, who have used it extensively, preferred the TK35 for daily use.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
When I take a simple walk (in the forest) I take the TK35, just because it comes with a holster. I do like the bigger size of the TK41. The TK41 throws further than the TK35, but the TK35 has a better 2nd ring around the beam. TK35 is cheaper than the TK41, so that's a + for the TK35.
Both are great, both I very love. So look what type of battery you want to use.

Richub

Enlightened
The main difference between these lights (besides the used batteries) is that the TK41 is a dedicated thrower. The TK35 is more of an 'allround' flaslight.

So if you just need an allround flaslight, the TK35 will suit that need. If you need to illuminate things at greater distances, then the TK41 would be a better choice.

TK41 seems to have better stats, but I've already read two posts elsewhere where owners of both, who have used it extensively, preferred the TK35 for daily use.
This is true, the TK41s very tight hotspot can blind you easily at short distances.
The TK35s hotspot is a lot 'easier on the eyes' at short distances.

grandoflex

Newly Enlightened
I bought a TK35, primarily to use for travel, in particular for spotlighting wildlife. Firstly it's a great light and, as described in detail elsewhere, a great mix of flood and throw. Thing is though, for my purposes the throw wasn't perhaps quite as good as I was hoping for (for instance I was using it to scan hillsides in Scotland for wildcats - something that was going to be a futile task at the best of times!).

For walking in woods etc though, the beam is great.

However, when the TK41 came out soon after I decided that I'd have to give it a go - based on the extended throw and runtimes, and, primarily for me, the fact that it runs on AAs (I was using CR123s in the 35, don't have 18650s).

The TK41 certainly does have a longer throw and slightly narrower beam profile. This throw I think suits wildlife watching. Runtimes-wise it's definitely a step up from the TK35, though the trade-off is the size difference. To be honest though, this doesn't bother me though as actually I find the TK41 easier to use due to the UI and switch position. It's also now easy for me to hold the TK41 under my binoculars to do long range spotlighting, which due to the shape of the 35 wasn't possible. The TK41 doesn't seem particularly heavy - it just won't go in a pocket unlike the TK35. The 41 also doesn't get as hot as the 35 in my opinion.

Anyway, both great lights, but for me the combination of factors detailed above meant that I've recently sold the TK35, as I couldn't see the need for it alongside the 41 (I'd probably rather have a good 2AA light to accompany the TK41 for backup). If you've got 18650s however, I think the 35 becomes a much more attractive option as a great compact multi-purpose light for travelling. I like the fact though that I can guilt-free use the 41 when I like knowing I can just charge the Eneloops again - rather than thinking that's another few quid needed for CR123s...

mdpvs7

Newly Enlightened
I had the exact same question as the original poster of this thread and came here from a "TK35 TK41" search - love the quality of Fenix lights and have been looking at both of these models. I'm still on the fence here... prefer 2x 18650's over 8x AA's, even if rechargeables used, but am really impressed with the TK41 beamshots and also prefer forward switch position lights. The TK35, as stated above, appears to be a really nice general-purpose light that would be a nice fit in a jacket pocket during winter dog walks and I already have a good stock of 18650's. I'll probably head for a TK35 first, as I have a number of other longer-throw lights, but may just end up with one of each in the long run...

bodhran

Enlightened
I guess that kind of sums it up. Do you need a good bright all around light or a dedicated thrower. I have the TK35 because it is a good all around light and will fit in a pocket.

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Battery difference aside I prefer my TK35. More compact and a more useable beam profile is what does it.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Apologies if innapropriate but I did not want to run a new thread so what about the Fenix TK-45 vs TK-41 as well?

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the TK35 battery holder will handle the Redilast 3100? Looking to get a TK35, I already have 2 panasonic NCR2900 in non-protected, but would prefer to use protected in series use.

Thanks, Martin

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if innapropriate but I did not want to run a new thread so what about the Fenix TK-45 vs TK-41 as well?

The TK45 is on the other extreme of the three lights. It is more of a floodlight than the TK35, which is more of a floodlight than the TK41. I like the TK45 for everything around the house and outside in a yard, but beyond that the TK35 and TK41 are nicer.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Both are great lights. I picked the TK35 due to its size and 18650 batteries. It still has plenty of throw, so don't think it falls short in that respect. I also prefer the size and feel of the 35.

darcyh

Newly Enlightened
I like them both very much and will be keeping them. I have to give a small edge to the TK35 because I am lazy. It's much easier to swap out two 18650 cells than eight AA ones.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
I have all of them: TK35, TRK41 and TK45. :)

My favorite of the three is hard to pick, it just depends on what I need a light for.

TK35: Great 'general purpose' light, and a nice pocket rocket. This one gives me the most "Oh, wow... :huh:" responses when I use it.

TK41: Great thrower, but a lot less useful on shorter distances. The hotspot is just too tight and bright compared to the spill to be useful in smaller area's.

TK45: Now this is a flooder pur sang. This is the light to use in small area's or in backyards and caving. At distances over 30-40 meters the beam quickly fades out.

Check this post for beamshots of these three lights, made by HKJ.

Last edited: