Detail in the 5W HD luxeon chip

PeterW

Enlightened
Here is a curiosity. I was looking into my 5W High dome with some solar eclipse specs I have and I noticed some detail in the emitter.

Everyone knows that a 5W is 4 1W emitters on the same chip, that is clearly visible as 4 little squares. But also each emitter square has a series of faint lines making it up. I have tried to capture these on my camera, but I am not sure how to put the photo on this forum.

I have looked at my 1W lowdome and there is no such detail present. Don't know what they are, but if you have any welding specs or eclipse glasses, then give it a go and see if you can see them too.

Please do NOT look into ANY luxeon (1W or 5W) without any protection, they will SERIOUSLY dazzle you and possibly lead to more serious damage (especially the high bin 5Wers).

PEterW

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
were you looking at a white luxeon?

all luxeons have the "strips", but the ld's still use the old phospher coating technique, which covers the die alot heavier than the hd's, se's, and 5watters, which is why you can't see the lines through it. it's also the reason ld's don't tend to be as bright and less white.

when looking at a colored emiter, they are very obvious, as the phosphor isn't covering them.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a similar thing by shining an L4 (die is visible with no optic) through a 10x eye loop. You can project the image of the 4 dies clearly when you shing the image against a white wall. I'll try to take photos and post it here. I thought I was the only weird one that was fascinated by this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterB

Enlightened
Probably I'm also weird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've also played some time with a magnifying lens to project all my lights to the wall...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
guys, you ARE weird!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

I swear I have never done this, never.
I just wait until the batteries are almost dead and look directly in the burning LED like a man ...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I also checked out my SureFire L4 with solar eclipse glasses on, so I guess I'm wierd too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder how welding goggles would work, hehe. Picture yourself wearing welding goggles looking into an L4. Just make sure no one's looking at ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just checked out my lit L4 through a standard music CD (Boston "Don't Look Back") and that worked well too.
Maybe a bit brighter than it was through eclipse glasses, but not so bright as to be uncomfortable.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
bring the voltage up real slow on an adjustable supply.
not only can you see the gridlines you can watch it light progressivly across the dies.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
You can see the "Caesar's Pizza Crazy Bread" design in the lower right corner of this pic:

5-watt-LX.jpg

But of course while looking into the Luxeon like that, I dare not turn it on...

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NightShift said:
I usually look at the luxeon dies through a (black) cd-r...it works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey thats pretty cool.......Should work with PS1 CD's too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a few pictures a couple of days ago, but was too busy to put them up until now.

This is a shot of the Surefire L4 shining through a CD-R disc. I was too excited to wipe off any fingerprints, so you might see some of those if you look hard enoegh.

Anyway...i was seeing spots after that photoshoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

faef840e.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here's a shot of the LED in the SureFire KL4 that I took through a Boston "Don't Look Back" audio CD:

kl4-6.jpg

I don't know what that circular thing is... maybe the lens I put in front of my camera... who knows...

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing the same thing...here's a shot of my Blaster IV's 5W HD thru crossed polarizers, and a projection from my new A2 Aviator:

5WHDprojection.jpg

A2projection.jpg

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was YC that did a BEAUTIFUL photo of a cyan 5w at very low output. Makes for a great desktop image.

Click the picture for a full size image.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought i was the only one doing whacked out stuff like this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i regularly use a magnifying glass to focus the beams of my lights onto a wall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif