2 x AA flashlight that also takes lithium AA's (not rechargeable)

slapper

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Is there any easy way of determining the above? The manufacturers websites often don't make it clear. I keep having to look up numbers like 14500 to find that this is a rechargeable battery. I'd have thought that if a light takes a rechargeable AA batt it should take a standard AA lithium one, too. Perhaps it's all in the chemistry.

There's all sorts of things I'd like in a flashlight but the heading stipulates the main one. Any advice on this would be welcome,

Napalm

Enlightened
There are two kinds of AA lithiums. One type is Energizer L91 batteries which output 1.5-1.7 volts. It's ok to use them in 2xAA lights. The other type is rechargeable/primaries such the '14500' you mentioned, which output 3.6 Volts. Put two of these in series in a 2AA light and you've got a pipe bomb.

Nap.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a blurb from a post I made in a different thread the other day. It might help explain batteries a bit:

-Alkaline - Typical AA cell you buy from the store. Energizer, Duracell etc. - 1.5 volts, non rechargeable.

-Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) - Rechargeable AA batteries - 1.2 volts. Historically high self discharge (short shelf life) but new Low Self Discharge models available (Eneloop etc...)

-Lithium - (often referred to here as primary cells) - This is the typical chemistry for a CR123 at 3 volts. AA cells are available in Lithium chemistry but typically at 1.5 volts. Non rechargeable.

-Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LiCo02) - often referred to here as just "Lithium Ion" batteries. These are rechargeable cells available in 14500 (AA) and 16340 (CR123) size. Both at 4.2 volts (nominal).

-Lithium Manganese (Li-Mn02) - often referred to here as "IMR" cells. Rechargeable cells available in 14500 and 16340 at 4.2 volts. Intrinsically safer than above LiCo02 cells (allow higher discharge rate) but typically reduced capacity.

The non-rechargeable lithium cells in AA size are those like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. You should able to use these in any flashlight that takes 2 "normal" alkaline AA cells. On the other hand, if you want to use 2 x Lithium Ion rechargeable cells (8.4 volts in series) you will need to find a light with a driver capable of handling that much voltage. One option is a Solarforce L2r with any one of the high voltage Solarforce drop ins.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We use 14500s to push very high output lights as hard as they will go; in a 1xAA light, this means several hundred lumens and the ability to burn your hand after a minute or so - leaving it on unattended will result in smoke pouring out of the LED/electronics with the death of one or both, plus the possibility of the battery explosively venting toxic gas with a jet-like flame. Definitely not recommended for beginners, but those who are responsible and know what they're doing get a big reward, sort of like a very powerful sports car that allows you to turn off the traction control.

Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are just high-capacity "normal" batteries with excellent shelf life; you can use these in anything that accepts AA batteries with no precautions or ill effects. Ideally they should be used in a medium or high drain application, or in an device that is very infrequently used, as they provide no advantages over other battery types in low-drain use.

pobox1475

Enlightened
W
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are just high-capacity "normal" batteries with excellent shelf life; you can use these in anything that accepts AA batteries with no precautions or ill effects. Ideally they should be used in a medium or high drain application, or in an device that is very infrequently used, as they provide no advantages over other battery types in low-drain use.
And about the best cold condition performance you can get. Great to keep a pack in glovebox in cooler climates. Other than that IMO not worth burning the extra money. Eneloops make more sense for EDC to me.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend two lights for you that take standard AA batteries - Quark AA2 or Fenix LD20

Both of these lights are among my favorite 2 x AA lights, and run great on two alkaline AA's or two lithium AA's or 2 NiMH rechargeable AA's (like eneloops.) You cannot use two Li-ion rechargeables in either of these lights as the higher voltage would be too much.

These are the lights that I give away as gifts most often because they are perfect for general use with a great balance between throw & flood. They also are incredibly bright, have lots of output options (low, med, high, blinky, etc,) are small & lightweight, and they always blow away non-flashaholics. In fact, I feel these lights are the best "all-around" lights. I have a friend that is going on a mission trip next month, and I just gave him a Quark AA2 and a bunch of energizer lithium AA batteries (because these batteries have huge capacity compared to alkalines.) If my friend runs out of batteries there's a good chance he can get his hands on some AA's even in a third world country or from friends that he's going with. AA batteries are everywhere, and these lights perform incredibly well with any type of AA.

Check out both of these lights at either 4sevens' website or goinggear's website.

slapper

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys. Now I've got it. I can see that it is the L91 battery that I need. They'll be in torches which will only get occasional use but will have to be ready to shine when needed.

Thank you Outdoorsman5 for your suggestions. You've put your finger right where it needed to be. I'll buy one of the lights you mention and think of you all when they arrive.

Best wishes,

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thank you guys. Now I've got it. I can see that it is the L91 battery that I need. They'll be in torches which will only get occasional use but will have to be ready to shine when needed.

Thank you Outdoorsman5 for your suggestions. You've put your finger right where it needed to be. I'll buy one of the lights you mention and think of you all when they arrive.

Best wishes,

For occasional use LSD (Low Self Discharge) Nimh AAs (eneloops, et all) are a good alternative. They can keep 80%+ of their charge after 1 year and are able to drive high current loads well also. There are some lights that if you use 2 L91 Lithiums the lower modes don't work properly till the battery voltage drops some as lithium primaries start out at 1.7-1.8v when new instead of 1.5-1.6v alkalines have and 1.3-1.4v+ that nimh are fresh off the charger.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though the Energizer lithium is a direct replacement for AA batteries and will not harm any device, it will cause certain light to act funny. The Fenix LD20 and LD25 for example will loose low mode (and sometimes medium) for a while until the batteries are drained.

slapper

Newly Enlightened
Hi again,

Well, you've given me something to think about. I didn't anticipate getting a batt re-charging system going but I can now see the advantage. I don't want to lose any low modes at all.

Thanks fellas.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hi again,

Well, you've given me something to think about. I didn't anticipate getting a batt re-charging system going but I can now see the advantage. I don't want to lose any low modes at all.

Thanks fellas.
I would just research lights you are interested in keeping in mind the battery runtimes at the output levels you would be using. Eneloops are front and center of many heavy high output light users arsenal because the brighter lights can eat up even a lithium AA in 3 hours or less. If you run a light twice a week at that rate in a month you could use up $40 worth of batteries which would buy a smart charger and 4-8 eneloops which means the next month it only costs you electricity at a fraction of a cent per battery to recharge.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on rechargeable batteries (especially eneloops.) When I started out in this hobby I resisted getting rechargeble batteries for a while. I found that I didn't run my lights nearly as much because I didn't want to run my non-rechargeable batteries down. When I finally bought some eneloops & then later bought some Li-ion rechargeables (for some high powered lights) it changed everything. It's called "guilt-free lumens," and I now recognize that I'm saving a lot of money by using these incredible rechargeables. In fact, everything in my house that takes batteries has eneloops in it (clocks, toys, games, remotes, etc.) Because of their Low Self Discharge (LSD) the eneloops are the best of the best. If you ever move on to higer powered lights you'll want to consider Li-ion rechargeables.

pobox1475

Enlightened
+1 on rechargeable batteries (especially eneloops.) It's called "guilt-free lumens," and I now recognize that I'm saving a lot of money by using these incredible rechargeables. In fact, everything in my house that takes batteries has eneloops in it (clocks, toys, games, remotes, etc.) Because of their Low Self Discharge (LSD) the eneloops are the best of the best. If you ever move on to higer powered lights you'll want to consider Li-ion rechargeables.
What seals the deal for me is as long as I keep them charged (usually topped in carry lights) there will never be a moment where I need illumination badly (an emergency) and cell is depleted.