POTUS visit to Cree, inc in NC...Flashlight History

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Did anyone notice that the President of the United States visited Cree, Inc. in Durham, NC on Monday June 13 2011?

President Obama delivered remarks, and toured the plant. Also, there was a meeting of the Jobs and Competitiveness Council which was held at the Cree, Inc headquarters.

You may be able to catch it on C-Span.

I have a copy of the speech, council remarks, and background of the President's trip to Cree, if anyone would like me to post it. Politics aside, this is part of the history of the equipment we all like, and use.

This is the second visit President Obama has made to Cree, Inc. He had a campaign stop there at some point during his run for office.

If I had not been on a major corporate shoot, I would have traveled to NC and covered the event.

Best,

Ned Redway

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty cool! I would like to hear more about it.

purelite

Enlightened
Maybe there is hope for us. It would be really cool if the Feds dropped GE like an old girlfriend and started courting the real future of lighting . I would love to see GE go down in flames. The whole CFL scam that has been put on our backs is one of the worst screwjobs in US history. It's never good when a major corporation gets in bed with the gov't but at least with Creewe would have better products that actually work

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This happened just down the road (maybe 20 miles) from here. I think POTUS had been there before. I kept looking for Air Force 1 to pass overhead, but no luck. Now Cree needs to increase manufacturing here, instead of China.

Geoff

Sector7

Enlightened
I heard a blurb about the visit, Cree took Stimulus funds and the fact that half of Cree's jobs are in China.

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
Oh, great. Another sector of our economy our President wants to destroy/co-opt. He really needs to get the hell out of the way of American industry. Government intervention destroys innovation.

broonzbane

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, great. Another sector of our economy our President wants to destroy/co-opt. He really needs to get the hell out of the way of American industry. Government intervention destroys innovation.

broonzbane

Would that be 'innovation' such as Microsoft's blatant plagiarism of Google's search results? Or their predatory licensing practices that forced computer OEM's to install Explorer as the default browser on their systems, or prevent them from offering Linux OS's on other models of computer?

Stifling innovation... yeah, that's a good one...

pulstar

Enlightened
How innovative would GM, Chrysler, and many other be without gov. interventions? But i agree, government literally ruined many companies here in our country, since they haven't sold our state-owned companies when our country gained independence and began transition to capitalist economic system. Then they started to give the leading positions in companies to the people, connected with current "ruling" position with no knowledge and ability to lead the company in the competitive capitalist market. When the opposition won the elections, they simply replaced all CEO's and managing boards with "politically correct", obeying persons... And after 4 years, everything repeats. It's like a magic circle with no way out:(
Government should only help when the economy is almost dead, otherwise they sholdn't interfiere.
BTW, GE means General Electric? What is that all about?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

broonzbane

Guy's Please...

I Don't want to this to go to debate form. I just wanted to post what is a most historic event for an industry. A presidential visit is a huge thing, and wanted to share it with the forum since all of us have a Cree LED.

And, I do understand all the frustrations we have with governments at every level, however, this post is simply about informing the forum of the Trip of the President to Cree, Inc.

Again, I wish I could have covered this to post some photos. I could call the WH Photo Office, and get some official hand out's or get them from pool outlets?

Thank you,

NR,
Your Pooler...

Last edited: