Worth it to save a 4D Maglite?

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I just inherited one of those huge 4xD Maglites. The reason I inherited it is because the batteries inside leaked and the thing is corroded something fierce. Aside from the impressive size, now that I'm into flashlights I figure there isn't anything else too impressive about a 4xD Maglite. Is it worth trying to get the corrosion out? Can the light be modded to run as efficiently as a high end light?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they cost about $15 and now have the better deep "rebel" reflector, I personally would not bother to clean it out. That said, yes, a Mag can be modded to be better than a high end light. I have a couple Lambda lights modded Maglites and they are both brighter and throw farther than most any high end light and they have 35 brightness levels to boot. One is 2100 OTF lumens and the other is 1100 OTF lumens. Those are real measurements, not just some made up number. The one I have with an XML out throws my EagleTac M3C4 XML and Catapult V3 XML and is brighter than both.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the corrosion is really bad it may not be worth it as 4D incans are not terribly expensive.There are some worthwhile LED drop-ins available for the large Mags so I think they can still be usefull.Either way I would save the head if that part is not corroded it can provide spare parts for other D-cell Mags.