Hello - I would be grateful for opinion on some stuff i bought when drunk

FreeMagenta

Newly Enlightened
Hello for everyone. I hope I am not breaking any rules, but if I happen so, then apologies in advance. Also, since English isn't my native language, please don't get angry over grammar/spelling mistakes. Believe me, I am trying not to make any... Few days ago, I got some extra money, got drunk a little and my Paypal finger itched too much. Combine this with the fact that my UF WF606-A broken and you can imagine what happened later.
So I have ended with following:
UF-980L
TrustFire 2400 mAH protected 18650
XTAR WP2 Charger
and finally... AW 18650/2900 Lithium Cobalt
When I got sober, I am beginning to wonder if the charger and cheaper batteries choice was right. I have heard much good things about the charger, but also some stories of UF batteries exploding (though most of those stories were about 3000 mAh ones). Can I ask for an opinion for those? I plan to use AW batteries mostly, putting TrustFire ones only in emergency (long blackout for instance).
Thanks in advance .

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a saying that God protects fools and drunks. Hopefully you're not a fool! Good luck!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
The trustfires (red and black, flames?) are ok. Plenty on here use them. Ive never seen one involved in an explosion yet..
I did receive a couple of dodgy ones a while back though came at 0v.

moderator007

Enlightened
UF-980L looks like a nice light. I would have preferred a current regulated driver though. Reviewer says it direct drive. Specifications doesnt say what current it runs at. That would led me to believe it is direct drive. One reviewer says over 4 amps. It should be very bright.
The trustfire you linked are one of the best china batterys. I have used several with good results so far.
When you start charging with a new charger always monitor the voltage when it gets close to the 4.2v. To make sure the charger is cutting off at 4.2v. When it is finnished charging check your battery voltage it should not go over 4.2v. If its a little under or dead on its doing fine.

FreeMagenta

Newly Enlightened
Thank you again for all the help. I am wondering about cutoff voltage for the charger - I have a multimeter, but according to its specifications, AC voltage is measured with accuracy +/- 0.8%. As I have read, the difference between 4.17V and 4.23V cutoff voltage can be significant... I am ok with slight undercharging - if I am not using double battery configuration it may even extend battery lifespan - but should I try to borrow better multimeter? About UF-980L - I have heard that batteries capable of higher current (IMR) can destroy the light completly. Well, I hope that won;t happen i my case (since I am using LiCo instead).

moderator007

Enlightened
Hi FreeMgegenta,
I did not mean to scary you about the cutt-off voltage of the charger. It should cutt-off at 4.2v as stated on the site. Just monitor it the first time you use it to make sure. If it cutts off at 4.21v it should be fine but life will be slightly less. If it cutts off a little early that would be fine also as there is very little going to be added to the battery to get to 4.2v. The charger you bought appears to have individual charging circuits. Allowing you to charge both batterys at the same time with out worry. Most multimeters will be accurate enough for this. I have a 2 harbor frieght multimeters that measure almost exactly the same as my more exspensive one. If you are concerned, try it agaisnt a know accurate meter. If its off then you'll know how much and you can adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

FreeMagenta

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it was misstype :) The charger from QualityChinaGoods shipped on June, 15th arrived today; I didn't test it yet (still don't have any batteries). Batteries from Team Oveready shipped on June, 14th still didn't arrive (funny that free shipment from China is faster than USPS) DX package was shipped on Monday, let's see how fast it will come. Manafont - still didn't ship yet... they're really slow I guess.
. About direct-driven diode I am thinking about some simple current - limiting circuit in the flashlight (later though after I get some experience in both theoretical and practical electronics) - has anyone tried to add even simplest (like transistor + 2 resistors) current limiting?

moderator007

Enlightened
About direct-driven diode I am thinking about some simple current - limiting circuit in the flashlight (later though after I get some experience in both theoretical and practical electronics) - has anyone tried to add even simplest (like transistor + 2 resistors) current limiting?

Probably the simplest would be to use the 8-7135's 3-mode shiningbeam driver. He seems to be out right now. Here's one from KD. There are other people that sell these also. Do a search. I think the driver should fit with very little modification. KD's is a 5-mode driver with the annoying strobes. But you can change the modes to 3. Read down the page at kd, one of the reviewers tells you how.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
the XTAR-WP2 charger usually terminates charging a bit early. cells come out of my WP2 at about 4.14 and drop to 4.12 after about 30 minutes :)

this is quite beneficial for battery lifespan but moderately detrimental for runtime...

FreeMagenta

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a better multimeter (most cheap multimeters have at least +/- 0.03V) - checking in progress.
BTW - about UF-980L, I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order, because while I am waiting for ManaFont shipping it, all my other orders (QFG, DX and Oveready) have already arrived...