Overwhelmed with information, quick battery/safety question.

brembo

Enlightened
Alright here goes:

I want an EDC light. For whatever reason the ThruNite Neutron 1C and the ShiningBeam S-Mini Neutral White "do it" for me. Both accept Cr123s.

I can't find anything concrete that states that I can pop RCR123 into these lights. I am also unclear as to if protected cells are needed or will even fit. CPF is a wonderful resource but sort of like trying to drink from a fire hose, I just get inundated with information.

I'd like to know these things:
Can I use RCR123 cells?
SHOULD I use RCR cells?

Thanks for the help.

Also, if I have missed some new hotness that just came along in the sub 4.5 inch realm, please let me know. Budget ~100 bucks(torch alone).

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Always remember that rechargeable RCR's are a higher nominal voltage.

RCR123 = 4.2V
CR123 = 3.0V

Check any light's voltage to see what it can handle. That is your only way of knowing if your light will go "poof" or not.

You should also familiarize yourself with the "special" care that RCR123's require with regards to safe and proper charging.

brembo

Enlightened
Check out Selfbuilt's review on the 1C:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311559-Thrunite-Neutron-Series-%28XM-L%29-1C-2C-1A-2A-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

The voltage range on the 1C goes up to 4.2V, so RCRs should be fine.

Plenty of information on Li-Ion safety in the Batteries subforum.

Heh, I was already in that thread. Found the RCR info for the ThruNite. Trying to track down some solid ShiningBeam info. Dunno why I am so hung up on rechargeable power. Must be my years of R/C car addiction.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to use rechargeable cells because they provide "guilt free lumens." I wouldn't use my lights as often and I would never "play" with them if I just kept burning through primary 123s, AAs, and AAAs. If you go the RCR123 route I recommend getting a cheap voltage meter, AW cells, and do some research about chargers (I use the pila charger). I looked at the shining beam and that light can use an 18650 cell or 2 RCR123s, the 18650 will give you around twice the runtime of 2 RCR123s (if you get a 2900mah cell). Li-ion cells require a little more care and safety than NiMH or other chemistries, so I would get protected cells (AW) and do a little bit of research.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things.

1) rcr123a LiCo cells have a nominal voltage of 3.7V. 4.2V is the initial voltage off the charger. Still, you need to make sure a light can handle 4.2V
2) If you use LiCo cells, you really want them to be protected
3) These XML lights are putting out some good lumens. I don't know what the amperage draw is on the lights in question but you may need an IMR rechargeable cell (LiMn, still 4.2V) as it can handle the extra draw.
4) rcr123a LiCo cells have a lower capactiy than primary cr123a so you will get less run time (if that is important to you). IMR (LiMn) cells again have a lower capacity than LiCo cells.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy brembo and welcome to CPF,
It's funny that you would ask, as I spent a lot of time last night reading the original sales thread for the Shining Beam S-Mini:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...***-ShiningBeam-S-mini-XP-G-R5-LED-Flashlight

What a neat little light. You're best bet would probably be to contact Bryan at ShiningBeam with your question, however, from my read last night I remember your question coming up, and he said that the RCR123 cells were NOT recommended for the S-Mini, even though the voltage is within-spec.

I think the reason was that it just gets too hot.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There's always the much simpler and cheaper option of getting a 1xAA light and running it on common Eneloops. Much better runtime and no safety concerns.

brembo

Enlightened
Thanks for the help folks. Still on the fence as to which torch. The S Mini will take 18650s, which is a plus in that I have plenty of those. However it is bigger(than the Neutron) and I want to keep this purchase small as possible with max light potential. The Neutron can really become a flamethrower(for it's size) when needed and it's so dang small...but no 18650 option. Both lights can handle premium rechargeable Li-Ion cells of some nature....gahhh. Probably end up with both, dammit. Back to the Mega EDC thread I go. :)

Oh, I also did a very, very dumb thing and followed a link about the HDS Executive. Man alive is that little guy a nice unit. Output is a tad bit low compared to the S-Mini and the Neutron, but cripes is it well designed and built.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help folks. Still on the fence as to which torch. The S Mini will take 18650s, which is a plus in that I have plenty of those. However it is bigger(than the Neutron) and I want to keep this purchase small as possible with max light potential. The Neutron can really become a flamethrower(for it's size) when needed and it's so dang small...but no 18650 option. Both lights can handle premium rechargeable Li-Ion cells of some nature....gahhh. Probably end up with both, dammit. Back to the Mega EDC thread I go. :)

Oh, I also did a very, very dumb thing and followed a link about the HDS Executive. Man alive is that little guy a nice unit. Output is a tad bit low compared to the S-Mini and the Neutron, but cripes is it well designed and built.

If you can afford to go with the HDS you will own a fantastic, top of the line light. I have a 200 rotary and love it, the clickies are great as well. There might be a high CRI released in a few months if you are into that, but there is no release date at the moment.

brembo

Enlightened
Well, after sleeping on the choices I finally decided to go with the ShiningBeam Mini. I already have 18650s (but that didn't stop me from ordering 3 more AW 2200mah cells). What really had me hung up was the form factor of the two lights.

Neutron=3.5 inches. TINY.
ShiningBeam Mini= 4.48 inches. Still small enough to drop in a pocket.

Then I looked at the prices, the Mini is a screaming deal, the Neutron us a deal as well. So:

Neutron=60 bucks
Mini: 44 bucks....advantage Mini

In the end the 18650 ability of the Mini won me over. Already have em so no new charger(s) needed. Took the extra cashola and bought AW cells. :thumbsup:

I cut an old broom handle to the lengths of the products and stuck those in pockets, cup holders...places I'd likely use/carry and that helped a ton in my decision.

This hobby is going to slap my bank account around like a red-headed stepchild.