Please Help Me Understand the Operating Differences Between the HDS Clicky and Rotary

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
I've been perusing the forums and Henry's website, but I can't get a good sense of how the controls differ between the two models. :confused:

Can anyone point me to posting that does, or summarize it for me?

Cheers!

GR

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Essentially both are the same, except with the rotary you can program one of the modes to allow you to control the brightness by rotating the tailcap.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Essentially both are the same, except with the rotary you can program one of the modes to allow you to control the brightness by rotating the tailcap.

Thank you, Moonshadow. This makes it a lot more clear to me.

And with the rotary control, it commands the full range from min to max in all the steps?

I take it the rotary mode would typically be the starting mode?

Cheers!

GR

Last edited:

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. There are videos on YouTube revealing all these answers! Ah, the marvels of modern tech! :)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and really use the rotary more. It is simple. I have the 170 clicky, the high CRI, and the rotary. I like the UI of the rotary. The other two lights are superior to most single cell flashlights. You can't go wrong with any of them.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, HotWire. I ordered a Rotary last night. It will be my first HDS, so I will be watching the mailbox closely!

I plan to order a high CRI when they are back in stock, too. I've never had a high CRI light, either.

Teknyc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, HotWire. I ordered a Rotary last night. It will be my first HDS, so I will be watching the mailbox closely!

I plan to order a high CRI when they are back in stock, too. I've never had a high CRI light, either.
Don't watch too closely, it takes about a month for them to put it together and send it. Still waiting on mine.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Don't watch too closely, it takes about a month for them to put it together and send it. Still waiting on mine.

Urgh! I will go nuts waiting that long! Guess I better peruse the bst forum for something to tide me over!

I'm actually waiting on five different lights right now. I explain it off as therapy for the stressful job! :)

tolkaze

Enlightened
Arrgh, i'm in the same boat right now. While waiting for lights, I keep browsing the marketplace and keep buying lights. Then i will feel guilty and sell some of my better lights to break even, then I end up with a collection of less than desirable lights :(