Is now the time to buy Surefire?

Strut

Newly Enlightened
Just getting started in the hobby, and from what I've been hearing a 6P or C2 is the way to go, if I want to get a good "starter" flashlight for modding.

But with SF discontinuing a significant portion of their lights, is now a good time to buy one? How will this affect the market for parts (drop-ins, tailcaps, etc)? Should I grab a 6P now while they are still around and on sale, and hope aftermarket parts keep coming around, should I wait and see what new goodies SF has in store for us, or should I be looking at a different brand entirely?

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Due to the immense popularity of Surefire's P60 based lights, not to mention their Chinese clones, I don't foresee the aftermarket availability of parts and dropins diminishing. If anything, I think the market will continue to expand, as it has over the past years. In your position, I would take advantage of one of the numerous closeout sales by Surefire vendors and purchase a P60 compatible light; it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Once these lights have sold out, their prices on CPFMP, ebay, etc. will only increase. Part of the fun of being a flashaholic is experimenting with the modular characteristic of the Surefire incans. The era of Surefire's user serviceable flashlights is no doubt drawing to a close, so go ahead and grab a 6P while they're still easily procurable. The 6P hasn't been listed as discontinued yet, but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. Whatever new lights Surefire releases will most certainly not be as easily modded as their current offerings (think LED lights with sealed heads).

Oh, and :welcome:

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
now's definitely the time to buy if you want Surefire lights that are being discontinued, such as the P-series, C-series, the incandescent E-series or an incan. Aviator (which have actually been discontinued for quite some time and are getting hard to find)

otherwise, i'd propose waiting a few months to see what new stuff Surefire brings to the table.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say pass on Surefire 6P since it is only built for the lower end of the Surefire line. There are too many good aftermarket products that will be better to buy.