dad wants a light!!! i'm thinking of getting him a p100a2 ????

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
is this a good light? he only would use standard batteries.

2 or 4 aa's is what he wants.

where's a good place to buy this light? and would a set of lithium batteries to start him off be bettter?

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
the ld40 looks good to for around $65.00

can these lights work on rechargable batteries?...what are they 1.3v???....

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
grass disaster said:

where's a good place to buy this light? and would a set of lithium batteries to start him off be bettter?

Call Marshall at going gear.com. He has most everything. I personally use a Fenix ld-20 which is two aa. I also have a quark that I really like. There are other people here more knowledgable than me.

Napalm

Enlightened

Nice light. There are several places to get it from - Illumination Gear, Battery Junction, Going Gear to name just a few.

Nap.

motherfletcher

Newly Enlightened
I've had experience ordering from Illumination Gear. Tod will answer any questions you've got.
An alternative is the Fenix E21. Pretty much same light, lower max mode but longer runtime on it. Looks more solid too

Depending on how your dad wants to run his lights, you may think about getting him a pair of Eneloops! Performance wise, can't beat lithiums though.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given my dad three lights over the last year: iTP SA1 and A3 EOS, and a neutral white EagleTac P100A2. He really loved the SA1. He lost over this past mother's day and was a bit bummed. After awhile he began to use the EagleTac. I recently tried to give him my ZebraLight SC51 to replace the SA1 but he wouldn't take it. Says he prefers the tight spot of the P100A2 to the flood of the ZL. He doesn't even touch the A3 EPS heh.

Can't go wrong with the P100A2 for a 2xAA light. Tod @ illuminationgear is good people.

If going the 4xA route look at the Fenix LD40 or Sunwayman M40a.

Let us know what you get and what he thinks!

Lighteous

Enlightened
The P100A2 is a very nice light and reasonably priced. It's my best AA thrower! $39 at EagleTac-USA.com.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

the ld40 looks good to for around $65.00

can these lights work on rechargable batteries?...what are they 1.3v???....

The P100A2 is a nice light and so is the LD40. The LD40 is a little more powerfull and will throw farther but of course it is larger and uses 4 AA batteries as opposed to 2. Both are great choices. Both will run on rechargeable AA batteries. Get the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries because they don't self discharge like other rechargeable batteries so your light will work even after it has been on the shelf for one year.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light, but if you are not lucky; you might get one with a slightly dark void in the center of the hotspot. If he used a maglite before and didn't complaint; he'll be fine with the P100a2. Great thrower and very simple 2 modes UI. He'll love it!

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
bought off ebay the p100a2 for $39 and 8 pack of tithiums for $12.61. all shipping out of the usa

my first nice light purchase.....to bad it isnt for me!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
This thread gave me a good idea to get my dad a P100A2 as well. I love the beam profile on this thing(and throw too). It is my favorite light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I honestly think most XPE lights are going to give him the tight throw beam he likes. I have 3 XPE lights and they all have very tight beams for such small shallow reflectors.

You might also want to consider the Fenix E21. Its a very tight beam for such a small light, throws tighter than the P100C2 shown below. I measured the E21 in bigchelis' sphere last night and it did 210L OTF. It takes a good 6-7 minutes to warm up so lumen output should be pretty stable for a short while. So factoring in thermal warming, I would say its a conservative ~150 Lumens OTF with Eneloops. It should also be noted that it needs Eneloops to get the most out of it, Alkalines sag too much and can't keep up with the current draw.

It doesn't really have low mode though, low is around ~70 lumens (ballpark), and its a bezel twist mode selection.

$27 at REI with a %15 discount coupon.... good value IMHO.

dscn6678.jpg

dscn6670u.jpg

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
too late now I know, but I was going to say if he liked the sa1 so much why not an sa2?

nowa

Newly Enlightened
(+1) on the e21 as a fathers day gift! same place too. but i just missed the 15% off deal.. dang nabbit.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
too late now I know, but I was going to say if he liked the sa1 so much why not an sa2?
Do you mean me or the OP? If me, I had bought my dad the P100A2 after the SA1 in neutral white as I thought he might like to have more throw and color rendering for out around the house.

At first the P100A2 sat inside unused. His reason being he preferred the cool white of the SA1. Once that was lost I offered to buy him a replacement and he turned that down saying I had already bought him a lot of lights (just the 3 so far). I offered him my SC51 and he turned also it down saying he had the other two (P100A2 and A3 EOS). Because of that he began to force himself to use the P100A2, and now he loves it. I've since made him the offer, or just flat out left the SC51 with him, to give him back that light in a smaller size, and he won't accept it.

If it wasn't for the P100A2 I would have considered the SA2. :)