Eagletac P20A2 MKII with new XML - 360 lumens

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Not really a review but another member and myself have recently bought one. You can check out post #11 here for my quick opinion. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ding-the-money-Will-there-be-a-big-difference

If you have any other questions I'll try and help but I'm new to LED lights.

Here are a couple of beamshots. They were taken with a Kodak 7.2MP point and shoot in ISO mode but they look close to what I see. I was using 2 Eneloops and the shots were in general and turbo modes. The kitchen wall is at about 13', the tv at 25' and the door at 31'.

GeneralEneloopXML.jpg
TurboEneloop.jpg

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened
Thanks balloon, I don't want to hijack that guy's thread so I'll ask you here.

balloonshark said:
I read about the P20C2 MKII XM-L not having the tactical strobe mode but was thrilled when I found that our model still had the feature. It does negate the momentary on/off of the light though. Overall I'm very happy with the light but it would be nice to switch modes from the high position without needing to switch it into general/medium pause and then fast twist into the other modes. I guess the solution is just to keep the light in general/med. mode before you turn it on which as it would give you the most options.

Is there a problem with the momentary on? I had a light that took about ~.5 second delay from the time I hit the switch to the time light outputted, is this the same problem you're encountering?

Also, how's the 360 lumen turbo? :p

edit: Wow nice pictures! Is the second pic the 3 minute Turbo Boost or the standard Turbo?

Last edited:

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
The momentary works fine but if you activate the tactical strobe mode, momentary won't work as every other button press activates the strobe. The tactical strobe mode is disabled by default so your good to go. Tactical strobe mode can be turned on or off by pressing the switch 15 times within 10 seconds. The same step can de-activate it. Either way strobe can still be activated in the normal manner.

The 2nd pic is the turbo boost mode :). And to be honest, I think my Eneloops are almost dead so I hope it's the turbo boost mode in the pic and not just regular high mode. Either way there is not much difference visually. I only wish I had a better camera and the knowledge to take good beamshots.

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
What's the OTF lumens?

aimxplode

Enlightened

This light looks amazing to use with NiMHs, but they are always sold out!! Do you know if the advertised lumen rating is at the emitter or OTF?

Li-ion isn't for everyone...

This. I cower at the thought of exploding batteries and all the precautions that come with Li-ions. The closest I play with danger is single cell CR123A lights (love my rrt-0). Also, thanks for the beamshots!

The momentary works fine but if you activate the tactical strobe mode, momentary won't work as every other button press activates the strobe. The tactical strobe mode is disabled by default so your good to go. Tactical strobe mode can be turned on or off by pressing the switch 15 times within 10 seconds. The same step can de-activate it. Either way strobe can still be activated in the normal manner.

The 2nd pic is the turbo boost mode :). And to be honest, I think my Eneloops are almost dead so I hope it's the turbo boost mode in the pic and not just regular high mode. Either way there is not much difference visually.

Great to hear. I always thought strobe is awesome, but to be honest, I rarely have a practical use for it. It is good to hear that it is available though. Ever since I got my Jetbeam BA20, proper momentary on is a must.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This light looks amazing to use with NiMHs, but they are always sold out!! Do you know if the advertised lumen rating is at the emitter or OTF?

It certainly looks OTF to me, though if you're not into Li-ions, "don't try this at home," as they say. But its performance on NiMHs is right on par with the performance of recent Li-ion powered 1xAAs, so I'd still recommend it if you want the awesome output on safe batteries.

Also, as long as you're using one of the preferred/known brands of 123 cells, your 1x123 light is entirely safe.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ever used a laptop or cell phone, then you are using Li-ion batteries. You need to stop using those if you cower at Li-ion batteries. Also there have been explosions with off brand cr123 batteries.
Li-ions are safe as long as you are careful.

This. I cower at the thought of exploding batteries and all the precautions that come with Li-ions. The closest I play with danger is single cell CR123A lights (love my rrt-0). Also, thanks for the beamshots!

Great to hear. I always thought strobe is awesome, but to be honest, I rarely have a practical use for it. It is good to hear that it is available though. Ever since I got my Jetbeam BA20, proper momentary on is a must.

motherfletcher

Newly Enlightened
Is there a problem with the momentary on? I had a light that took about ~.5 second delay from the time I hit the switch to the time light outputted, is this the same problem you're encountering?

This is normal. I have the XP-G R5 module in mine. I forgot the explanation behind it, but it's designed that way with all P20A2 and P20C2 MkII lights

aimxplode

Enlightened
If you ever used a laptop or cell phone, then you are using Li-ion batteries. You need to stop using those if you cower at Li-ion batteries. Also there have been explosions with off brand cr123 batteries.
Li-ions are safe as long as you are careful.

I completely disagree with your rationalization. Li-ion cells in laptops and cellphones are specifically manufactured and tested for said devices to make it safe to use without fiddling with it, ie checking voltage before using. Do you disconnect your laptop battery, monitor its charge, and hook it up to a voltmeter prior to use? No. While Li-ion cells are safe with proper precaution, I am way more comfortable avoiding all the hassle. I strongly prefer avoiding Li-ions and only use U.S. made CR123A's, NiMHs, and Energizer lithium primaries.

This is normal. I have the XP-G R5 module in mine. I forgot the explanation behind it, but it's designed that way with all P20A2 and P20C2 MkII lights
Hmm, seems odd, my first RRT-0 was like that too. Other than that, how do you like your light?

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
360 lumens: Emitter or otf?

motherfletcher

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, seems odd, my first RRT-0 was like that too. Other than that, how do you like your light?

Overall, I think its a great light. The beam pattern is probably my favourite thing about this flashlight. Obviouly you'll get a slightly different beam pattern due to the emitter though. Its my only light with a stainless steel bezel and I think it looks awesome. Great UI, well spaced Hi-Med-Lo. I wish Lo was accessable from off, but there are very few instances where I actually NEED that feature. The tailcap switch feels good to activate too - its not too soft. I prefer the stiffer switches.
The overall appearance of the light is my only problem. It looks very top heavy. Would have been okay if it weren't for the narrow part just before the tailcap.

Aesthetics plays a major part in how much I like a flashlight. Whether it feels good in the hand or its nice to look at, the more I like it the more I'll use it. Main reason why it stays in the bag or at home. Performance wise, its awesome and I'm sure the XM-L module will impress you

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I recently upgraded my P20C2 with an XM-L module from IlluminationGear, and it is astonishing. Immensely bright and a clear pure white beam.

My original XP-G had this delay as well, and yes, it was really annoying. I'm very pleased to report that the XM-L module is much better. There is still a very slight delay on general, but not so's you would notice. A massive improvement all round.

As others have said, it would be nice if there were a way for it to remember the low setting. I always like a light to switch back on at the same level.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Here is more info taken from lightjuction. It also includes ANSI lumen numbers. The last number is the turbo boost lumens that lasts 3 min. before going into normal turbo which is the 2nd to last number. The turbo boost in limited to 3 minutes to preserve battery life.

The updated P20A2 MKII Cree XM-L version has siginificant performance improvements over the original model. It offers an incredible 360 lumens with 272 ANSI lumens. P20A2 Mark II offers a new UI (user interface) that is perfect for profesionals and the general public.
Features:

• Upgraded C1500 (C2 XPG), C2100 (C2 XML) and A900 (A2) circuit with turbo boost output technology for more output
  • New rear switch mechanism and tail boot
  • Detachable stainless steel clip with durable titanium coating secured by a clip ring
  • Revised user interface (refer to operations below)
  • Three levels output, activate by twisting bezel
  • Three hidden modes (strobe, beacon, SOS), activated by twisting bezel
  • Optional tactical strobe mode (disabled from factory). When enabled, operate by pressing rear switch twice – This feature is not available on the P20C2 MKII XM-L now
  • Stainless steel bezel
  • Syntax ultra-clear glass lens w/ harden and AR coating
  • Type III finish / aerospace tough aluminum
  • Low orange peel reflector for maximum output and a pleasing beam
  • Gold and silver plated on all contacts
  • Superior tactical knurling and griping aerodynamic
  • Protrude tactical clicky tail-cap with momentary on/off function
  • Heavy Duty Holster
  • ET21 Diffuser glass filter with Syntax tough and AR coating
  • Tail-standing rubber piece
  • Mil-Spec Paracord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip UP-L1
Specifications:

• Dimensions: Length: 6.3 inch (16.1cm), Body Diameter: 0.8 inch (2.1cm), Head Diameter: 1 inch (26cm)
  • Body Weight (excluding batteries): 3.2 ounces (91grams)
  • Two AA batteries
  • Operating Voltage Range: 0.8V to 3.4V
Runtimes and output:

• Low/General/Turbo: 100+/8/1.5 hours
  • LED Lumen: 11/83/282(360)
  • ANSI FL-1: 9/64/215(272)
Beam profile: Both XP-G and XM-L P20 models offer preciously machined aluminum reflector coated in light orange peel finish for smooth and highly efficient output beam. XP-G gives a tighter and brighter center spot, while XM-L gives out more light overall and has a bigger center spot.
Operations:

• Fully presses the rear switch for constant on (you can pre-select output with head tighten for turbo output and with head loosen for general output). Slightly press the rear switch for momentary on/off.
  • To reach low and hidden strobe mode, loosen the head and follow by tightening and loosening the head to reach the low output mode. Repeat the action to cycle through the strobe-slow blink-S.O.S. modes.
  • Turbo boost function: P20 series turns on at maximum output power at turbo boost output mode. The turbo boost output lasts for three minutes and reduces its regulated output by 20% (30% for P20C2 XML) to prolong runtime.
Kit Options:

• Base Model: Stainless Steel Bezel, Diffuser Filter , Spare O-rings, GITD Switch Boot, Black Stainless Steel Pocket Clip, Heavy Duty Nylon Holster w/ Flip, Mil-Spec Para cord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip, User Manual
  • RGB Kit: Includes everything in base model, plus: Red Filter, Blue Filter and Green Filter

• Model: EagleTac P20A2 MkII XM-L
  • Shipping Weight: 1lbs
I also wish it was more convenient to get to low mode or had a memory but I guess it wouldn't be a very tactical light if it did. A couple of small changes to this light and it would be perfect in my very inexperience opinion. I'll take it as it is though :grin2:.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I recently upgraded my P20C2 with an XM-L module from IlluminationGear, .......

Me too. I do not like the XM-L module UI though. I took it out and put the R5 module back in. The extra lumens of the XM-L was not all that noticeable IMHO. And I love the standard MkII UI.

-

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am i understanding correctly- if you don't get the new xm-l version, the previous generation model does not have strobe?